Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Moon hairtoys

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Moon hairtoys - what size to get?

Also...
    Here ya go.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Crystawni View Post
    Verra noice, Milady! And I can already imagine it in your hair!

Aaaand now that I've caught up on the thread, I've got something to add... This isn't moon specific, but does come under the umbrella of bun scalp pinnage. When trying to decide functional prong length for sticks, forks and barrettes on centre-held buns, I worked out it has to be at least enough to secure my ponytail base plus some of the edges of the bun. Simply and weirdly enough, that works out to around what my ponytail circumference is, and that's the minimum fpl I'll go for on a full bun. But when it comes to loopy or long buns that can also bulk up, like the Celtic Knot and Figure 8, I have to stretch that fpl about an inch or more to make sure the edges of the bun are pinned to some degree. But yeah, it's the length of stick that pins through to the scalp(ish) area that you need from one side of your ponytail base to the other, plus the extra to rise above and control the loop(s) of the bun. I just wonder if that number for centre-helds works out to be the ponytail circumference of others?

When it comes to moons with their curved pin-area/fpl, it may be a different story, but may still work off the same theory albeit skewed. I've only got two of the 9cm/3.5" external diameter moons, and my normal cinnabuns swallow them, or the weight of my hair overcomes them. Working off the above calculation with my current ponytail circumference at 11.5cm/4.5", and with my buns ballooning with every inch of length I gain, you can see I was going to struggle from the start... But they work well in knotted halfups that have that smaller ponytail base circumference. I think with another inch on those moons, I'd be going okay--and would you know, that happens to be my pony circ. number again. Now to test my theory...
    Oh boy, do I spy a beautiful resin moon hiding at the end of that message?? Its late but Im going to try and make sense. I think you're on to something here, my circumference is 3.5 and for regular forks that fpl is the very least I would go for. I could make less work if I had more than one.
    I think for moons were looking for something the same circumference of the bun we want to hold. I did a 3 strand braided bun like in the video from Wildcat but inserted the moon following the shape of the bun. It held like a rock but was pulling on one specific strand (grrr hate it) and I couldn't recreate it in time for work. More experiments needed.

Here is the bun in question. I think the moon still has too big a circumference, meaning more length is needed(with more length that empty space between the points will fill in with braid). I french braided the hair and then cinnabunned it, started at the top/left and inserted the moon in a clockwise way while weaving braid hair and head hair. French/dutch braiding helps the moon grip the scalp hair. The moon will hold a bun this way and behave nicely I just think i need more length for it to be easy, but can make it work for now. I tried the moon with a disc bun(center held) and the moon points want to stick straight out, away from my head. Any tips?

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

milosmomma I think that looks lovely in your bun. For me personally, I think its such a cool look when you can see a good portion of the moon. Are you grabbing any of the "base" hairs under the bun like you would with a weave motion for say a hair stick?
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Thank you kindly Berrysara
    Yes, the way I was describing only leaves the tips visible. After playing around some more I agree, I'd like to see more of the moon as well.
    Yea always weave at least once like any other fork or stick but the pic above i weaved 2 or 3 times to pick up scalp hair along the way and "pin" the braid against my head. There are so many ways to use these I really feel like I'm still on top of the ice berg

[Judging you in Spanish] Milady_DeWinter's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

i was finally able to take some pics with my moons, and even recorded a lil video with the little one (7,5cm)

The big one is 5" in total diameter BTW

BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Wrist • Classic! • FTL
    Thickness: 5 1/2" - 14cm | Length: 42,5" - 108cm
    My little braid thread

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

it's so gorgeous!!

(I had to stop lurking this thread because it was really making me hanker after a moon, but I'm glad I stopped by at the right time to see yours Milady )
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Account Closed by Member Request

Looks awesome Milady and great size.

Length
    Buzz/37.5/35??
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Beautiful! I also love the videos. I bought one years ago but never got the hang of using it properly so it just sat in a drawer. Now I will know what to do if my hair grows long enough again!

[Judging you in Spanish] Milady_DeWinter's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    it's so gorgeous!!

(I had to stop lurking this thread because it was really making me hanker after a moon, but I'm glad I stopped by at the right time to see yours Milady )
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligeia Noire View Post
    Looks awesome Milady and great size.
    Thank you lots gals! I'm tempted to pick a smaller one (4,4") in solid wood for different styles.

Here are more pics of both moons BTW The buns are LWB, and it's getting easier to use it. They work wonderfully on loose buns.

BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Wrist • Classic! • FTL
    Thickness: 5 1/2" - 14cm | Length: 42,5" - 108cm
    My little braid thread

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Your updos are all so beautiful, Milady! Sorry to be nosy, you don't have to answer if you don't want to but I was wondering what your tattoo says? I'm not...?