Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammock sleeping and long hair

Default Re: Hammock sleeping and long hair

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    This has been very interesting to read. I have 2 hammocks but never thought to replace a convention bed with one! I have terrible RLS most nights and tossing and turning are a huge part of falling asleep. I might just have to try some indoor hammock experimenting! As for hair I think loose or a braid would be just fine. Like cjk said you could just drape over the edge, keep us posted as you get your set up going. I would love to read more.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    As with everything, there is an enormous difference between reading about an experience, and actually doing it.

A hint, with most hammocks of any quality they are constructed of three piece. The big bed sized part, and a contrasting stripe on each side. I find that positioning the seam so that it aligns with the curve in my neck provides excellent support and eliminates the need for a pillow entirely, if done right.

It is a very unique sleeping surface. Have you tried it yet? It is NOT a bed, it is entirely unique.

I usually describe it as rock hard. Yet compliant to my body shape. And inherently unstable which means that any movement is permitted and generates a reaction, however minimal.

It's really quite different.
    No I have yet to try it. Still have a ways to go before I'll get a chance to get rid of my current conventional set-up and be able to experiment. It will be an interesting experience for me regardless of whether I will decide to make it permanent or not.

My only experience in a hammock was with a tippy rope hammock with a spread bar that my father had. Completely different than what we're talking about here. That's why I'm going to be doing a bit of experimenting and doing my research, no reason to make a rushed decision. That and I couldn't switch to a hammock yet even if I wanted to.

Of course it will be completely different than a conventional bed and that is what has me so enamored with the idea of it. Naturally, ones pre-conceived notion will often vary from reality, but that's fine. This is something I'm going to have to try and whether it will or will not work is something that I will only be able to surmise once I get a chance to do my own experimentation.

My hair is shoulder length, not waist length like yours. There might be other considerations I've not yet encountered, but it's such a flexible sleeping system that I don't expect you'll have issues.

A hammock like we are discussing is literally nothing but a big sheet of fabric. The primary differences between hammocks of increasing cost is the total weight, lighter is better if you're hiking for instance. And quality of construction, mine is triple stitched. Some of the most expensive do use asymmetrical designs, incorporate stress lines, and so forth but those go beyond this discussion.
    Of course! Although most of this beyond the original topic.

Before you mount them, be sure to use the hang calculator. And in my own case I used a link chain at each end, so I could micro adjust the lengths until I got it right.

Human comfort is never so simple as a mathematical equation, a little adjustability is a good thing.

Do you have a yard? I hung mine across the corner of my fence, between the pickets, so I could get the basic measurements right before drilling any holes inside.

Worked great for me.
    I was planning on using some chain on either end.

I have the hang calculator bookmarked, along with several articles on hammocks, hammock sleeping, and unconventional beds. It's still too early to be picking out hanging spots for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by sophia_ View Post
    I go backpacking and use a hammock if it's not too cold/treeless/full of dangerous animals, and I find just braiding it seems to be fine, I tend to not move around as much when I'm in a hammock.
    Good to know. Thank-you for weighing in.

And

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I don't have any personal experience, as my hair wasn't long then, but I had a GF with butt-length hair who mostly slept in a hammock. She preferred it to a bed because it didn't hurt her back (back injuries from getting thrown from a horse, car accident). And she was used to it, she lived in Brazil part of the year and I guess everybody uses hammocks there. You probably won't be tossing too much (lying on your side or stomach isn't comfortable). She never had any problem with it, she used a small pillow and slept with her hair loose. sometimes it would hang over the side, sometimes not. If she'd been wearing hair sticks, she'd take them out and jam them through the edge weave (her hammocks were cotton, not nylon). If you don't live somewhere hot, you will need some padding between you and the hammock to stay warm. Cotton breathes better than nylon, and doesn't feel as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by KameRose View Post
    I'm in the process of getting ready replace my current bed set up and I've been contemplating getting a hammock
    Not sure why, but this thread has been heavy on my mind lately.

Did you try a hammock? Did it work well for you? Do you have any updates for us?

I sleep outdoors in a hammock occasionally, and I don't notice any more tangles than I get sleeping in a bed. I tried sleeping with it in a braid, but it made my neck hurt so I took it out. I sleep really well, too! More energy for trying new hairstyles, I guess(-: