Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassia vs henna for conditioning

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Cassia vs henna for conditioning

I know cassia doesn't last as long, but is the initial conditioning the same result as henna? I'm still not sure I want to commit to henna, but I think I would like the conditioning aspect. Trying cassia without developing the dye would be safe.
    Last edited by Liz H; March 30th, 2019 at 08:47 PM.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/43.5"/50+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Cassia vs henna for conditioning

Cassia doesn't have as strong of a conditioning effect as henna, in my experience. It certainly does help, but it doesn't give the same amount as henna does.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
    I know cassia doesn't last as long, but is the initial conditioning the same result as henna? I'm still not sure I want to commit to henna, but I think I would like the conditioning aspect. Trying cassia without developing the dye would be safe.
    Henna made my individual strands thicker, cassia never did that in the slightest. So no, I had no effects from using cassia on the hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Henna deposits the dye molecules (lawsone?) within the hair, binding it to keratin, and thus physically strengthens and thickens the hair. Cassia coats the hair with what is essentially wax - I believe henna does this a little as well, but that's the effect that wears off when the wax is eroded (I can think of the right word) or washed away. The dye molecules bound to the hair from henna don't leave, so the effect from that is permanent.

I hope that made some kind of sense (when the brainfog kicks in you'd never believe English is actually my native language ) ... Nightshade is our resident expert so if she comes along she is able to explain it better!
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Tiny trim and now onto Calf!
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair - phew

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I used cassia more as an exfoliant for a few months. It seemed like it did change the texture of my hair a bit, but for the worse. It had more body but it was rougher, somehow.

Never used henna because I'm nervous about playing with color.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Henna deposits the dye molecules (lawsone?) within the hair, binding it to keratin, and thus physically strengthens and thickens the hair. Cassia coats the hair with what is essentially wax - I believe henna does this a little as well, but that's the effect that wears off when the wax is eroded (I can think of the right word) or washed away. The dye molecules bound to the hair from henna don't leave, so the effect from that is permanent.

I hope that made some kind of sense (when the brainfog kicks in you'd never believe English is actually my native language ) ... Nightshade is our resident expert so if she comes along she is able to explain it better!
    hahahhaa XD

Okay, here's the short version, but I break down the long version in this blog post if you want the entire thing.

THE SHORT VERSION

Sedr- The leaves of this plant have a permeable waxy coating to help retain moisture. It is the fatty acids and secondary alcohols of this epicuticular wax that gives Sedr its conditioning and cleansing benefits. As such, it will wear off over time and needs to be refreshed every 4-8 weeks.

Senna (cassia)– The conditioning properties and golden color come from Chrysophanic acid. The tannins and chrysophanic acid in senna also have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Needs to be refreshed every 4-8 weeks.

Henna– There are two steps in the conditioning properties of henna. The first is the lawsone molecule, which binds to the keratin in hair and permanently makes makes hair red-orange, stronger and thicker. Also a desert plant, henna leaves a permeable coating on hair similar to that of Sedr’s. This coating fills in rough spots on the cuticle and helps reduce damage from outside sources such as combing and styling. This permeable coating, however, fades after 4-8 weeks.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Maybe I've been doing it wrong... I have cassia powder and would just soak it in boiled water to make a paste, but it was always still gritty. Otherwise I would just add it to my homemade cleanser/conditioner. Is there a better way to handle it?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sallytz View Post
    Maybe I've been doing it wrong... I have cassia powder and would just soak it in boiled water to make a paste, but it was always still gritty. Otherwise I would just add it to my homemade cleanser/conditioner. Is there a better way to handle it?
    I've read of people using a mixer to smooth the paste. I've not tried it, but it's supposed to make it easier to rinse out.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've read of people using a mixer to smooth the paste. I've not tried it, but it's supposed to make it easier to rinse out.
    I tried it again recently and I made sure to use very hot water (or tea, in my case) and I let the cassia sit for at least thirty minutes. I think that helped it to "cook" and soften. Then I added in some homemade oat/flax meal conditioner.

But I think the main thing was that I had just gotten lazy about throwing some cassia into a lukewarm mix, and that's why it was gritty.

Type
    2a/F/ii

I would say no. Henna made my hair shiny and stronger, and thicker.

Cassia gave it more volume, but it didn't feel conditioned or look shiny.