Thread: DIY gentle clarifying shampoo?

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default DIY gentle clarifying shampoo?

Sorry I know this is probably a super obvious question, but I checked the main list of recipes and I only saw conditioning treatments.

Also I know the internet has a ton of recipes in general, but some can be damaging (like baking soda) or just not helpful, so I'm back to consult the experts.

I have fine, wavy hair that tangles very easily and gets very frizzy when I use a normal shampoo. I could spend however much money on a gentle shampoo from the store that may or may not work... But if I can mix something up in my own kitchen to try first, that's what I'd prefer.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: DIY gentle clarifying shampoo?

Try the HASK charcoal shampoo. It doesn't have sulfates and is a clarifying one.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Try the HASK charcoal shampoo. It doesn't have sulfates and is a clarifying one.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have a HASK brand Argan oil shampoo, and I find that even that is pretty strong for my hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If that's too harsh, then try CO-washes, the As-I-Am one comes to mind. The Mane Choice do good ones too.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

If there’s a shampoo you have at home, but thinks it’s too much, the easiest thing you can do to make it gentler, is dilute it. They have those plastic pointy top bottles for ketchup you can buy at most stores, those make it easy for dilution.

Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by renia22 View Post
    If there’s a shampoo you have at home, but thinks it’s too much, the easiest thing you can do to make it gentler, is dilute it. They have those plastic pointy top bottles for ketchup you can buy at most stores, those make it easy for dilution.
    Dilute with what, water? Does it really make a difference versus just putting less in your hair? And doesn't it make the shampoo very runny?

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

If you are looking for a way to make your shampoo more gentle then as suggested, diluting it with just water will help make it less harsh, it will be runny but it's fairly easy to get used to that. You could also dilute it with conditioning ingredients like aloe vera gel. I have heard of people mixing it with conditioner and I'm pretty sure many moons ago I tried that but couldn't say how well it turned out.

I do find that a pre-wash oiling helps the shampoo be less harsh on my length too.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

^Yes, dilute shampoo with water to make it more gentle. The science-y hair blog talks about it here:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...rwise.html?m=1

Length
    Waist/3 ft./6ft.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

That is a very good blog! I only wish she'd post more. Everything on there is useful and well explained.