Link to Flexi-of-the-Month list:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3649697

Link to Stylist Exclusives list:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3649832

Database back-up contact info:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3648996

Flexi of the Month: Photos Still Needed
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3664219
    Last edited by C_Bookworm; March 26th, 2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Organized/Added multiple links
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Lilla Rose/Flexi-8 Database Planning Thread

Ooh, I really like the wiki/wikia idea because I don't know how searchable the other platforms are (do they use tags? I seem to recall Flickr do but not 100% certain). However I've never used it before to create, only as a user!

I'm fairly confident on the 3 photo platforms mentioned (Google Photos and Flickr are much easier on a laptop) and would be available to upload backups if that would help. I'd also be up for uploading and/or organising for the main database, e.g. if people upload labelled photos to Google Photos, I'd be happy to help putting them into the right albums if necessary. (Or whatever, if a similar principle applies to other platforms.)

I don't know a lot of technical stuff (I don't know what you meant by geodata!) but can learn. I have time; ability goes up and down with some days more fatigued and brainfogged than others
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Replying to post on main thread here:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlingCupcake View Post
    I like this category listing.

Are we going to have like links to similar flexis? For instance, the knot design comes in black, brass, silver, and rose. With this category listing, they would be in four different categories. Could there be something that lists "similar flexis" or "related to", etc.

Also, I was telling K about this, and he mentioned that the wikia/wiki hosting services might work better than google photos or the like. Would that be a better option, you think?

In my opinion, years/months would only matter for the FotMs.

If possible, a master list would also be great. Like:

Leather
    Yolanda - purple
    Sangria - burgundy
    Forest - forest green

etc. with each name linking to the photo/page for that flexi.
    I don't know the logistics of how this could work exactly, but this sparked an idea: when we have designs like this, could we have a photo of all the colours together, as well as separately? It could be useful to compare the same design in the different colours; so if you went to 'bronze breaded' you could see just the bronze by itself as well as a group pic of all the colours. If someone really likes a design and wanted to know if it was in a different colour too (e.g. for tracking it down), looking up that design in the colour they know would take them to an individual and a group pic which would tell them straight away. If that made any sense

e.g. they like a heart design in silver, and would want to gold version if it existed. They could track down the silver heart and see the group pic to find out there and then, rather than having to look through all the gold flexis, or searching for 'heart' or the name of the design.

Edit: <gasp> the wikia format would mean each design could have its own page, fitting in to all the colour categories (and linked from each one) and have photos of different sizes on the same page! So we could have solo shots and action shots i different hair colours and styles all on the same page! I'm really excited by this

Edit 2: I think months would be useful for stylist flexis too. Some have become current/general sale ones, just as some FoTMs have, but as much info as possible will help people track down ones they want (and maybe even help track down photos to start with!)
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; February 11th, 2019 at 05:08 PM.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I’m in a similar situation to you...I think the wiki option is interesting in that there are features and cross linking that we absolutely won’t be able to do on the other platforms. But I don’t have any personal experience with it.

We can always do some sort of stopgap combo (aka throw all the current stuff that will be harder to recreate later, like FotM and Stylist flexis, into a single album or just onto this thread) and then construct the wiki as we learn.

Hopefully someone wiki savvy can weigh in here...which platform is preferable?

Okay sneaking away to go test out some options
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I'm definitely interested in helping!
    I am not familiar with anything other than Google stuff but don't let that sway you at all-- I can figure out whatever you decide to go with. Oh, but I am limited by only having a smartphone, not a computer, for what it's worth.

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I don’t have wikia experience either, unfortunately. It does sound intriguing! My only experience creating web content has been on more traditional platforms like Wordpress.

In terms of concrete help, research is my jam. I also enjoy organizing things, so I could be of some help in piecing together lists of recent styles according to naming convention in the categories we decide on, if that would be helpful. Then people could start simply by plugging in photos of what they have, and we could build backwards from there as people add in their own rarer/older clips.

Or, I’m also happy to be a minion if anyone has a grand vision of where our energies could be best directed at this stage

Let me know what you think.

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Estas mi Esperantist' languagenut's Avatar
    Length
    baby/bcl/dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

My wiki experience consists mostly of fixing typos here and there on Wikipedia. Well, and there was that one time I translated the article on "Mirror Writing" into Esperanto and added it to the Esperanto Wikipedia, but that was a long time ago and I don't really remember how I did it. So I'm probably not much help there .

I'd be happy to contribute my photos to the cause. Unfortunately since most of mine came from the swap board, I don't have much info on them, sometimes not even the official name. So a few might need some research to fill in all the data, but if you want them, I'll post the links (the images will need to be copied, since PostImages changes their links regularly, to save on bandwidth I guess).
    Lady Kulisa, Speaker of the Mystic Tongues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    ~ Make your own bead-topped hair sticks! ~

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Okay, poking my head in to show everyone the experiment I've been working on. I played a bit in the wiki sandbox and found a hard time getting the right fit, in terms of ease and a wiki that was a good fit for our topic. So in the end I hopped over to google sites and came up with this.

By no means a final draft or the direction we have to go! We just didn't seem to have anyone experienced pointing us in a wiki/wikia direction, so I went with a platform I was more comfortable with. Also apologies for the fact that all the pictures are of me , they just happen to be the only pictures that I own the copyrights to.

Here's the site:
    https://sites.google.com/view/flexidatabase/

If you want to play with editing/adding, just shoot me a pm, I believe all I need is your email address and I can add you as an editor.

Feedback?

Estas mi Esperantist' languagenut's Avatar
    Length
    baby/bcl/dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I like it! Though it isn't always clear when an item is a link to a subcategory, and when it's just an item itself.

These are my XL Flexis; I have action shots with them but I'll just put the group pic here; does anyone know what the official names are? The first three are from the swap board, and the fourth is one my mom gave me years ago and I don't remember what it was called. Not sure if any of them were a FOTM or not.

Lady Kulisa, Speaker of the Mystic Tongues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    ~ Make your own bead-topped hair sticks! ~

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by languagenut View Post
    I like it! Though it isn't always clear when an item is a link to a subcategory, and when it's just an item itself.

These are my XL Flexis; I have action shots with them but I'll just put the group pic here; does anyone know what the official names are? The first three are from the swap board, and the fourth is one my mom gave me years ago and I don't remember what it was called. Not sure if any of them were a FOTM or not.

I could strip out all pictures and just use labels until you’re at the last level, if that clarifies things

The first flexi (left to right) is Hibiscus Sea and the third flexi is Celtic Cross. I’m afriad I don’t know the other two.