Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cone-free Protein Condish Recs?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee/Calf+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Cone-free Protein Condish Recs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    I'm not sure if it has wheat protein in it but I use this light protein conditioner once a week. It is, "ORS Replenishing Conditioner." The ORS stands for, "Organic Root Stimulator."
    I Googled the ingredients for this, wondering why I missed it in my own search a few months ago, and got all excited ... until I saw right near the end of the ingredients list, dimethicone

OP, I had a similar search a while ago although without the wheat protein restriction, but didn't want to try anything expensive with shea moisture near the beginning of the ingredients in case it built up. I actually didn't find anything that was what I wanted; I compromised and tried one with a water-soluble silicone and a Faith in Nature but that only had amino acids, no larger proteins, and not near the top. I've recently purchased phytokeratin to add to conditioner I already own; this particular one does contain wheat protein but it might be possible to find hydrolysed non-wheat proteins that you could add to conditioner you know your hair likes. It's not quite making something, literally just weighing and adding. (I also don't know what your budget is; mine was quite low because I couldn't afford to try anything expensive that either my hair might not like, or might not do a better job than my existing stash of conditioner, most of which cost £1 each!).
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Tiny trim and now onto Calf!
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair - phew

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy-b View Post
    I did try that a number of years ago and I remember not liking it very much but my hair has changed so maybe it'll work this time. Thanks!
    It’s been a while since I’ve used Mill Creek, but I just looked on their website and it looks like they updated the ingredient lists a little when they changed the packaging (now in pump bottles). The Biotin one has keratin high up in the ingredient list too. I used to like that one. I wonder if the changes are for the better in this case? It’s such a gamble when they change things..

*Oh, and the Hask Henna & Placenta packets aren’t bad (Sally’s has them, not sure where else).
    Last edited by renia22; March 4th, 2019 at 05:38 PM.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I Googled the ingredients for this, wondering why I missed it in my own search a few months ago, and got all excited ... until I saw right near the end of the ingredients list, dimethicone
    I checked Sally's before I saw your comment and their site lists dimethicone *twice* in the ingredient list! It seems like when I first joined this site, it was almost impossible to find a cone-free conditioner that *didn't* have protein in it. Now it seems to be the opposite. Aha!

OP, I had a similar search a while ago although without the wheat protein restriction, but didn't want to try anything expensive with shea moisture near the beginning of the ingredients in case it built up. I actually didn't find anything that was what I wanted; I compromised and tried one with a water-soluble silicone and a Faith in Nature but that only had amino acids, no larger proteins, and not near the top. I've recently purchased phytokeratin to add to conditioner I already own; this particular one does contain wheat protein but it might be possible to find hydrolysed non-wheat proteins that you could add to conditioner you know your hair likes. It's not quite making something, literally just weighing and adding. (I also don't know what your budget is; mine was quite low because I couldn't afford to try anything expensive that either my hair might not like, or might not do a better job than my existing stash of conditioner, most of which cost £1 each!).
    If it works for me I'll spend a lot because I won't be using it frequently and my hair is pretty thin so I don't need a ton of product anyway but I'm also having a hard time finding some of the more expensive products with trial size options. Brieogo does have travel size bottles at Sephora but you have to buy a kit with shampoo and styling products too (and I only want the conditioners). I might just go into Sephora and see if they sell them individually.

I don't know how my hair reacts to shea in conditioners but it seems like a common theme with the Shea Moisture line is that they build up. I have baby-fine hair that is easily weighed down which is why I've hesitated with those. I did find EO Conditioner with Keratin Coconut & Hibiscus which doesn't have cones OR shea which looks pretty good. I'll probably give a couple a go over the next few months then yeah if I can't find one that works, I'll have to search for some protein to add to a conditioner I love.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by renia22 View Post
    It’s been a while since I’ve used Mill Creek, but I just looked on their website and it looks like they updated the ingredient lists a little when they changed the packaging (now in pump bottles). The Biotin one has keratin high up in the ingredient list too. I used to like that one. I wonder if the changes are for the better in this case? It’s such a gamble when they change things..

*Oh, and the Hask Henna & Placenta packets aren’t bad (Sally’s has them, not sure where else).
    Oh yeah! I've used and liked the Henna & Placenta. That's great. I'll have to pick up a packet and see if it still works for me. And that Biotin conditioner looks pretty good too. Thanks for the additional recs!

Length
    SL/WL+/Term
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Oh, ok I didn't know that one ingredient had a cone in it. Thanks for letting me know that. I do use a lot of products with cones it. I need the cones so that I can have slip, tame the frizzies, and add smoothness and shine.

I could be very wrong on this, since im just learning how to look at ingredients but I think this one is cone free with protein. Ive been looking to purchase this one for a couple of weeks now but keep putting it back

ETA. Ahh sorry, I just saw that you dont want wheat protein
    Last edited by Sparkles122; March 4th, 2019 at 09:57 PM.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles122 View Post
    I could be very wrong on this, since im just learning how to look at ingredients but I think this one is cone free with protein. Ive been looking to purchase this one for a couple of weeks now but keep putting it back

ETA. Ahh sorry, I just saw that you dont want wheat protein
    Thanks for trying. Wheat protein is so common it's hard to find one without it. You are right, though, there aren't any cones in that conditioner.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I purchased and tried Not Your Mother's Curl Talk 3-in-1 Conditioner and I really like it, except the fragrance is overwhelming. It fades after a while but it is STRONG. It does actually bring out the wave in my hair so that's nice. My hair feels light and bouncy so I'll definitely keep using it.

I also purchased EO Keratin Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioner (which smells primarily of lavender essential oil) but I haven't tried it yet. I'll post after I do for anyone else who's interested.

Length
    SL/WL+/Term
    Type
    3a/M/iii

I have another suggestion: Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. It has protein in it. I could be wrong but it maybe cone-free.

Length
    Chin/FTL+/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    I have another suggestion: Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. It has protein in it. I could be wrong but it maybe cone-free.
    It's not silicone-free!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)