2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: March 2019 - Cable Braid

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Beautiful Amaryllis!
    Quote Originally Posted by eresh View Post
    Looks great Amaryllis
    Thank you both!

How do you do a rope braid behind your back and make it turn out?! HELP! I SO WANT TO DO THIS!!

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Haziel View Post
    How do you do a rope braid behind your back and make it turn out?! HELP! I SO WANT TO DO THIS!!
    I pull them over my shoulder as soon as I can.

All of this terminology is confusing to me! To me, a "cable" braid is two rope braids twisted together-- because the way I finally figured out how rope braids work was when I learned to spin yarn and realized: a rope braid is just hair spun and plied. Since "cabled" yarn is regular (spun and plied) yarn re-plied, then I think of a cable braid the same way. (And then what is called a "cable" braid here would, to me, just be another cable braid, maybe I'd consider it "double-cabled.") I love a cable braid, but even a single rope braid is too taxing for me to want to do very often (I get hand cramps from trying to grip each section tightly enough to maintain the twist and yet also twist the strands together, so I'm unlikely to want to do it to even create two rope braids, let alone a third time to create a "hawser" braid... and I certainly don't want to do it 7 times to get a "cable" braid!) (I also find that rope braids both like to make my hair more tangly than a regular braid-- probably because my hair likes to hold onto twist once I put it in-- and also tend to have little shreddy bits pull out more than a regular braid.)

Quote Originally Posted by eresh View Post
    Yes I think I wrapped the hawsers the wrong way
    Yup. Your rope braids are all Z-twist, but the Hawser braids are also Z-twist... and they should be S-twist. A hawser and cable braid will look elaborately woven/braided, not at all like there was any twisting involved. They're still pretty, though!

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    It looks great Konfitura and Neko!

I usually just skip the ponytail, whenever I do a hairstyle that's supposed to start with a ponytail base. I've made two hairstyles with a ponytail base in 2,5 years
    I simply can't do them. If I try to put in a high ponytail, it immediately sags and I've yet to find a way to keep it from doing so (it's partly because I can't get the elastic tight enough; if it's tight enough to hold the hair in the ponytail, it's too tight to double the hair through for the ponytail). So, if I do a hairstyle that starts with a ponytail base, I have lie on the bed on my back with my head hanging off and then do the ponytail and the style, so gravity keeps the ponytail where it should be. And that is literally a pain in the neck (and arms/shoulders, especially since I'm usually in the position for a long time because I probably need to do a ponytail start because I'm doing at least two braids), so I avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haziel View Post
    Verrrrrry carefully. That is, I always start my braids behind my back but bring them around in front when they're long enough (both so I can see what I'm doing and because my arms aren't long enough to continue in the back)... which means I have to be careful not to mess up the orientation when I bring it around front. Is that what you mean? It just requires careful maneuvering and keeping track of what your strands were doing as they track around to the front. (And I won't lie, I still sometimes mess it up, with every kind of braid.)

Thanks for the tips, I now am wearing a beautiful rope braid, thanks so much. Now that I've mastered the basics I can move on to the cable!

Cable, IMO, is easier than rope, because you're not working with loose strands of hair-- I find it a lot easier to be working with hair that's already rope-braided.