Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 87

Thread: Don't like how I look with my hair up

  1. #71
    Member Tinyponies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,067
    Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    I love having long hair thats out of my way and tucked up safe. But I have this experience too (though Im not prepared to stop wearing my hair up). Ive got a long face and have discovered that round earrings help to balance things out a bit.

  2. #72
    Member Jo Ann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,620
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    It took some time for me to get used to showing my ears! I have (to me, anyway) Dumbo ears and a diamond/oval face. I inherited my high cheekbones from my Grandma Rhoda, and more than a few folks have asked me if I have an American Indian somewhere in my ancestry (I do, on Grandma Rhoda's side of the family).

    As long as my hair is out of my face, and doesn't get caught in the reel I attach my name tag on, I'm happy! Besides, it shows off the grey in my hair, and it seems I'm getting more of it by the day
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

  3. #73
    Member Jools69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    UK
    Age
    51
    Posts
    561
    Length
    22APL/33HL?/43CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    Quote Originally Posted by maddie9 View Post
    The webcam and photo thing, oh my goodness. I struggle with that so much haha, especially since the pandemic since I'm in front of a webcam much more frequently.

    It's good to remember that the lens can really change the dimensionality of your face and can especially make a difference if you have pronounced features or a long face. Remember that's not what people see when they look at you in person I'm not a photographer but reading about lens focal length made me understand the issue with how my face looks in pics that had perplexed me for years haha. And that knowledge helps me worry a lot less. I know many people who I think are very beautiful (both men and women) but they don't look anything like themselves in photos!

    And as you say, sometimes we just project our worry on how we look on an image but looking back we find a different perspective :-)
    Indeed. I was only just discussing this with my son, on how we look differently in the mirror than what we see in photos and webcams. I understand that with photography, it’s taking a 3D image and turning it into a 2D one. So some distortion will occur. He explained that it does involve the lens aperture. On mobile phones, for example, have a wide lens to capture as much light as possible. So it’s squeezing a wide image together, thus making it appear longer and thinner. Not good if you have a long face with a high forehead!
    Last edited by Jools69; April 4th, 2021 at 12:51 AM.

  4. #74
    Member Feral_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Oop North, UK
    Posts
    1,974
    Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    Quote Originally Posted by Jools69 View Post
    Indeed. I was only just discussing this with my son, on how we look differently in the mirror than what we see in photos and webcams. I understand that with photography, it’s taking a 3D image and turning it into a 2D one. So some distortion will occur. He explained that it does involve the lens aperture. On mobile phones, for example, have a wide lens to capture as much light as possible. So it’s squeezing a wide image together, thus making it appear longer and thinner. Not good if you have a long face with a high forehead!
    Our faces aren't symmetrical. Studies done on this have involved matching one side to the other to make it symmetrical and they just look wrong! Also people and dogs struggle to read facial cues if they are symmetrical - the left gaze bias theories. So rejoice in wonky faces!
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

  5. #75
    Member Jools69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    UK
    Age
    51
    Posts
    561
    Length
    22APL/33HL?/43CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Our faces aren't symmetrical. Studies done on this have involved matching one side to the other to make it symmetrical and they just look wrong! Also people and dogs struggle to read facial cues if they are symmetrical - the left gaze bias theories. So rejoice in wonky faces!
    Yes, I recall watching a documentary years ago which had a similar result.

    Indeed, let our wonky faces rejoice!

  6. #76

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll throw it out for consideration: faux bangs. All the ones I've seen actually stay in place better if your hair is slicked back, and they add that fluff and fullness around your face without cutting any of your own hair. I would love to hear about some kind of faux bangs that somehow attach well enough to have when your hair is loose, but at least when I most need them (when real hair is pulled back) I can use them.

  7. #77
    Member Kathie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,162
    Length
    16/18.5/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    Quote Originally Posted by maddie9 View Post
    The webcam and photo thing, oh my goodness. I struggle with that so much haha, especially since the pandemic since I'm in front of a webcam much more frequently.

    It's good to remember that the lens can really change the dimensionality of your face and can especially make a difference if you have pronounced features or a long face. Remember that's not what people see when they look at you in person I'm not a photographer but reading about lens focal length made me understand the issue with how my face looks in pics that had perplexed me for years haha. And that knowledge helps me worry a lot less. I know many people who I think are very beautiful (both men and women) but they don't look anything like themselves in photos!

    And as you say, sometimes we just project our worry on how we look on an image but looking back we find a different perspective :-)
    Sadly I've heard of people asking for cosmetic surgery so that they look better in selfies.... even though, as you say, with a lens that close the face/image is distorted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyponies View Post
    I love having long hair that’s out of my way and tucked up safe. But I have this experience too (though I’m not prepared to stop wearing my hair up). I’ve got a long face and have discovered that round earrings help to balance things out a bit.
    Me too! Earrings help.. they create some side interest / width. I find long dangly ones are best for me... they seem to work a little bit like wispies. I also bun high when I have the length to do so.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.
    No trims since June 10th 2021

  8. #78
    Member Bri-Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,995
    Length
    BSL/BCL+/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    I hate how I look with my hair up. So, I usually wear it up when I'm at home, when I go out I usually wear a side braid.
    I quote to add: to me it has nothing to do with my face shape. It has to do with the look. Wearing my hair up make me feel like I'm wearing a piece of clothes I would never wear.
    Next Goal: TBL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

  9. #79
    ^ YLVA, not YIVA! Ylva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    SW Coast of Finland
    Posts
    8,492
    Length
    Hip/CL+/MTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    I quote to add: to me it has nothing to do with my face shape. It has to do with the look. Wearing my hair up make me feel like I'm wearing a piece of clothes I would never wear.
    I also experience something similar.

    I do wear my hair up occasionally for practicality, but I feel that my style is specifically to have that wild, untamed hair, and bunning it makes me feel muted.
    snjallr mar hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann vi vg varask;
    en elli gefr hnum engi fri, tt hnum geirar gefi.


  10. #80
    Member Hexana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389
    Length
    3.9/24/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Don't like how I look with my hair up

    People say I look like a very strict teacher when I wear my hair up, which is all the time, so I quess that is why nobody even thinks to mess with me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •