Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigs

Default Wigs

Do wigs damage follicles?

Has anyone used a wig here until they've reached their hair health/length goal?

I am toying with the idea of getting a lace front wig until my hair goes back to normal. I'm thinning and shedding like crazy, & don't want to stress it with heat.

For work, I have to heat it style at least 3 times a week. Bad, I know. I have no choice right now.

Length
    pixie/TBL!/clsc!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Wigs

I didn't wear a wig until I reached my goal, as I'm not there yet, but I did wear a wig daily for quite some time while growing from pixie to about shoulder. I wasn't comfortable wearing my hair out at all. As for if it causes damage, I've always been confused on this myself... part of me thinks it's protective (it's not touching anything but itself, right?) and part of me thinks it suffocates the hair. *shrug* I'll be watching this for others input.

Also, I don't know what the 'lace front' part means... I just wore regular wigs.
    Chin // Shoulder // Apl // Bsl // Waist // Hip // TBL!! 34" (now)! // Classic (end goal)
    ~Lady Lovecraft of the Red Crayon Aristocracy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~

I hear mixed reviews myself too! I hear that the cap can cause damage & I hear that you have to, to protect the follicles. Hmm.. I just don't know.

A lace front wig are the realistic looking wigs with a natural looking hairline. They're kinda pricey.

Length
    ~20in/mb/wl/MTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

I've heard that they can do damage to your hair if you wear them all the time and you don't protect your hair. If you wear a non-abrasive or at least a lesser abrasive wig cap underneath the wig and keep your hair moisturized so that any rubbing of the fabric or wig lace won't break your hair you should be ok. I assume that the wig caps that are more like nets as they have large holes throughout and also the cotton blend wig caps are more damaging to the hair.

Some women go as far as to wear a satin hair wrap of scarf underneath the skull cap and then put the wig on top. This seems like it would feel awkward and you may get overheated but some women are comfortable with it. Whatever you do, don't wear a wig all the time without some kind of cap underneath. The lace is really scratchy to the touch even if you have a professional one made for you using fine lace.

Also, you may not want to use bobby pins to secure it to your scalp as that can cause ripping of the hair too. Good luck!
    Pssst...Shrinkage is the devil. Don't look it in the eye or make any sudden movements.
    Lady Talma of the Hallowed Cauldron in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Thx for the info Talma!

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

My hair is a little past shoulder and I use clip in extensions. I've read some stuff that it can damage your scalp if you wear them too long, which I do. They are definitely better than the more permanent way; might as well wear them until it grows back.
    ~Brenda Just want to get to APL right now!

Lady Firebrand of Warriors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

See I rather use a wig than those clip ons, since i'm shedding and thinning. I feel like it'll put my hair under more stress and damage than what it already is.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Being that I'm not in the adult job world yet, what job is it that you have to straighten 3+ times a week?(if you don't mind my asking)

I don't think wigs are damaging if you use a good wig cap and secure it properly. I imagine it would be kind of similar to wearing a scarf or bandana all the time.

Lady Savitri of the Sunlight Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Hiding in the shadows ...

Account Closed by Member Request

I wear wigs often. I know there's plenty of women who use wigs as a protective style to help grow their hair, and I personally haven't found it to hinder me in any way. I wear lace fronts as well, but I have a big ol' fivehead so I can use glue on my skin, not on my hair. I can't even think of a way that wigs would damage the follicles. If you're wearing a wig cap I can't even think of a way it would even hurt your hair.

If wearing a wig means you won't be heat styling it 3x a week, I'm going to go ahead and say it will be less damaging for you to wear it under a wig

Quote Originally Posted by Anywhere View Post
    Being that I'm not in the adult job world yet, what job is it that you have to straighten 3+ times a week?(if you don't mind my asking)

I don't think wigs are damaging if you use a good wig cap and secure it properly. I imagine it would be kind of similar to wearing a scarf or bandana all the time.
    You guessed right. Adult job.