Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalp care

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thumbs up Scalp care

I'm not sure if it's okay to post this thread on the Mane forum, mods feel free to move it where it belongs!

It seems that discussion about scalp care is scattered across the board here and I thought to try bring it in one place. Taking care of your scalp is mostly a skin issue but a bit of a hair issue too. Most scalp care products are lumped together with hair care products and the products you use on your scalp should cater both your skin and your hair. Some hairdresser and trichologist likened the scalp to "the flower bed and soil from which your hair grows." Generally speaking, healthy hair grows from healthy scalp. There are already discussions about common things like dandruff and medical conditions like SD here, but this thread can address many more things also: scalp massages, oiling, tonics, serums, product reviews, exfoliating, DIY stuff, shedding, scalp pain, maybe sharing updates about scalp health etc. Just figuring out what are our individual needs and experiences with scalp care.

I don't mean to imply that everyone out there needs to have some kind of special routine and a dozen of products to have healthy scalp, since many people have no trouble what so ever with their scalp and like they say, why try fixing something that ain't broken? I happen to be one of those unlucky people that experiences problems with my scalp time to time and I just like to fuss over it. It makes sense to me to show some special care for my scalp's skin since I care for the skin of my face and body pretty much daily. I believe it benefits my hair in the long run.

So discuss anything related to scalp care here

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Scalp care

Great idea for a thread!

I don't generally have scalp issues, and my scalp doesn't say this or that about what shampoo I use, as long as I don't go too long without cleansing it properly. I don't really know for sure how long is too long, but if I was using sulfate free shampoos, for example, I should probably wash my scalp with sulfates weekly or every other week (I generally wash 2-3 times a week). I oil my scalp every once in a while and always remove that with a sulfate shampoo.

The most horrible thing I experienced with regards to my scalp was stress hives that started from my arms and over time spread to many locations on my body, including my scalp. :/ Nobody believed it was stress-induced, but so far I have experienced it twice and both times it vanished a week or two after the (long-term) stress eased. While no longer scalp-related, I just wish to mention that those experiences really taught me the importance of controlling stress levels. It showed me just how big of an impact emotional well being has on one's physical health, and since then I have been paying extra attention to it.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    APL/Waist/?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii

For me at the moment it's scalp first. This autumn and winter was so difficult until I finally found LV's soothing shampoo - no colourings, no perfumes and with piroctone olamine. I was happy to find out that piroctone olamine has beneficial influences on hair too, similar to ketoconatzole. My scalp is so cranky I'm afraid to let anything else touch it, so I rather keep things very simple. I get scalp problems also from consuming too much sugar or gluten. Also stretching washes results to exessive itching and hair loss.

APL --- BSL --- MBL --- Waist --- Hip --- TBL --->

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Great idea for a thread!

I don't generally have scalp issues, and my scalp doesn't say this or that about what shampoo I use, as long as I don't go too long without cleansing it properly. I don't really know for sure how long is too long, but if I was using sulfate free shampoos, for example, I should probably wash my scalp with sulfates weekly or every other week (I generally wash 2-3 times a week). I oil my scalp every once in a while and always remove that with a sulfate shampoo.

The most horrible thing I experienced with regards to my scalp was stress hives that started from my arms and over time spread to many locations on my body, including my scalp. :/ Nobody believed it was stress-induced, but so far I have experienced it twice and both times it vanished a week or two after the (long-term) stress eased. While no longer scalp-related, I just wish to mention that those experiences really taught me the importance of controlling stress levels. It showed me just how big of an impact emotional well being has on one's physical health, and since then I have been paying extra attention to it.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Oh no, that sounds awful It's nice to know the exact thing that triggers the symptoms but controlling stress isn't always a piece of cake... Stress is something that creates so many problems but I probably wouldn't know to blame it if my scalp go upset. So thank you for mentioning it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Katsura View Post
    For me at the moment it's scalp first. This autumn and winter was so difficult until I finally found LV's soothing shampoo - no colourings, no perfumes and with piroctone olamine. I was happy to find out that piroctone olamine has beneficial influences on hair too, similar to ketoconatzole. My scalp is so cranky I'm afraid to let anything else touch it, so I rather keep things very simple. I get scalp problems also from consuming too much sugar or gluten. Also stretching washes results to exessive itching and hair loss.
    I suspect sugar causes problems for me too but unfortunately I'm a huge sugar-holic. Last year I managed to stay away from added sugars for 1,5 months and then went straight back to cookies. Your message and Ylva's message highlight the importance of life style and diet. Healthy body and head, healthy hair. Everything is connected.

It's interesting how for some stretching washes is beneficial and for some it's not a good idea (I'm in the same boat as you are). LV shampoo sounds great, gonna google piroctone olamine now...

Length
    24.5/38.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I have scalp problems as my scalp is very dry! I oil my scalp every time before taking a shower. I do scalp massages every other day because i love how it feels. Whenever i do it i feel the blood moving in my head. Because i have dandruff i exfoliate once or twice a month using salt and coconut oil.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have SD (oily to normal scalp and flaking, itch, redness when it flares) and I have to keep a close eye on my scalp.

Generally, as long as I use a harsh sulfate I'm mostly fine.

Sometimes I use H&S shampoo and leave it on a couple min. (that's new) and sometimes I really can't avoid it and need to bust out the Nizoral 2%, prescription strength in most countries except Belgium. We "only" have the 2% available and it is OTC. It is 14.25 euro lately for 100ml, it's best that I can avoid washing with that (I will clear that bottle in 3 to 4 uses).

I keep conditioner and oils and anything else that is moisturizing off of my scalp. That includes silicones. I prefer a sulfate, silicone-free shampoo but I do have some shampoos that contain a silicone. Sometimes it goes well, other times, I'm quite sensitive to it. No rhyme or reason, that's the difficult part. But conditioner & oils I *have to* avoid!

My mom has dry scalp (no flakes) and she can go months without washing her scalp. Last she washed was December 18. And it is February 20th right now. Goes to show you just how dry. For some odd reason she doesn't produce sebum (not even in summer time), and her hair (apart from the hairspray build up in front) smells as fresh still right now compared to wash day. It's so odd. But it is getting to that time where she needs to wash it (due to hairspray build up).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

I have a sensitive scalp and harsh detergents cause irritation and itching so I'm sulfate free.

Washing 3 times a week has been working best, and keeps my scalp happy right now. If that changes, so will my routine.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    APL/33"/CL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Good thread idea!

Ylva, I have had stress hives too, but they never spread to my scalp. Doesn't sound fun

My DD has had scalp problems, mainly sensitivity and dandruff. We used Head & Shoulders for a while but it never helped much. I don't know if this is common, but what did help with both issues was to switch to a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Her dandruff has cleared up and she no longer complains of itchiness or sensitivity.

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have dandruff, and a moderately oily scalp, I guess? Washing twice a week with H&S dandruff shampoo, and conditioner has definitely helped with the dandruff but it isn't completely gone. I think even if I stop using H&S, I will have to wash twice a week at the minimum in order to keep my scalp happy.
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Good idea for a thread!

I've had scalp issues all my life. Mostly flakes and itchiness, sometimes a buildup of gunk. It's only been in the past few years that I've worked out how to control my issues and keep my hair happy at the same time.

Growing up I used H&S, but when I found the LHC I got it into my head that I *had* to use a gentle cleansing method. Cue years and YEARS of experimentation. I thought the best I could do was not disturb the flakes so that they wouldn't show up (which led to more of the gunk -- lovely).

Anyway, now I shampoo (twice) with sulfates twice a week and it's well controlled. My baseline is to use a clarifying shampoo followed by T-Gel coal tar shampoo. I'm experimenting with doing that only once a week, alternating with a "regular" Herbal Essence sulfate shampoo. Like lapushka, I try to minimize using the expensive stuff. I've also got a Siliscrub-style shampoo massager/brush to really exfoliate in the shower. (That's relatively new and I'm monitoring for breakage, but it seems to be going okay so far! I get a few flakes in the winter still and the shampoo massager eliminates them.)

My experimentation with scalp oiling was a spectacular failure, never again. My scalp likes to be squeaky clean.

I compensate for the drying shampoo by using oils and conditioner heavily. If I don't slather my hair in sunflower or coconut oil before a wash, then I use the ROO method in the shower. I condition twice, once with a hair mask, followed by a silicone conditioner. It makes my hair higher maintenance, but it's a small price to pay for a healthy scalp.

That was really long winded... TL;DR it took me forever but now I know that my scalp needs to be super clean to be happy.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com