Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is ROO?

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default What is ROO?

I thought there was a sticky with LHC hair terms, but I can't find it, just the LHC glossary post. Anyway, I can't even guess on the ROO acronym!

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: What is ROO?

It means Rinse Out Oil
    Lapushka has the link to her thread in her siggy
    Rinse-out oil (ROO) / Oil Rinse

ETA: LOL AmaryllisRed....you posted as I was composing; I hit post and there you were

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks. I love your avatar!

Is there a sticky thread somewhere for abbreviations, terms etc, or did I imagine that?

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Outside of the LHC this is known as the "oil rinse" / "oil rinsing" (it's a pretty old method of applying oil to wet hair in-between shampooing and conditioning or in-between 2 or more rounds of conditioning with or without additional rinsing in between).
    It's only on this forum that I've seen it referred to as "ROO", so the confusion is understandable.

Yup....here is the page with many useful links.

Index to Important Threads and Resources

It is a stickied announcement at the top of the newbie section.....and all the forums

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Oh I came in way late to this thread. Yes, it's rinse-out oil, aka just a plain "oil rinse" after washing the hair. The link is in my signature, but everyone else already provided it. That is awesome you guys, thank you so much!

In any case, should you ever lose it, just give us a shout! No problem.

What I want to say, if you can't read through the thread, less oil = more! Just start with 5 to 10 drops after a wash, and I would not recommend this on the scalp unless you are *very* dry on the scalp. Since after all, you are applying the oil *after* the wash!

Good luck!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Outside of the LHC this is known as the "oil rinse" / "oil rinsing" (it's a pretty old method of applying oil to wet hair in-between shampooing and conditioning or in-between 2 or more rounds of conditioning with or without additional rinsing in between).
    It's only on this forum that I've seen it referred to as "ROO", so the confusion is understandable.
    Is it used by all hair types outside of LHC? As far as I understand - though I could very well be wrong! - it originated for type 4 hair and was a total rinse, i.e. all over, whereas most of us here use it just for the ends on not-type 4 hair. I wonder if that's why it's become known as rinse-out oil instead of oil rinse here.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Is it used by all hair types outside of LHC? As far as I understand - though I could very well be wrong! - it originated for type 4 hair and was a total rinse, i.e. all over, whereas most of us here use it just for the ends on not-type 4 hair. I wonder if that's why it's become known as rinse-out oil instead of oil rinse here.
    The baby just had to have a name... I wouldn't look for more of an explanation. I just happened upon a video of a young woman doing this, and I just started a thread on it, that's all.

ETA/ Because full oiling doesn't work for me, and seemingly not for a lot of non type 4 women & men, I made the thread & method my own.
    Last edited by lapushka; March 19th, 2019 at 05:21 PM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I noticed this on the Sciencey hair blog - Oil Rinsing is mentioned near the bottom of the article (paragraph (4)).
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...coat-hair.html

It’s interesting because a much larger amount of oil is recommended, not just a few drops (ratio of 1:4 or 1:2 with conditioner). The article says to apply it like conditioner (and then add conditioner) so I assume it’s up to the individual as to how they condition their hair, whether it’s just ears down or further up to the roots.