Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you lose Curl as you gain Length?

Length
    Birth/40"/44"
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Default Do you lose Curl as you gain Length?

Hello, just a question I'm sure has been brought up before. I did try to search for one but to no avail. If you know of one please link it! I would enjoy the read. Other wise.... Here we go. I've begun to notice that as my hair is getting longer I'm stating to lose the curl I had at my roots that would give me volume. Now my wash day hair has all the curls I could want but when it comes to about day 3 or 4 its almost like a soft wave that bounds into my curls at the bottom. Just wondering if I am not the only one to experience this. My styling routine is LOC leave in a little oil and then some light hold gel. I don't want to over do the gel so I'm very light handed with it. And I don't use much oil only on the length and I don't put much of anything near my scelp... Any advice would be greatly welcomed. I do have a few face framing layers. So they do spring up a bit. So just a bit confused. Thanks for reading i know its a bit rambled.
    ~Tailbone~ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ~Classic~ 41 42 43 ~Finger Tip~
    ​2019:No Trimming Challenge!

Length
    28"/31"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Do you lose Curl as you gain Length?

I don't have any advice, sorry, but I can definitely confirm that I lose curl as I gain length. I think the weight of all your hair just stretches it out the longer and heavier your hair gets. The bottom doesn't really support any weight, so I find my ends are always curly, but of course the roots are being pulled on by the rest of your hair. I don't know how you could fix it.
    ................................................... ...................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC .................................................. .................................................. .......

Length
    Birth/40"/44"
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    I don't have any advice, sorry, but I can definitely confirm that I lose curl as I gain length. I think the weight of all your hair just stretches it out the longer and heavier your hair gets. The bottom doesn't really support any weight, so I find my ends are always curly, but of course the roots are being pulled on by the rest of your hair. I don't know how you could fix it.
    thank you for the confirmation!

As hair increases in length it also increases in weight. And that weight can weigh-down the curls, somewhat.

I have a pattern similar to what you describe.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Oh yes, it can definitely happen.

In fact, it seems that at different lengths the way textures get expressed can change quite a bit. Very short hair (e.g. buzzcuts to shoulder) may be too short to show the full extent of some curl/wave patterns, so it may look even straighter, then it can get curlier, but after a certain length again hair gets weighed down and stretched by its own weight and thus can look much straighter, so a typical look can be that of straighter roots, wavier lengths and curls and spirals forming mostly at the ends. If you want to encourage curl while keeping length, layering may be an option.

Changing length is such an important factor that I can never confidently classify my own hair, for example, it's definitely very wavy or even curly if it's midback or shorter, but it typically looks almost completely straight now at current length. It's not that unusual, I think.
    I think the weight of hair, the type of cut, the humidity, the products one uses and the detangling/styling methods all matter in current wave/curl pattern expression.
    Last edited by meteor; March 5th, 2019 at 08:59 PM.

Length
    birth/Knee/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

For me my hair stays the same no matter the length. A frizzy mess.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    MTL/63/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Yes it does, my hair is only wavy, 2b-2c but the full texture only lasts after air drying, wash day that is, then the wurls are just waves on the next day and then because I do not wear it down, the rest of the week it is just straight. I think curls or tighter spirals might be a different story but I would imagine they also loosen as you grow more and more, just the way gravity works.
    "We are like roses that have never bothered to bloom when we should have bloomed and it is as if the sun has become disgusted with the waiting"

Length
    Birth/40"/44"
    Type
    3b/M/ii

thank you all for letting me know and might i say you all have such beautiful textures of curls! @Meteor, Littlestarface, cjk and Ligeia Noire

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

My hair definitely loosened as it got longer, around BSL it was quite weighed down and straighter. If you really want to keep volume the only thing would be to have some layers cut in to get a bit of movement in and the top layers not as weighed down but personally I think it looks really nice when itís straighter at the top falling into waves/whurls at the ends!

Length
    APL/waist/:D
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

I don't think the actual curl loosens as it gets longer, more like it gets stretched out due to the weight.

I can still get volume by styling and scrunching my hair upside down and diffusing. That gives me a lot of curl at the roots and throughout the length as well.

That being said, my curls stretch out to loose waves the longer I go from wash day - it's natural, and the buns and braids we do also stretch it.

Some curlies use hard hold gels to combat this so I guess you could try that if it really bothers you. Also making your hairstyles really loose so as to not squish the pattern too much.

Here's how straight my hair can get, from 3a/3b post wash (see my post history, I have a recent pic, styled with gel). I think it was about waist length curly so around hip+ in straight length?