Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Formaldehyde

Length
    26.5"/36"/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Formaldehyde

Personally, I have always had a lot of allergies to a lot of things that didn't bother a lot of other people, so if something might possibly be a problem, I need to err on the side of caution.

When I was about 5, I had an asthma attack that put me in the ER, under an oxygen tent, overnight. When I got home, Daddy told me, "You might be really sick right now, but some day, if you never smoke or drink, you'll be a lot healthier than other folks who do."

So I have become an increasingly devoted health food nut through the years. And I have attended funerals of friends my age & younger who weren't health food nuts.

And you have to remember how many decades the smoking industry fought tooth and nail to prevent the USA's FDA from coming to a firm conclusion that smoking causes cancer.

OK, it doesn't work that way for everyone. Jeanne Calment gave up smoking at age 121 & still lived to be the Guinness Book of World Records winner for longest-living person before dying at age 122.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/jeanne-calment

And George Burns joked that, at his age, he needed as many preservatives as he could get, so he avoided health food! He lived to be 100.

But with my allergy/asthma history? Formaldehyde? No thanks.
    1, 2, 3, testing! Trying to figure out how to put a picture here...

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think comparing formaldehyde in cosmetics to smoking is a bit extreme. Way back in the day people treated coughing with heroin, let's compare it to preservatives too. Dangers of smoking aren't even remotely comparable to dangers of preservatives in shampoos, are they?

Of course people have allergies and sensitivities. But I don't believe there are many cases. There's still the vocal minority-silent majority thing going on. People who have had reactions to sulfates or formaldehyde tend to be a lot more outspoken than those who just use their shampoos, don't even pay attention and don't go on the internet to express their love to chemicals.
    Last edited by Joules; June 14th, 2019 at 12:43 AM.

Length
    ./TBL/.
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

While this is a complex issue; I tend to side with the EU's, "Prove to me it's safe then you can use it." Instead if the US, "Prove to me it's harmful then we'll consider restricting it." I agree that the level of exposure to certain potentially hazardous ingredients is mostly negligible... short term. Companies can say things are perfectly safe in low amounts, but they don't consider long term use or even compounded use with other products. It's really the wild west over here most of the time.

I think it's best to avoid what you can *reasonably* because there are so many other times when you don't have a choice. I'm not saying this because people should freak out about what they put in/on their bodies. It's just the unfortunate truth here in the states that people need to educate themselves and not blindly believe what the package says. I really envy you guys across the pond that can trust whats on the shelf but here we can't do that.

Take the Johnson + Johnson lawsuit. J+J sold baby powder (talc-based) for decades. It was also aware of possible (asbestos) contamination but continued to use the talc anyway. Eventually women sued J+J for ovarian cancer and other asbestos related cancers/illnesses. J+J had to pay $417 million... One of the women said if there had been any warning on the bottle she would have stopped using it. "The company has no legal obligation to put such a label on its product. Because talcum powder is legally considered a cosmetic, it does not have to undergo a review by the US Food and Drug Administration like a drug would. But it would have to be properly labeled with ingredients and other information, and the product "must be safe for use by consumers under labeled or customary conditions of use," according to the agency.
    Some other talc-based powders on the market carry labels that mention possible risk of ovarian cancer after frequent application in the female genital area."

Think about how many of us, myself included, use face powder daily... which includes talc. Or how many of our parents used this baby powder on us without knowing of any risks? Talc itself is not the devil. But it is easily contaminated and as consumers it's pretty impossible for use to find out where everything in a product was sourced. We don't have the power to make informed decisions. Obviously J+J is an extreme example of corporations run amuck but it's something to consider when you go shopping.

If I could use nothing but a shampoo bar and coconut oil in my hair I would in a heartbeat because thats one less thing to worry about. But of course my hair has different needs lol Please believe me when I say IM NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORIST.

TLDR; Use whatever you want. Lots of conflicting info and you'll drive yourself mad trying to figure out all the loopholes companies have. Like the classic, hide everything as "fragrance".

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/healt...ict/index.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lc-cancer-case
    .:minimalism:.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    All I can find is this:

"The EPA has classified formaldehyde as a "probable human carcinogen." National Cancer Institute researchers have concluded that, based on data from studies in people and from lab research, exposure to formaldehyde may cause leukemia, particularly myeloid leukemia, in humans"

With emphasis on "probable".

Not "certain".

If it were certain, I'm sure it would be pulled straight away.
    You're right! I just don't trust them.

Length
    26.5"/36"/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Here's an interesting article:

http://glamorganicgoddess.com/the-di...rather-cancer/

Title: "The Dirty 30 | A List of Bad-Ass Beauty Ingredients To Avoid!"
    1, 2, 3, testing! Trying to figure out how to put a picture here...