Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Make your own capillary schedule

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Make your own capillary schedule

Quote Originally Posted by CuteCrow View Post
    And most of those products are really affordable in Brazil. Why can't they be everywhere else too?

As fas a I know most Brazilian wash their hair as follows shampoo -> mask -> conditioner. Some skip the conditioner after the mask but a lot of them do it like that. The capillary schedule is just like a guide for the type of products your hair need for the "mask" part.

There's a lot of general tips around the Brazilian hair care community too. A lot of them use oils or masks before washing their hair, preach finger detangling only as the best way to detangle, use masks while exercising so the body heat helps to open the cuticles, sectioning and aplying products to each section individually doesn't matter your hair density...

I think Novex is a really good brand if you can find the petrolatum free products and easy to find outside Brazil
    I wish I had access to to Skala or Kanechom :/.

So basically, they do some kind of WCC but with deepco as C1 .

Is cowashing common too over there? Do most of them follow the no sulfates/no cones rules, or is it each to their own just like here on this forum?

I do finger detangling as well, but on IG I see Brazilian curlies using the brush/comb generously for styling.

Tbh I'm actually curious about the petrolatum masks from Novex because the Mystic Black was too heavy in shea butter for me (adds too much grip).

It's unfortunate I can't understand Portuguese, since not everything is translatable .

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Edit: double post
    Last edited by Fimu; July 29th, 2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimu View Post
    I wish I had access to to Skala or Kanechom :/.

So basically, they do some kind of WCC but with deepco as C1 .

Is cowashing common too over there? Do most of them follow the no sulfates/no cones rules, or is it each to their own just like here on this forum?

I do finger detangling as well, but on IG I see Brazilian curlies using the brush/comb generously for styling.

Tbh I'm actually curious about the petrolatum masks from Novex because the Mystic Black was too heavy in shea butter for me (adds too much grip).

It's unfortunate I can't understand Portuguese, since not everything is translatable .
    Skala is a really nice cheap brand that gets most of its ingredients from brazil itself, that's why it's so cheap there. Same with Kanechom and many other Brazilian brands but skala is the oldest one in the Brazilian market and has a HUGE variety of products. "Salon line", "lola" and "seda" are other brands that have been recommended to me.

Keep in mind that what I know mostly comes from Brazilian friends, I'm not Brazilian myself but I understand some Portuguese. That said, I have seen a lot of people co-washing but they kind of encourage you to find your scalp "dryness". If you have a greasy to normal scalp you can use shampoo normally, with normal to dry I've seen a lot of people mixing a small amount of shampoo with their conditioner as a sort of DYI cowash conditioner, and if you have dry to very dry scalp use only conditioner.

I've also seen a lot of them use brushes for styling. I suppose because once the hair is detangled it's safer to use a brush on it? I don't know, I haven't heard anyone comment on that, but I've seen a trend recently of dedãoliss vs dedinho . I guess both would translate to finger coiling, so I think people are gravitating towards finger styling too.

Low poo/ no poo is a thing there but I've seen people a lot more concerned with petroleum derivates than with silicones.

The problem with petrolatum, liquid paraffin and mineral oils is that they act pretty much like silicones. They create a barrier on top of your hair that can build up and just give the impression of soft and moisturized hair that goes away next time you wash your hair. Anyway, I think the main issue with these ingredients is not the ingredients themselves but how high in the ingredient list they are. That usually means the product is quite cheaply made. If they were, say, in the top ten I wouldn't buy that product.

If you need help translating something I see no problem if you post it here so me or someone else can help.

Curly:
    Buzz~NL~SL~APL~BSL~WL
    Buzz | NL | SL | APL | BSL | WL | HL| TBL | Classic

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

This is interesting! I might have to try it out

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Skala is a really nice cheap brand that gets most of its ingredients from brazil itself, that's why it's so cheap there. Same with Kanechom and many other Brazilian brands but skala is the oldest one in the Brazilian market and has a HUGE variety of products. "Salon line", "lola" and "seda" are other brands that have been recommended to me.

Keep in mind that what I know mostly comes from Brazilian friends, I'm not Brazilian myself but I understand some Portuguese. That said, I have seen a lot of people co-washing but they kind of encourage you to find your scalp "dryness". If you have a greasy to normal scalp you can use shampoo normally, with normal to dry I've seen a lot of people mixing a small amount of shampoo with their conditioner as a sort of DYI cowash conditioner, and if you have dry to very dry scalp use only conditioner.

Low poo/ no poo is a thing there but I've seen people a lot more concerned with petroleum derivates than with silicones.

The problem with petrolatum, liquid paraffin and mineral oils is that they act pretty much like silicones. They create a barrier on top of your hair that can build up and just give the impression of soft and moisturized hair that goes away next time you wash your hair. Anyway, I think the main issue with these ingredients is not the ingredients themselves but how high in the ingredient list they are. That usually means the product is quite cheaply made. If they were, say, in the top ten I wouldn't buy that product.
    Ah that makes sense why their products are affordable! Is it correct that most Skala products are free of both silicones and petrolatum?

I don't have Brazilian friends, but it's hard to get the products anyway with the current situation. The Novex products are the only options for me atm.

I probably have a normal to dry scalp, but I'm trying out diluted SLES shampoo and recently bought a low-poo.

True, the petrolatum/mineral oil are as "non-CG" as silicones, but I need the big guns to detangle my hair. Most Novex masks have petrolatum in the top 5 ingredients. What are better alternatives? I don't like polyquats and products with shea butter in the top 5 ingredients.

I finished my first successful schedule (to be honest I've been trying it on and off for a couple of years but never finished a whole month) and wrote my impressions on my blog here, but here's a summary:
    My final thoughts are that I'll probably keep following it but very loosely. I won't be doing any protein treatments anytime soon or I'll dilute them in a more hydrating conditioner. I want to stretch my washes to probably twice a week and I'll alternate between moisture and nutrition, with pre-poo oiling for nutrition days

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    This is interesting! I might have to try it out
    You should definitely try it! I think it's an easy way to start taking better care out complicating it too much. And if you only use comertial masks it's even easier.
    Also, the app mentioned above follows the 12 wash days order and is really useful if you don't want to try to guess what your hair needs. Keep in mind it's somewhat badly translated but good enough for the test and reminders.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimu View Post
    Ah that makes sense why their products are affordable! Is it correct that most Skala products are free of both silicones and petrolatum?

I don't have Brazilian friends, but it's hard to get the products anyway with the current situation. The Novex products are the only options for me atm.

I probably have a normal to dry scalp, but I'm trying out diluted SLES shampoo and recently bought a low-poo.

True, the petrolatum/mineral oil are as "non-CG" as silicones, but I need the big guns to detangle my hair. Most Novex masks have petrolatum in the top 5 ingredients. What are better alternatives? I don't like polyquats and products with shea butter in the top 5 ingredients.
    Yes! I think all skala products are silicone and petrolatum free (maybe some old products are not but they usually go with the trends). If you can find divino potão it's like sunshine made conditioner. You can always try novex products as it seems they are the only available to you, most of "my curls/meus cachos" line don't contain petrolatum or silicones but shea butter is quite high on the list. So I'm not so sure what to suggest, most products without petrolatum/mineral oils/liquid parafin have it written on the outside of the bottle "sem petrolatos"

Curly:
    Buzz~NL~SL~APL~BSL~WL

Just found these pages. They are in Portuguese but it's about products available in portugal so it's useful for those in Europe and probably in other parts of the world as well.
    Cronograma capilar portugal and here's Google translated
    Basic hair schedule of the poors and Google translated

I don't know if she has been suggested here before but she's based in the UK and some of her page is translated. She usually reviews products giving information on how they fit the hair schedule
    Miss Curly
    Last edited by CuteCrow; August 3rd, 2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added the google translations just int case

Curly:
    Buzz~NL~SL~APL~BSL~WL

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Just found these pages. They are in Portuguese but it's about products available in portugal so it's useful for those in Europe and probably in other parts of the world as well.
    Cronograma capilar portugal and here's Google translated
    Basic hair schedule of the poors and Google translated

I don't know if she has been suggested here before but she's based in the UK and some of her page is translated. She usually reviews products giving information on how they fit the hair schedule
    Miss Curly
    Thank you for the links! I will look further whether it's possible to get Skala.

Are you fully cone-free and MO-free or do you use cones sometimes?

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

You should definitely try it! I think it's an easy way to start taking better care out complicating it too much. And if you only use commercial masks it's even easier.
    Also, the app mentioned above follows the 12 wash days order and is really useful if you don't want to try to guess what your hair needs. Keep in mind it's somewhat badly translated but good enough for the test and reminders.
    I did the test thing and left my straind floating in water for 5 minutes, it didn't sink even a little so I'm guessing it means i need moisture, I know it isn't an exact science but it is enough of an idea of what I need to use
    Shoulder+ by my 40th (May 2025)
    Buzz>>>Pixie>>>Chin>>>Shoulder
    Living The Split Dye Life

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I did the test thing and left my straind floating in water for 5 minutes, it didn't sink even a little so I'm guessing it means i need moisture, I know it isn't an exact science but it is enough of an idea of what I need to use
    gives me an excuse to use my hair foods since pretty much all of them are for hydrating hair. got all of them except aloe vera but i'll get that one soon
    Shoulder+ by my 40th (May 2025)
    Buzz>>>Pixie>>>Chin>>>Shoulder
    Living The Split Dye Life