Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formaldehyde

Default Formaldehyde

Has anyone used a hair product, specifically a conditioner with the ingredient formaldehyde in it? I sometimes like to look over the ingredients in my products and im not sure how I missed this one when I was purchasing. The product im referring to is Bed Head Moisture Maniac conditioner. Is it ok to use products with formaldehyde in them? If so I’ll try it.

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Formaldehyde

It's likely being used as a preservative in that product. I personally wouldn't use it given its carcinogenic history.

Life's short...Buy the hair toy...

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I don't have it in any of my conditioners as far as I can tell, at least I never came across it so far, but formulations may vary country to country as well. I'm in the EU.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I brought it back to the store. I have never seen that ingredient in any of the products I have used before

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I always check my ingredients, normally, before buying. I have caught sodium hydroxide in some products, but low on the list it acts as a pH regulator. So it's not as if there's straight-up lye in there. Sometimes the amount that's in there is key.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I always check my ingredients, normally, before buying. I have caught sodium hydroxide in some products, but low on the list it acts as a pH regulator. So it's not as if there's straight-up lye in there. Sometimes the amount that's in there is key.
    I have to start paying more attention. I usually have my kids so i get distracted sometimes lol

Length
    16"/30"/Class
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Formaldehyde preservatives are quite common in cosmetics. I am allergic to them! It took me into my 20's to figure this out. Most of my life I would be randomly allergic to products (rash, itching) even products that didn't have fragrance and were supposed to by hypoallergenic. I finally figured this out by going through the discarded box of products I had in my basement that I was allergic to, and trying to find a common ingredient, and sure enough, it was this.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR ON THE LABEL: Formaldehyde, quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, polyoxymethylene urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bromopol) and glyoxal.

In North America where I live, it is mostly easy to avoid, as many of the major brands seem not to use it. For example Proctor and Gamble (Head and shoulders, pantene, herbal essences) don't use them. Unilever, however, does, so brands I can't use include Dove, tresseme, OGX, suave. Garnier and l'oreal seem to be okay too, but I don't like the fragrance in many of those. It seems certain brands have dropped them as well in recent years, some brands I couldn't use in the past are now formeldehyde free, including white rain, V05, natures gate.

Watch out for Salon brands, it seems that most of these contain the formeldehyde preservatives. Matrix biolage seems ok, but the rest of the salon brands are really hit or miss.

I don't know if formeldehyde is any less safe than other main stream preservatives such as parabens. I only wash my hair about 2-3 times per week, and they are rinse off products, so I tend not to worry to much about it. I avoid formeldehyde because I am allergic to it, not because I think it is unsafe in general.

Formaldehyde causes cancer. Try your best to find a healthier alternative for you and your hair!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Caribbean_girl View Post
    Formaldehyde causes cancer. Try your best to find a healthier alternative for you and your hair!
    All I can find is this:

"The EPA has classified formaldehyde as a "probable human carcinogen." National Cancer Institute researchers have concluded that, based on data from studies in people and from lab research, exposure to formaldehyde may cause leukemia, particularly myeloid leukemia, in humans"

With emphasis on "probable".

Not "certain".

If it were certain, I'm sure it would be pulled straight away.

I didnt use and returned the product. Something about putting formaldehyde on my hair just didnt seem right