Thread: Hairstyle ideas for friend's baby shower!

Length
    2"/BCL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Hairstyle ideas for friend's baby shower!

I could just toss it up in a bun and be done with it, but this is the only person IRL that I know who has even a vague interest in very long hair (she's mentioned wanting classic+). I haven't seen her in nearly a year now, and her baby shower is coming up in a few weeks!

So I'd like to have my hair down to show her how far it's come! But also not just down and boring . I'm thinking a half-up, but what kind?! I'd prefer nothing overly complicated, but I'm not opposed to trying to learn a simple braid style. I can do a french or dutch braid, but they're never good, and I haven't really tried anything like a waterfall braid or a lace braid. Rope braids I can do easy peasy, but not french rope braids.

I've got bobby pins, spin pins, clear elastics, a couple (non matching) small flexis, lots of sticks (no pairs, but several that coordinate). I feel like I have too many options I am sort of leaning towards half-up double buns, but at the same time idk!

SL~~~CBL~~~APL~~~BSL~~~WL~~~Hip~~~BCL~~~TBL~~~Classic~~~FTL
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15/29.5/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hairstyle ideas for friend's baby shower!

I like the half up idea! (Though I never think just down is boring... )

Maybe try tooo - some buns that you don't manage as well with your full length that would be fun to try! Whatever you decide, post pics!

Shoulder~APL~BSL
    ~Waist - Onward to Hip?!

Lace braids are really easy, if that’s something you’re thinking about trying. They’re like French or Dutch braids but you just add in the hair from one side rather than both sides. They’re nice as an accent if you want to look like you’ve made an effort.

I love the look of waterfall braids but don’t know how to do them.

A half up with double buns sounds like a fun style

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I was going to say a waterfall braid.
    Or a waterfall twist if you want something a little simpler with the same effect.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Double buns sound adorable! If you have time, try making couple of test up-dos So you will see what you like best and how well each up-do holds up.

Now you are at the crossroads of your life and all your roads lead to strange places

🦉

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Half-up with a Nautilus, and stick a pretty flexi or stick on it. Done! Doesn't need to be complicated to be pretty.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    2"/BCL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire511 View Post
    I like the half up idea! (Though I never think just down is boring... )

Maybe try tooo - some buns that you don't manage as well with your full length that would be fun to try! Whatever you decide, post pics!
    I think I do just because it seems to be the default around here (and is certainly the default for my friend).

I bet there's some buns I could do with just half my hair that'd be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Lace braids are really easy, if that’s something you’re thinking about trying. They’re like French or Dutch braids but you just add in the hair from one side rather than both sides. They’re nice as an accent if you want to look like you’ve made an effort.

I love the look of waterfall braids but don’t know how to do them.

A half up with double buns sounds like a fun style
    Oh they actually sound easier than a full dutch/french braid, because you've only got the one side to keep track of!

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    I was going to say a waterfall braid.
    Or a waterfall twist if you want something a little simpler with the same effect.
    I've been thinking about waterfall braids a lot, because they're up some, but also still all down. I've got some weird anxiety about half-ups because it always feels (to me) like I've got like four whole hairs left down and it looks stupid etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    Double buns sound adorable! If you have time, try making couple of test up-dos So you will see what you like best and how well each up-do holds up.
    I should probably do that, yeah. I'd need to do it with freshly washed hair, as I plan to wash the night before so it's at its nicest when down!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Half-up with a Nautilus, and stick a pretty flexi or stick on it. Done! Doesn't need to be complicated to be pretty.
    That's certainly true!

SL~~~CBL~~~APL~~~BSL~~~WL~~~Hip~~~BCL~~~TBL~~~Classic~~~FTL
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I know what you mean about half-ups leaving like no hair left down. When I do a half-up, I take all the hair from like eye-level and up, but THEN I go underneath and let a lot of the hair in the middle fall back down. So it *looks* like a half-up but it's really just the top layer of the hair.
    Finally made a signature!
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

If you're worried about not having enough hair left down, how about 2 smaller braids on either side in the front and then joined with a flexi in the back? You can just take the small section in front of your ear and leave the rest, then pulling them back still semi-contains everthing just as well as a half up would.

ETA; here's a terrible example of what I mean, I'm sure it could look alot neater It was a quick style to demo the new clip
    Last edited by milosmomma; April 16th, 2019 at 10:40 PM.