Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amla treatments?

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Amla treatments?

I read so many good things about amla, and use so many oils with amla. I even infuse amla in oil sometimes and I do tend to like the results. But I don't see people doing amla treatments in the way that people do henna or cassia treatments. Is this even a thing? Would an amla treatment do anything for the hair?

I've mixed it in with glosses such as my Lush Noir bar, or sometimes mixed it with conditioner, but unfortunately my mind is too muddled to remember if I was even impressed with the results. Well, I suppose if I was impressed I would remember haha. But I've never used it on its own. I would love the hair darkening properties. Any experiences?
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Amla treatments?

Amla definitely comes in a powder, and I am sure you can do it the way henna is done. I don't know what the results are, though, as I have never ever tried this on my hair.

Hoping to read experiences!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I have always used in in conjunction with other washing and conditioning herbs, and can't recall ever seeing mention of someone using amla as a mud like henna or cassia. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason for this, it may be just that it's more typically used in infused oils or as a conditioning herb to mix with others like shikakai and aritha for regular washing. I've always thought of the darkening effect as something that happens over time with regular use, not the kind of immediate dye release you get with henna or indigo.

In my experience it has more of a strengthening and detangling quality than a softening one but experiences likely vary. I know that amla glosses with conditioner or coconut milk are a thing! One of those could be a great combo to try that would be easier to get out of your hair than a mud made with water alone, but could still give you some idea of how your hair does with deeper amla treatments. I do remember Shell mentioning in the Indian herb article that she sometimes uses 3 Tbsp of amla in 2 cups of water as a sort of conditioning rinse on it's own, and that could be another way to try it out as a part of your normal wash routine.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you try, and how it goes!

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I tried just amla as a mask. It was very hard to apply as the texture was like jam and it didn't stick to the hair well. I ended up only leaving it on for 10 minutes as it was so acidic, it started to burn my scalp.
    I didn't notice it doing anything for my hair in that time. If I try again, I'll mix it with neem or fenugreek.

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I tried just amla as a mask. It was very hard to apply as the texture was like jam and it didn't stick to the hair well. I ended up only leaving it on for 10 minutes as it was so acidic, it started to burn my scalp.
    I didn't notice it doing anything for my hair in that time. If I try again, I'll mix it with neem or fenugreek.
    I didn't realize amla was acidic! Makes sense, with it being 'high in vitamin c' and a fruit - doh. I may try mixing it with aloe, in that case. I still have some time to mull it over while I procrastinate on washing my hair.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    1 in/23 in/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I have only used amla in a herbal pack of multiple herbs, in my shikakai shampoo and in oils. I haven't tried just amla

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I ended up only leaving it on for 10 minutes as it was so acidic, it started to burn my scalp.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I didn't realize amla was acidic!
    I've actually used Amla as an acid rinse instead of ACV for this exact reason! (A tablespoon or 2 mixed with distilled water) I've also done more of a gloss treatment with Amla before and it worked well. I basically added enough coconut milk and conditioner to make it the same consistency as an SMT.

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HopelssRomantic View Post
    I've actually used Amla as an acid rinse instead of ACV for this exact reason! (A tablespoon or 2 mixed with distilled water) I've also done more of a gloss treatment with Amla before and it worked well. I basically added enough coconut milk and conditioner to make it the same consistency as an SMT.
    Ohhhhh that sounds lovely. Do you do it for the conditioning properties only, or do you also get some color from the treatment?
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    Ohhhhh that sounds lovely. Do you do it for the conditioning properties only, or do you also get some color from the treatment?
    I haven't noticed any color difference. From what I've read and experienced with Amla, it only darkens henna/hendigo. It does however, leave a tiny bit of a coating on my hair when I use it in a rinse (I don't notice at all when it's dry, I only know it's still there when I wash my hair again it rinses out as soon as it gets wet).

As for the gloss, I need to do it more often to see consistent effects, but I do like how it helps even my curl pattern (I have a range from 2b-3a hair that never likes to agree).

Also, C_Bookworm, I Love Love Love! all of your hair toys and styles in your signature! I seriously have to get more creative.

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HopelssRomantic View Post
    I haven't noticed any color difference. From what I've read and experienced with Amla, it only darkens henna/hendigo. It does however, leave a tiny bit of a coating on my hair when I use it in a rinse (I don't notice at all when it's dry, I only know it's still there when I wash my hair again it rinses out as soon as it gets wet).

As for the gloss, I need to do it more often to see consistent effects, but I do like how it helps even my curl pattern (I have a range from 2b-3a hair that never likes to agree).

Also, C_Bookworm, I Love Love Love! all of your hair toys and styles in your signature! I seriously have to get more creative.
    Ohhh good to know. The henna mix I buy has amla in there, but I’ve never experimented with amla alone. Definitely want to order some amla to try the next time I do an SMT-type treatment.

Thank you! I love experimenting.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer