Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to sleep with long hair?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How to sleep with long hair?

I've never tried a sleep cap. I thrash around quite a bit and can't imagine it staying in place.

Most of the time I use a scrunchie to make a loose-ish top of head ponytail, except I don't pull the last loop all the way through.

Length
    ~bsl/ftip/knee?
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

I just do a very, very loose braid, like 7 bumps, tied with a satin scrunchie. I get some tangles but I'd get them with a regular braid too so I just don't fuss too much about it.
    Fingertip and growing to Knee!
    World's Most Fragile Hair, for the World's Most Fragile Person

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I do twin or single English braids. I used to be able to bun it but I've started having issues with all my forks falling out. I might look into the a bun with a scrunchie.

I move around a lot, and the sleep cap I had started damaging my nape hairs. I've also tried a silk scarf, and that just falls off. I'd like to get a better silk sleep bonnet but I'm worried about nape hair issues.
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.

Length
    28/35/44?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Starchild494 how are you securing the bun? I don’t get tangles ever since switching from elastics to claw clips as long as I turn the hair for the cinnibun tightly. If it is loose enough to move it may tangle, but since I know it does that I prevent it by always making sure the bun is very secure. I also stop tangles in the first place by always rinsing with low-pH water after showing. It’s seriously a game changer. I just mix water and plain white vinegar until the litmus strip indicates the pH is around 5.

What I have done since waist length and beyond is just to wear my hair loose draped over the pillow and bed(I dont have a head board). I use a silk pillow case and some fabric tucked under the pillow to the floor to keep my length safe from catching on the bed or floor ect. This does not cause tangles and I roll around alot.

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I like sleeping with a ponytail on top of my head. It works very well for me.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

My hair is cobweb wipsy and must be contained day or night

I work a dime size squirt of Biosilk Serum into my ends then I do loose twin pigtail braids.
    In the morning I have soft/subtle waves;more texture than braid waves and it tames my wispies.

Back in the day ...1960's ...I used to make a ponytail on top of my head, then wrap the ends around 3 soup cans

I did try it when I grew my hair back out but my scalp is too sensitive now and high updos give me migraines.

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/iii

My hair is by no means long, but I've been trying to sleep with a silk cap for a few weeks and no matter what I do, it won't stay on my head throughout the night! Any tips on stopping it from escaping are greatly appreciated!

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Side sleeper here (usually) so I - 1. (sometimes) comb out (with my wide toothed Madorra comb - I love it and it is worth every penny!!!!) and oil with a spritz of baby oil first on my hands and then through the ends and part of the length, then wind as if I am going to make a seashell bun and secure on the top of my head with spin pins (makes nice morning waves) or 2. (usually) secure the bun with my left hand and with my right hand take out the fork (husband weapon, DH calls it) from whatever bun I happened to have it up in all day, and spin pin it in place or 3. (rarely) wear it loose with all the hair up and over my pillows. I used to wear a braid to bed, usually a side braid, but once past TB this really tangled my hair.

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

If you don’t like braid waves or putting your hair in a bun, have you considered banding your hair for sleep? I used to do that during my flatironing days when I didn’t want waves. If you’ve never heard of it, there are a ton of youtube videos on the banding method. It’s essentially the same except you’d be doing it to maintain straight hair instead of straightening.
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.