Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "No unnecessary touching" challenge

Length
    SL/CBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Wink The "No unnecessary touching" challenge

This is a thread for the No Unnecessary Touching challenge, NUT challenge

For anyone who feels they are constantly touching and playing with their hair and who wants to put a stop to it. Let's encourage and support each other through this challenge of killing a bad, hair-unfriendly habit.
    You are cast out from the heavens to the ground
    Blackened feathers falling down

Length
    SL/CBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: The "No unnecessary touching" challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Simpscone View Post

I'm currently wearing my hair down a lot and wurly and I just find myself "scrunching" it throughout the day, or playing with individual wurls. I'm sure this can't be good for my hair, no matter what I'm trying to convince myself!

I wanted to try a wearing my hair up challenge because I thought that would help, but with the weather not being warm here yet I've been enjoying it down too much!!
    I do the exact same thing. I also tend to have grabby hands even when my hair is up. I'll find an opening and pull some strands out of my up-do, then twirl those around... It's addicting.
    I also still have to wear warm hats and beanies so my hair has to be down a lot of the time. I braid it but it's not the same as putting it properly up an away.

My other hair sin is excessive S&Ding It's awesome in moderation but I get way too scissor happy and start cutting away every single strand that is not in perfect condition. I'm going to use this thread as my daily (or almost daily) check-in thread and keep log how often I actually S&D and how often I touch my hair.

Length
    CL/22/30
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    I do the exact same thing. I also tend to have grabby hands even when my hair is up. I'll find an opening and pull some strands out of my up-do, then twirl those around... It's addicting.
    I also still have to wear warm hats and beanies so my hair has to be down a lot of the time. I braid it but it's not the same as putting it properly up an away.

My other hair sin is excessive S&Ding It's awesome in moderation but I get way too scissor happy and start cutting away every single strand that is not in perfect condition. I'm going to use this thread as my daily (or almost daily) check-in thread and keep log how often I actually S&D and how often I touch my hair.
    Hahaha the NUT challenge!! Love that

I feel like my hair is too short for braids at the moment, they flip out like crazy! So Iím trying to enjoy wearing it down but itís so easy to twirl some pieces and want to constantly make sure it is sitting nicely.

Iíve never done S&D, Iíve tried having a look for splits but I canít see any - not sure if my hair is just healthier than I thought at the moment or if I canít figure out what to look for!

Thatís a good idea, Iíve washed my hair tonight and tried not to touch it as it air dries.

Length
    Pixie/HL/MTL
    Type
    2a/F/i

I laughed out loud once I read 'NUT Challenge' haha!

I used to constantly toy with my hair in class back in college. It must have done a number on me because I ended up with so many splits. After spending practically 3 hours S&Ding yesterday I've been more careful not to touch my hair when I had no reason to. I think I've done quite a decent job of keeping my hands out of my locks today. I'd really rather not have to spend another 3 hours trimming the fruits of my bad habits lol.

Length
    SL/CBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Simpscone View Post
    Hahaha the NUT challenge!! Love that

I feel like my hair is too short for braids at the moment, they flip out like crazy! So I’m trying to enjoy wearing it down but it’s so easy to twirl some pieces and want to constantly make sure it is sitting nicely.

I’ve never done S&D, I’ve tried having a look for splits but I can’t see any - not sure if my hair is just healthier than I thought at the moment or if I can’t figure out what to look for!

That’s a good idea, I’ve washed my hair tonight and tried not to touch it as it air dries.

Lucky girl, your hair might just be very resilient! I have bleach damage from highlights so I check those a lot, usually by holding the strands in front of my laptop screen. I can see damage also on a sunny day against some dark background (with dark hair it could be easier with light background).

Ohh you reminded me: that's another thing for me, I always finger-comb my hair while drying it. Not sure if I should keep it up or ban that habit too... I need to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by blvnkness View Post
    I laughed out loud once I read 'NUT Challenge' haha!

I used to constantly toy with my hair in class back in college. It must have done a number on me because I ended up with so many splits. After spending practically 3 hours S&Ding yesterday I've been more careful not to touch my hair when I had no reason to. I think I've done quite a decent job of keeping my hands out of my locks today. I'd really rather not have to spend another 3 hours trimming the fruits of my bad habits lol.
    I'm glad you girls appreciate the name of this challenge!

Good job blvnkness, keep it up This is my fourth day of no unnecessary touching and no S&Ding but it's still so hard. I keep my hair up and myself busy and if that doesn't work, I have to oil my hair. I won't touch oily hair so that's a sure way to keep my hands off my hair.

Length
    CL/22/30
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post

Lucky girl, your hair might just be very resilient! I have bleach damage from highlights so I check those a lot, usually by holding the strands in front of my laptop screen. I can see damage also on a sunny day against some dark background (with dark hair it could be easier with light background).

Ohh you reminded me: that's another thing for me, I always finger-comb my hair while drying it. Not sure if I should keep it up or ban that habit too... I need to experiment.
    My hair is definitely resilient, I've put it through a lot

I've put my hair half-up today and that's helping me not to touch it! I touched it this morning to refresh my wurls, and I've fiddled with it a little when going to the bathroom and seeing them in the mirror, but doing well so far today!
    16 months bleach-free
    Last trim: 18th February 2019
    Next goal: 26" - BSL!

Length
    SL/CBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Sounds good Simpscone! I had a wash day and finger-combed my hair after drying but that's it. No S&D and no fiddling. So day 5 has been good.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Great idea for a challenge, I suspect a few people here with trich might be tempted to join.

I can leave my hair alone pretty easily. I hate playing with my hair and overly touching it. I don't think it's that good for potential damage and such.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    birth/Knee/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Great idea for a challenge, I suspect a few people here with trich might be tempted to join.

I can leave my hair alone pretty easily. I hate playing with my hair and overly touching it. I don't think it's that good for potential damage and such.
    That sounds like bragging tbh.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I have a necklace I love to play with instead

JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR