Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi.....old ex-longhaired rocker here

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hi.....old ex-longhaired rocker here

Welcome! I say grow it! But you are right, this is a community where people gather to celebrate, care for, and share knowledge on growing hair so we may all be slightly bias I personally am only "young middle aged" but when I grew out my natural color after 15-16 years of dyes and bleach I was bummed to see zero greys. Enjoy every length you reach and do what makes you happy. You said your wife is getting a pixie and I'm assuming she has your support, maybe with time she will grow to support your dream of growing.

Length
    10/23+/fun

thanks for all the further comments. I can tell there is support here for what I want to do, but the great 'outdoors' of everyone else is where the question lies. I know the family will not be supportive. as for supporting the wife on her pixie....ummm….let's say I try to be neutral. she doesn't like mine long, I just let her do what she wants to do. Best I can do at this point.

I like to be the 'don't care what they think' rock star(ahem....) strutting into a room, but only feel that way half the time. The other half is more worried about what others think to a certain point. The other part of this is that I feel I actually look better with short hair, but again, the heart and soul are invested in long hair. I'm guessing almost everyone here is, but in real life, pretty sure that's a somewhat minority view of guys with long grey hair.

on a side note, and somewhat embarrassed about this....when I had very long hair(at least for a guy), and remember this is at least 12-15 years ago when things were different, it was actually something of a super-mullet. not quite the normal strictly long back hair with everything short, but somewhat short around the front. Again the career was a factor, thinking(at the time) that if pulled back in a pony or a braid, it was more professional than otherwise, although I did wear it loose a lot after working at one company for a number of years. However, no more. If/when I grow out, it will be real long hair. at most, some bangs. which brings us to the next question. what styles are there for long hair on a guy, and does it matter about age/greyness???? For the last 30 years, I've 'styled' basically straight back and then when it gets a little longer, a side part on one side, with the main part mostly straight back. I've never had a center part, never had bangs,etc….. not sure if there are more options than the obvious ones. I know the growing out part is pretty much the toughest part to get through, but if one is committed.

thanks all,
    O.R.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would just let it grow out, see what it does, and decide along the way; it's going to be a long road anyhow.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    10/23+/fun

ady Soreil,

My main ax is a 76 P-bass. had it since 1981. was hopped up a little with a BadAss II bridge and Bartolini pickups. for a lot of years, thought the color(they call it Walnut....a dark brown) wasn't too exciting, but found out it is a rarer color, plus it has the A neck(the thinnest one for a P-bass.....like a J-bass one), so it is actually on the rare side(if you can say that about a hugely produced bass) and so I've found the value is like 3x what I thought. The only drawback is it is on the heavy side, but even though it was my first bass, I will never get rid of it....probably going in the grave....haha if you like death metal, right? low action and with the thin neck, everyone who has ever played it(under my supervision of course) says they have never played one like it. I like it!! my other ax is a Yamaha 4 string fretless jazz bass style. I don't play it enough to say I am that proficient, but it makes cool sounds if you want it to.

I play mostly classic rock and love me some blues too. A number of years ago, I also started singing leads and have been looking(currently between bands) to get into a situation where I can sing 1/2 to all leads. My only two problems are that I can't remember lyrics(I have a tablet that goes into a holder on my mic stand), and that my voice is baritone to bass in the regular range, so that limits a good bit what I can sing. Of course, most people also don't know in general how hard it is to play bass and sing leads at the same time(for all you non-musicians, the bass is usually doing just about the opposite of the lead vocals, so your brain has to separate the two. Not always easy) Of course, growing up, my favorite bands were Geddy, Entwhistle, Squire,etc….oh yeah.....to translate, that means Rush, The Who, and Yes.

Length
    10/23+/fun

sheesh, how long do you have to reply? my missives evidently take too much time and by the time I am done typing, I have to log back in again to post....!!!!!

ok...I'll chill

O.R.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
    sheesh, how long do you have to reply? my missives evidently take too much time and by the time I am done typing, I have to log back in again to post....!!!!!

ok...I'll chill

O.R.
    When you are logging click 'remember me' then you won't get logged out

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Styling while growing for a man is probably tricky, I am not a man so I will just have to imagine. I would think as you start growing from a traditional "man cut" it will turn into a shag/mullet type of style. You can let it down and free, slick it as you said you have in the past, and as it gets long enough you can wear a clip to contain the top half back and let the longer bottom layers remain free. Then eventually it would all reach into a low pony(a "man bun" would probably come sooner because you can tie that back higher on your head but you've expressed a dislike ) There is a member here who is a gentleman growing out his hair, I believe he is almost armpit length, his name is cjk (I don't know how to tag him, or if he has already posted here) but he would probably be an inspiration for styles, always trying neat braids and new styles along the way.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Long grey hair looks beautiful! Welcome and happy growing!

Length
    10/23+/fun

thanks for the new replys. soo....since it was brought up again, man buns....love em or hate em? I worry that society now sees them as a younger man style for those that don't really have that long of hair. how many men have you seen recently with a man bun who wasn't pretty young, and was trying to be stylish, with just enough hair to get up in a mini-bun?

I know I am over analyzing this, but that is my nature. If I had a real head of hair and wanted to get the hair up out of the way, I didn't and probably don't care what others think if I threw it up in a bun or pony loop. I just think that if I am hesitant about long grey hair, that appearing trendy is even worse....just fyi, I am almost the least trendy person on earth.

bottom line is....am I ok bucking my family to start growing out again....seems like such a simple question with such a simple answer, but unfortunately, I am in the middle of a lot of family issues that make it harder than ever to make a serious decision.

O.R.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think if you're a man with hair long enough for a bun and you want to protect your ends then it is a great protective hairstyle. I think there is an association with "hipsters" and a certain kind of look but you can also have a professional bun as a man as well. More polished and combed with a part or straight back and a lower bun I would associate as being more professional where as a higher messy bun would give off that "hipster" vibe. You can also get into braiding, french and dutch braids look put together and "done up" as well. You can even get into hair forks and sticks to contain your buns as well. As for your family, they might give you flack for growing your hair but if you show them you want it and just do it I'm sure they'll come around.