Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The "No unnecessary touching" challenge

Default Re: The "No unnecessary touching" challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    Argh, sucks to hear leafygreens18! Would it help to slick them back with some styling product, leave-in, oil, aloe vera gel...?
    It probably would lol, but I hate the way I look with slick baked hair and I don't ever put any product in my hair. Just water shampoo conditioner and my oil treatments pre wash. I can't stand the way product feels, I feel like my hair is just wet or oily if I put anything in it, I just need to stop

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Caraid♫ View Post
    oh now this would be a hard challenge for me! I'm constantly putting up then down then up then down, brushing it, running my fingers through it, changing my mind about my hairstyle a million times.... I never really thought about just how much I touch my hair before thinking about it now!
    Maybe I will try touching it less, I don't know if I can commit to fully doing no unnecessary touching

silly question but what is NUT?
    It really is so hard for some of us! I envy those who can leave their hair alone You can definitely do this challenge by just touching it less. Aiming to leave your hair alone as much as possible is the idea

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens18 View Post
    It probably would lol, but I hate the way I look with slick baked hair and I don't ever put any product in my hair. Just water shampoo conditioner and my oil treatments pre wash. I can't stand the way product feels, I feel like my hair is just wet or oily if I put anything in it, I just need to stop
    Yeah, that's understandable. I hate styling products and how they make my hair feel... Maybe you should oil your fingers instead lol Sorry not being very helpful. Gotta keep our hands busy somehow other than playing with hair!

Now you are at the crossroads of your life and all your roads lead to strange places

🦉

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

It really is so hard for some of us! I envy those who can leave their hair alone You can definitely do this challenge by just touching it less. Aiming to leave your hair alone as much as possible is the idea
    I'll give it a try!
    today I've put my hair up in a bun and the goal is not not take down and redo this bun a million times for no reason throughout the day!
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I'll give it a try!
    today I've put my hair up in a bun and the goal is not not take down and redo this bun a million times for no reason throughout the day!
    That's a great way to start the challenge! Today I'm avoiding unnecessary detangling and finger-combing as my hair is drying. Let's all take it one day at a time

Now you are at the crossroads of your life and all your roads lead to strange places

🦉

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I tried to consciously only finger comb the ends of my hair today if I had to touch it and not all of it. I think I did all right.

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

That's a great way to start the challenge! Today I'm avoiding unnecessary detangling and finger-combing as my hair is drying. Let's all take it one day at a time
    one day at a time is the best way to go!
    I did ok yesterday! It stayed up in it's bun basically the entire day and I feel like I get less anxious and obsessive about my hair when I'm not touching it for sure!
    Today I'm cleaning a couple apartments so it'll for sure stay up untouched until I do an oil treatment tonight!
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    I tried to consciously only finger comb the ends of my hair today if I had to touch it and not all of it. I think I did all right.
    '

Good job

one day at a time is the best way to go!
    I did ok yesterday! It stayed up in it's bun basically the entire day and I feel like I get less anxious and obsessive about my hair when I'm not touching it for sure!
    Today I'm cleaning a couple apartments so it'll for sure stay up untouched until I do an oil treatment tonight!
    Well done, keep going!

Yesterday was okay, today so far too... resisting the urge to wear my hair loose

🦉

Length
    15/15.5/22?
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

I am soooo bad about this.
    My hair would look so much less greasy if I could just like.... stop
    I'm collecting more headbands and pins and stuff to try and help, I feel like if it's out of my face more I'll do it less.

Length
    Chin/SL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

I can't stop subconsciously touching, scratching my scalp when I'm hit with anxiety, and this happens every day (and night) for me. Also running my fingers through my hair, and unfortunately putting it up makes no difference.

I also bit my lips, and the inside of my mouth subconsciously. It's really hard to stop myself because I don't even tend to realize I'm doing it. I tried tapping and scratching whatever surface I found to try and distract myself when I'm anxious... But so far I haven't gotten used to it yet.

Length
    15/15.5/22?
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Natalina View Post
    I can't stop subconsciously touching, scratching my scalp when I'm hit with anxiety, and this happens every day (and night) for me. Also running my fingers through my hair, and unfortunately putting it up makes no difference.

I also bit my lips, and the inside of my mouth subconsciously. It's really hard to stop myself because I don't even tend to realize I'm doing it. I tried tapping and scratching whatever surface I found to try and distract myself when I'm anxious... But so far I haven't gotten used to it yet.
    Anxiety can be rough. Stress balls can be really helpful.
    There's also an activity I like that can help with mindfulness.
    Basically, anxiety is fear of the future, depression is fear of the past, and mindfulness is the idea that if you stay in the present you can be calm, because things aren't scary in the present.
    Deep breathing is the easiest go-to, but I've worked with a lot of people who struggle with that just because it's difficult to let go of thoughts, so I prefer a five-senses exercise.
    You try to think of five things in the room you can see that you didn't notice before, four things you can feel, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, one thing you can taste. Really take your time with it. It can be super helpful for releasing anxiety.
    Sorry if this is sort of off topic or not asked for. I'm a therapist so I kind of feel a need to help out where I can.