Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inconsistent washing

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Inconsistent washing

At one point I thought I noticed a difference in how my scalp felt when I went longer without washing, but in the end, I don't think there is a difference. I think that's just me focusing too much on how my scalp is feeling. I never, ever had any issues with my scalp washing randomly, so I feel like slapping myself across the face for allowing it to get to me like that.

For me, washing frequently is just a preference based on how I like my hair to look and feel. It also seems to get tangled more easily as time goes on, due to the ends/lengths becoming dry and it probably has something to do with sebum and other stuff making the hair dirty as well.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I am quite 'random' on when I wash my hair. usually when it's convenient for me, it also depends on the weather and if I've been sweating a lot. I can always put it up if it looks bad. I sometimes wash just so I can deep condition the ends.

Hoping to get to bra strap length, technically it already is but only when all my hair is straightened.
    And I don't like wearing straight hair............

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I used to wash every other day like clockwork when I was out of the house 6 or 7 days each week. When I was waiting but crashing on the weekends, again I had a schedule dictated by needing my hair to look presentable when leaving the house. Now I'm not working, and at most leave the house 2 days each week (or 3 days on rare occasions) so my washing schedule is still dictated by that, but the days I go out sometimes change (I might be well enough to go out on Saturday morning, or Sunday morning, or neither) so yeah, it varies.

On *average* now I'll do a full wash once a week, plus or minus a day or two, and probably do a scalp wash in between. If I'm not well enough to go anywhere for a week or so, I will wash when my scalp tells me it needs washing - if I have the energy!

I read a Twitter thread that made an interesting point about consistency. Over time, we tend to have consistent cycles, such as hormones (men and women), mood, seasons, etc. But day-to-day we are naturally fairly inconsistent beings due to natural fluctuations in our bodies and our lives, and the point was that expecting consistency on a daily basis is therefore unnatural. (Finally found it, but warning for language: https://mobile.twitter.com/FelicityM...27189074919426) Not sure whether I totally agree, but I thought it relevant to the discussion.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I read a Twitter thread that made an interesting point about consistency. Over time, we tend to have consistent cycles, such as hormones (men and women), mood, seasons, etc. But day-to-day we are naturally fairly inconsistent beings due to natural fluctuations in our bodies and our lives, and the point was that expecting consistency on a daily basis is therefore unnatural. (Finally found it, but warning for language: https://mobile.twitter.com/FelicityM...27189074919426) Not sure whether I totally agree, but I thought it relevant to the discussion.
    Getting used to too much consistency could also be rather devastating or at the very least inconvenient from an evolutionary perspective. But this viewpoint is hardly relevant to a modern-day longhair.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

^ It did make me think about how at certain times in one's cycle, many of us find we're greasier/oilier, and also how many find a distinct difference between haircare in different seasons, which would all lend itself to inconsistent washing
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I need to be on some sort of schedule (SD), so it's the easiest for me to wash on a Sunday, every Sunday. It's just what works for me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gustavonut View Post
    I always wear a baseball cap too!! I work with candy so having my hair up and out of my way is a must. I’ve also worn a bandana to cover 3-5 day hair when I couldn’t bother washing it.
    I also work with food! I run the grill at a restaraunt
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I am very inconsistent when it comes to washing my hair. I theoretically wash it every Friday afternoon. In reality I wash it every 4 days to once a month. I will wash it on Thursday if I know I wont have time on Friday. I will wash it Saturday or Sunday or Monday if I ran out of time on the previous days. If it gets to Tuesday unwashed I'll just wait till the next Friday. If this happens several weeks in a row I can go a month without washing and I end up wearing a lot of headscarves. My scalp really does not like me not washing it for a month but if I get busy or sick I don't have the time/ability to wash it when I can just cover it with a scarf.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    21/HL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I'm sort of inconsistent lately. More like consistently consistent... my aim is tho wash in the morning and go three days in between the next wash. This way I have two days where my hair is clean and the last day I can use dry shampoo and it's still presentable. That's if I wear it up every day. If I wear it down it gets dirty faster. Then the inconsistency comes in when I don't want to wake up early so I wash it at night... Then my waking hours have dirtier hair. So I try to get back on track. I don't want to ramble on, but I am frustrated with not having a routine I can stick to and with my oily scalp.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I'm one that washes my hair whenever I feel like it. Or, every other day. If I go a whole week without washing it my hair and scalp looks and feels greasy, and I don't like using dry shampoos or powders.