Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you lose Curl as you gain Length?

Length
    26.5"/33"/term
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Do you lose Curl as you gain Length?

Quote Originally Posted by priinnz View Post
    I sometimes wonder if itís a combination of things like loose hair wave pattern being apparent only at longer lengths and also maybe the ends are more damaged so have less weight and do not lay straight
    That makes sense.
    1, 2, 3, testing! Trying to figure out how to put a picture here...

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

When I was a kid, I had Shirley Temple ringlets that pointed straight out from where they grew. They were kept reasonably short, mostly because mum and I could actually deal with them that way. I was in high school before they got long enough to hang down. I stated to lose visible ringlets against my scalp at about cbl; but I did still have a fairly obvious curl happening right from the roots. Once I got past bsl, my curl began to concentrate on the bottom half of my hair, which is where it still focuses most of the ringlet shape. I still have a wave happening near my scalp, but now it looks more like a soft finger wave (think 20s flapper).

Really depends on your hair and the strength of the curl pattern. Tighter patterns will hold a curl shape at greater lengths, while looser patterns will eventually start to concentrate only at the ends. Looking at it, you have a loose curl that is becoming more obvious. That could be an old texture that hasnt fallen out yet; or it could the result of care that you have only started recently. Stealth curls are surprisingly common from what Iíve seen.
    Classic...Fingertip...TBA
    2017.....2018.........???

Length
    Birth/40"/44"
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    When I was a kid, I had Shirley Temple ringlets that pointed straight out from where they grew. They were kept reasonably short, mostly because mum and I could actually deal with them that way. I was in high school before they got long enough to hang down. I stated to lose visible ringlets against my scalp at about cbl; but I did still have a fairly obvious curl happening right from the roots. Once I got past bsl, my curl began to concentrate on the bottom half of my hair, which is where it still focuses most of the ringlet shape. I still have a wave happening near my scalp, but now it looks more like a soft finger wave (think 20s flapper).

Really depends on your hair and the strength of the curl pattern. Tighter patterns will hold a curl shape at greater lengths, while looser patterns will eventually start to concentrate only at the ends. Looking at it, you have a loose curl that is becoming more obvious. That could be an old texture that hasnt fallen out yet; or it could the result of care that you have only started recently. Stealth curls are surprisingly common from what I’ve seen.
    That is a very valid and interesting point you got there. Makes sense.

Also I enjoyed reading all of these responses!
    ~Tailbone~ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ~Classic~ 41 42 43 ~Finger Tip~
    ​2019:No Trimming Challenge!

I don't have curly hair myself, but my little sister has type 3a hair. She used to be at BSL then had 14 inches cut off and went from loose waves to full on curls. I'm quite jealous!

Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

For me, the waves started to form much further down from the roots! So the top of my head could look almost straight, but I think the transition from stretched hair to waves and to curls at the very ends looked quite natural. Plus, for me, getting rid of volume is the goal, so this helped a bit.

I did not read the whole thread, but if you have a good experience with your face-framing hair keeping more of the curly shape, have you considered a heavily layered hairstyle? Not necessarily a devacut (not sure if that's an option for you), but it might improve the situation, at least a little? (Example.)

Length
    BSL/57/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Maybe I am odd - but if my hair were chin length, and it has been, I would have NO curl. it is only longer than that when my waves show up. I think at hip I was equally as wavy as I am at knee, now.