Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Henna, advices?

Default New to Henna, advices?

Iím new to Henna after discovering the amazing benefits I decided I wanted to give it a try! But Iím scared due to my disastrous hair history. 😣 Ever since I was a child Iíve had hip-length, defined medium brown curly hair but that changed when I damaged it by flat ironing my hair everyday and bleaching it blonde. My hair went through so much that it completely stopped growing. Itís been 6 years and my hair hasnít grown below my shoulders!! 😭 Update: Two years ago I stopped dying my hair completely! But itís been only 4 months since I completely stopped using heat tools on my hair. Iíve let the dye grow out (I almost have virgin hair) but the ends are still a little darker than the rest of my hair. A little hair cut can fix it but Iím trying to grow out my hair as much as possible so I donít wanna do that. Is Henna going to blend in well with my natural medium brown color and my dark brown dye processed ends? Has anybody been through the same thing as me?

Length
    shldr/clsc/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: New to Henna, advices?

Henna is orange. If you don't want your hair to come out red, look at something else, like sedr. I have a feeling you won't be happy with it unless you're actually looking to go red.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lilyawad View Post
    Iím new to Henna after discovering the amazing benefits I decided I wanted to give it a try! But Iím scared due to my disastrous hair history. �� Ever since I was a child Iíve had hip-length, defined medium brown curly hair but that changed when I damaged it by flat ironing my hair everyday and bleaching it blonde. My hair went through so much that it completely stopped growing. Itís been 6 years and my hair hasnít grown below my shoulders!! �� Update: Two years ago I stopped dying my hair completely! But itís been only 4 months since I completely stopped using heat tools on my hair. Iíve let the dye grow out (I almost have virgin hair) but the ends are still a little darker than the rest of my hair. A little hair cut can fix it but Iím trying to grow out my hair as much as possible so I donít wanna do that. Is Henna going to blend in well with my natural medium brown color and my dark brown dye processed ends? Has anybody been through the same thing as me?
    Henna is red, unless you use boxed henna's and to get a brown there will be indigo in there. Indigo + bleach = green hair, so I would not go there if I were you.

Henna might be "natural" but that doesn't mean it's better for your hair.

Your hair might still be breaking off because stopping heat has only been 4 months. It's like growing out from a shaved head, no joke. Examine your hair for white dots up the strand, your hair will form a sharp angle at that dot, which means impending breakage. They will not come off right away if you leave them alone, but they need to be trimmed out... eventually (I grew shoulder to hip with them in my hair before taking them out).

I would use a semi permanent dye, if I were you.

I would not mess with henna!

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/F/ii

Henna would probably give your hair a red or orange tint over the brown color. But it won't remove the brown color, it just adds another layer of color over it.

Henna is permanent. If you don't like the color, you have to grow it out. So, please make sure you test a small section of your hair first.

You said your hair stopped growing, but do you mean it breaks off or sheds quickly? It might not take long to grow out virgin shoulder length hair, now that you stopped using heat tools and bleach.

I would suggest waiting at least six months, and see how your roots look then. You might like your virgin hair so much that you don't want to do henna.

Thanks! Iíd honestly be happy with any color the henna gives me as long as the ends donít look different from the rest of my hair. I feel like my hair isnít growing from my shoulders. About 80% is virgin and the rest are dark brown, damaged colored ends that Iím afraid to let go off... It just would look too short than what it already is.

Length
    Pixie/15"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Henna is usually pretty good at covering different colors but it there is a significant difference in your darker bits, it could still show up darker through the henna.

With medium brown hair, you will probably get a copper or bright auburn that is absolutely permanent so make sure to stand test.
    The more layers you do, the darker it will get but will always be orange based.

Henna will also loosen your curls if you apply multiple applications. Took about 6 layers for my curls to just about disappear. If you only touch up roots, this won't happen.

Your hair is growing but damaged ends will break off so you don't gain any length. Henna may or may not strengthen them enough to stop the breakage.
    Stay calm and waffle on

You know exactly whatís going on with my hair I wish I could post a picture but I still havenít figured out how. Iím happy to have come across this community thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Henna is red, unless you use boxed henna's and to get a brown there will be indigo in there. Indigo + bleach = green hair, so I would not go there if I were you.

Henna might be "natural" but that doesn't mean it's better for your hair.

Your hair might still be breaking off because stopping heat has only been 4 months. It's like growing out from a shaved head, no joke. Examine your hair for white dots up the strand, your hair will form a sharp angle at that dot, which means impending breakage. They will not come off right away if you leave them alone, but they need to be trimmed out... eventually (I grew shoulder to hip with them in my hair before taking them out).

I would use a semi permanent dye, if I were you.

I would not mess with henna!

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your helpful advice. Thatís exactly whatís going on with my hair I have breakage In my ends and white dots and I just cut my ends one month ago! Iím trying my best to embrace my natural hair.

Length
    Jaw/APL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hi lilyawad I'd recommend doing a test on hair harvested from your hairbrush before committing to anything. I hennaed over multicoloured hair back in January and it really helped me to run that test first. The henna was surprisingly forgiving, and the other benefits were great.

If you have the time, I'd recommend collecting as much shed hair as you can, and using some sticky tape to hold the roots down so you can align the strands all in the same direction. It takes ages to align them, but it'll really help show you whether you'll still have a demarkation line, or if it'l blend in as you want it to.

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend reading Nightshade's ebook on henna and the Ancient Sunrise ebook on henna. They both have really great advice about technique, the science behind henna, and results on different hair.

Best of luck!

Hello ☺️ Iím glad to have followed your advice I tested it out on a few strands for two hours because I got impatient so I went for it! I left it on for 4 hours because I was scared though... My ends turned out a bit darker but It naturally blends in with the rest of my dark-brown orangish hair. My roots and scalp are lighter and orange than the rest of my hair iím not sure why since only my ends are previously colored but I hope it goes away. I wish I could post pictures but I still havenít figured out how since Iím new to this forum.