Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive breakage

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Massive breakage

Hello all
    After being gone for a few months, i went through a period of depression and i was not caring for my hair as much as i usually did.
    I have been stuck at the same length since last year but its because i am dealing with massive breakage.
    The depression just wrecked my hair bad, 4" up the length is just splits and white dots and bent ends with white dots.
    Its not good. I am almost debating on cutting back up to waist just to get rid of some of it.
    But its taken me so long to get here...everyday is just a struggle though, my hair is always tangled, always matted.
    Its getting bothersome. I cant wear it down, it breaking and tangled, im just starting to hate my hair and really question why I am growing it long.
    Because i dont enjoy it and when i try to it just breaks apart.

Has anyone else gone through this? I just want to reach tailbone..

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Default Re: Massive breakage

Olaplex.. olaplex.. get olaplex. The thing that stopped my breakage.. Olaplex 3 initially, but if you can get 2 go for that. Put on your hair over night, wash off next day. I use that in combination with Khair-pep (google it, but also info on this forum).. both stopped my breakage.. well worth trying!!

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cate36 View Post
    Olaplex.. olaplex.. get olaplex. The thing that stopped my breakage.. Olaplex 3 initially, but if you can get 2 go for that. Put on your hair over night, wash off next day. I use that in combination with Khair-pep (google it, but also info on this forum).. both stopped my breakage.. well worth trying!!
    I tried it once and within 3 days my hair was getting tangled and such. I didnt try overnight.. i guess I can try that next.
    It just didnt last very long.

Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    I tried it once and within 3 days my hair was getting tangled and such. I didnt try overnight.. i guess I can try that next.
    It just didnt last very long.
    Did you condition after it? The longer on the better.. but maybe your hair needs more of a protein treatment? Take a look at Khair-pep..? http://www.khairpep.com/ Many people love this product.. is a best seller here in Aust.... Hang in there.. there are solutions... Xo

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cate36 View Post
    Did you condition after it? The longer on the better.. but maybe your hair needs more of a protein treatment? Take a look at Khair-pep..? http://www.khairpep.com/ Many people love this product.. is a best seller here in Aust.... Hang in there.. there are solutions... Xo
    Yes i did.

I really cant afford to buy more treatments and expensive hair products right now but thanks for the rec.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I had alot of bleach and dye damage that I grew out and did a big chop from hip to chin and it was freeing but I also felt naked lol. Same as you it was white dots, splits galore and bent right angle ends. Would dread itself if i turned my head too quickly. I grew it out and held onto it for over a year to grow my virgin hair to chin and cut it all out. But I do kinda wish I would have went it smaller increments. I would just say stew it over before making a decision because emotional/depression spur of the moment cuts almost always end in regret.

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I’m sorry you’ve been having troubles with your depression, try to hang in there.

For your hair, how about some S&D? You don’t necessarily have to cut way back if your ends are in rough shape. A lot of the time, it’s actually less breakage than it appears to yourself, even if it is a lot. And if you do decide to trim, I’d say do 2 inches, or maybe even 1, to start off with. Every little bit could make a big difference.

Good luck.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

Length
    ft/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I haven't gone through something like that and I'm very sorry that you have to.
    You are not alone though. The lhc is here to help you.

First I'd recommend putting on a movie and s&d-ing out all the damage. There is no use in keeping split ends.

This should take care of at least some of the tangling in your ends. Split and damaged hair likes to stick to oneanother.
    When you're done with s&d-ing you can still decide if you want to trim a bit.

After you've taken care of your ends it's time to eliminate the other causes for why your hair is "always tangeld".
    Maybe your hair just wants some different products. Or it doesn't like some of the ingredients you are using. You could try a coney conditioner. Or if you're already using one, try to clarify your hair. For me just using shampoo all over does the trick. This helps against product buildup and against hard water. Be sure to condition afterwards though.

I'll admit I dont know a lot about depression. I kind of imagine a lot of lying in bed. Maybe invest in a silk pillowcase to minimize future damage?

I'm just kind off shooting in the dark though since I dont know anything about the history of your hair and about your hair care routine.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    clssc/chin/shldr
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I'm sorry you are going through that, depression is a real pain in the a**
    I second Reyn127 with the S&D. It can be time consuming, but in a way that's the beauty of it, you can see the time you are spending on it as a moment of self care. However if you do decide to cut back to waist, try to do it from a positive mindset, knowing you are doing it so you can enjoy your long hair more in a day to day basis. Whatever you decide, try to make it about yourself and what's better for your mental health and happiness. When we are depressed it's too easy to see the negative side of things, and blame ourselves instead of being compassionate. Hang in there

What are you doing for your hair right now? What sort of products do you use?

I echo doing a S&D, I do monthly S&D's followed by a microtrim, that way I'm still gaining length but also getting rid of damage and allowing thickness to travel down the lengths.