Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Routine recommendations, bun help!

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default Routine recommendations, bun help!

I'm totally stuck in a rut. I'm over two years without a trim. So spilt ends, hair is frizzy, bent ends also, but my scalp is pretty normal. I air dry cause I'm lazy, not cause it makes my hair any better. It's thick and ratty. I've used EVERYTHING because I used to be a hairdresser, so I have access to anything.

I think I'm experiencing decision fatigue?

I don't care what my hair care costs because I'm a minimalist. I'll buy the quality few things over trying a few dozen... unlike my teenage self.

I also need a way to wear my hair up. A ponytail drags my neck backwards due to the weight of my hair (although it's really pretty.) I've been doing one long braid, but it doesn't stay nice looking. I'd LOVE to do a lazy wrap bun, but my hair isn't long enough yet. I'm grazing hip length. Ladies I've been away too long lol, help!

Current routine: wash and condition with suave coconut set, every third or fourth day. Air dry. Braid. Remove braid to ponytail if leaving the house.
    Last edited by Cherriezzzzz; January 31st, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
    Virgin red hair, hip length. Last cut Nov. 2016 Second goal Classic length!
    --- Isaiah 55 ---
    --- Romans 14:11 ---

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Routine recommendations, bun help!

You say your hair is frizzy with split ends - I don't know anything about previous routines you've tried so apologies if I suggest something you've already tried/considered and ruled out, but I heartily recommend trying double-conditioning, to see if it 'tames' your hair a bit. You might benefit from deep conditioning too, not even necessarily every time but once every {you decide how often}. What's your moisture/protein balance like (strand test)?

Um, can you do a braided bun at all? Cinnabun? You could maybe try doing a sectioned/frame bun (half in the bun, wrap the rest round), even double buns perhaps ... flipped braid, french/dutch braid with the end tucked or bunned somehow. Even double braids, pinned up around your head.

How do you wear it to sleep at night? Satin or silk can work wonders! Pillowcase, cap, scarf, anything to protect your hair a bit (if you aren't already).

I hope there's something in there that might be useful, or spark an idea or something
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cherriezzzzz View Post
    I'm totally stuck in a rut. I'm over two years without a trim. So spilt ends, hair is frizzy, bent ends also, but my scalp is pretty normal. I air dry cause I'm lazy, not cause it makes my hair any better. It's thick and ratty. I've used EVERYTHING because I used to be a hairdresser, so I have access to anything.

I think I'm experiencing decision fatigue?

I don't care what my hair care costs because I'm a minimalist. I'll buy the quality few things over trying a few dozen... unlike my teenage self.

I also need a way to wear my hair up. A ponytail drags my neck backwards due to the weight of my hair (although it's really pretty.) I've been doing one long braid, but it doesn't stay nice looking. I'd LOVE to do a lazy wrap bun, but my hair isn't long enough yet. I'm grazing hip length. Ladies I've been away too long lol, help!

Current routine: wash and condition with suave coconut set, every third or fourth day. Air dry. Braid. Remove braid to ponytail if leaving the house.
    At hip as a iii, I could start to do a LWB. But you might have more thickness than me. Maybe try a pencil bun? I'm sure the tutorials are there (on YT), just type in pencil bun and you'll probably find it.

I don't think I have other options, because I went straight from a peacock twist to a LWB at about hip.

Good luck.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    You say your hair is frizzy with split ends - I don't know anything about previous routines you've tried so apologies if I suggest something you've already tried/considered and ruled out, but I heartily recommend trying double-conditioning, to see if it 'tames' your hair a bit. You might benefit from deep conditioning too, not even necessarily every time but once every {you decide how often}. What's your moisture/protein balance like (strand test)?

Um, can you do a braided bun at all? Cinnabun? You could maybe try doing a sectioned/frame bun (half in the bun, wrap the rest round), even double buns perhaps ... flipped braid, french/dutch braid with the end tucked or bunned somehow. Even double braids, pinned up around your head.

How do you wear it to sleep at night? Satin or silk can work wonders! Pillowcase, cap, scarf, anything to protect your hair a bit (if you aren't already).

I hope there's something in there that might be useful, or spark an idea or something
    I'm claiming pregnancy brain... I can hardly remember what I did! Satin/silk pillowcase! I've always wanted to try that and forgot!

In the past whenever to do any strand tests they seem neither one is dominant. But i used to deep condition in high school... I rather liked it.

I'm writing down all the bun suggestions...

Braids tucked at all are impossible for me because my ends are so thick that there's this HUGE lump that I can't tuck and hide. I'd love too... I've my ends thinned out allot from the haircut I grew out two years ago, so as I return to trimming once I hit tailbone (growing out last bits of layers) the thickness of my ends will only get worse.

Thanks, this all gives me major starting points!!!
    --- Isaiah 55 ---

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I'm going to suggest that you try a Disc Bun even though I don't have first hand experience with it. I can't wear it yet because my hair is still too short. The reason that I suggest it is that I've seen it suggested as a good option for someone with thick hair and also as a good option when hair is not quite long enough for some of the other buns. I'm waiting impatiently for my hair to get long enough to give it a try! HTH

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    At hip as a iii, I could start to do a LWB. But you might have more thickness than me. Maybe try a pencil bun? I'm sure the tutorials are there (on YT), just type in pencil bun and you'll probably find it.

I don't think I have other options, because I went straight from a peacock twist to a LWB at about hip.

Good luck.
    Happily writing down more buns... YouTube will be fun tonight.

Last time I measured my hair thickness it was over 4 inches but I don't recall the exact amount. But my hair is... "big." So perhaps we have same exact thickness even but my texture is very resistant to being flattened. Of course not on the TOP of my head! My hair is perfectly pleased to be flat up there! I'm naturally a walking triangle hehe Brave, the Disney movie... yea that's me, not the little mermaid with luxurious, bouncy volume all around type thickness
    --- Isaiah 55 ---

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
    I'm going to suggest that you try a Disc Bun even though I don't have first hand experience with it. I can't wear it yet because my hair is still too short. The reason that I suggest it is that I've seen it suggested as a good option for someone with thick hair and also as a good option when hair is not quite long enough for some of the other buns. I'm waiting impatiently for my hair to get long enough to give it a try! HTH
    I'm really excited about these suggestions... I'll have to post again with pics...
    --- Isaiah 55 ---

Length
    28"/35"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

A nautilus bun is a good option, and I'm seconding disc bun. Also, you should be able to do a cinnabun at any length, though I find those annoying. General bun tip: if your hair isn't long enough, try using, say three fingers instead of your whole hand to make the bun. Or go from two fingers to one for disc bun.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    A nautilus bun is a good option, and I'm seconding disc bun. Also, you should be able to do a cinnabun at any length, though I find those annoying. General bun tip: if your hair isn't long enough, try using, say three fingers instead of your whole hand to make the bun. Or go from two fingers to one for disc bun.
    I've tried buns (who knows which ones) and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the amount of fingers? My hair doesn't get tighter? Maybe I'm way under the learning curve in buns ha!

Writes down another bun... Thank you!
    --- Isaiah 55 ---

Length
    APL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I definitely think you should be able to do the disc bun. I was able to start doing that one at apl, despite my thickness, though mine is not as thick as yours. Disc bun is so my go too, though I can just manage a nautilus wrapped over 2 fingers.

Anyway, because you split the disc bun in 2 pieces and wrap them separately, it really helps with the thickness problem.

APL ~
    BSL~ Waist~ Hip ~BCL~ TBL
    Hennahead~Type 1c/M/ii/iii