Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting your hair "Done"

Length
    17/33/40
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Getting your hair "Done"

I was thinking about how I remember hearing about women getting their hair 'done' every week in the 50s (whether that's true of not) and that made me think. If you could go to a salon and have you hair put into a nice updo (and yes I'm assuming we all have the income that we don't ) every few weeks or so, would you? Then you just wrap your hair at night and wash it every week, week and a half. I think I would. That would be worth going to the salon for. There are a lot of buns I'd like to try and my arms just get to tired to do it myself. Anyway, that's my fantasy.
    BS/WL/Elbow/Hip/TailBone/Classic/Fingertip

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Getting your hair "Done"

I had a lovely scalp massage when a stylist washed my hair once before a trim. I'd go once a week just for that provided time and money were not an issue and I liked talking to the stylist.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

That's what we used to do back when I was younger. I don't know how my mom afforded it, but if I'm remembering right, she would do it mainly for my hair because she hated having to do my hair and her own hair (my sisters had moved out by then), it was thicker than all of my sisters'. We would go for a silk wrap, basically get it washed, set on rollers, then wrapped under a dryer. It would come out silky straight. I think we did this every two weeks for some bit of time. Yes, hair always looked wonderful, but my hair was so short because of all of the heat and grease and tools they would use. Sometimes they would do cute stuff like flat-twisted styles, but honestly it was a pain stressing about having to make whatever they did last two weeks. And if I wanted to wash it early, or got caught in the rain, I would hear it from mom after that!

So in short, I'd rather just do my own hair.

I wonder how salons were back in the 50s, but I think most black salons haven't changed much at all. Now, natural hair salons are a huge thing, and braiding salons as well, but they are extremely expensive. You'd be lucky to walk into a black salon at random and not see a tub of relaxer and a hot comb.
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

stop the world, i want to get off.

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I get my hair done in a fancy braided style that I cannot do myself once a year. I get my hair done on Sunday than take it down and wash it on Friday. I cannot leave it in any longer than that as my scalp starts to itch. When I get my hair done for an event I usually go with a long lasting style that I can keep in for the week. After taking my hair down my scalp usually hurts and is rather tangled from the fiddly things done to it. It also takes a rather long time due to the amount of hair I have. In addition I enjoy being able to switch around my hairstyles at my whim. I would not want to be stuck with the inconvenience and rigidity of getting my hair done regularly but I like it as an occasional treat.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/FTL+/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

It's true. My mother dragged me with her to her weekly appointment.

It was torture. Loud and hot by the dryers, cold and drafty elsewhere, and permeating throughout were the most vile, noxious fumes. Add incessant, inane, high-decibel blather.

Women went in as bubbleheads and came out looking no different. But they always left knowing who was having marital troubles, whose children were failing in school, and other information crucial to their lives.

It may not surprise you that I wouldn't go to a salon now even at gunpoint.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

No, I wouldn't.

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I wouldn't go.
    My mother used to go every week religiously, her hair would be washed, dried, combed/backcombed to death, put up in a beehive - type updo with curls at the back and drenched in hairspray. She would sleep with it wrapped in a silk scarf, and it would stay that way until her next visit to the salon. I used to cringe seeing a brush ripping through the backcombed/lacquered hair, it's a wonder she had any left. It looked awesome when it was freshly done though, she looked wonderfully elegant...
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    SH/SH/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I wouldn’t do it. I have been known to keep a killer style in my hair from a salon as long as possible. I usually last about 2-3 days.

My grandma still gets this done once a week. She has bad shoulder and can’t reach to wash her hair properly so every Friday morning gets it washed, set and dried.

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    It's true. My mother dragged me with her to her weekly appointment.

It was torture. Loud and hot by the dryers, cold and drafty elsewhere, and permeating throughout were the most vile, noxious fumes. Add incessant, inane, high-decibel blather.

Women went in as bubbleheads and came out looking no different. But they always left knowing who was having marital troubles, whose children were failing in school, and other information crucial to their lives.

It may not surprise you that I wouldn't go to a salon now even at gunpoint.
    Oh yeah, how could i forget that! So much gossip! Fortunately my mom raised me to be a recluse so nobody knew anything about us LOL.
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

stop the world, i want to get off.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Michiru View Post
    I was thinking about how I remember hearing about women getting their hair 'done' every week in the 50s (whether that's true of not) and that made me think. If you could go to a salon and have you hair put into a nice updo (and yes I'm assuming we all have the income that we don't ) every few weeks or so, would you? Then you just wrap your hair at night and wash it every week, week and a half. I think I would. That would be worth going to the salon for. There are a lot of buns I'd like to try and my arms just get to tired to do it myself. Anyway, that's my fantasy.
    My grandma on dad's side did this her whole life. She would get it washed and set in rollers at the salon.

If they would do nice, not damaging (key word), updos, I might treat myself on an occasion (like for Christmas or NY). But the "regular" updos with hundreds of bobby pins - no way.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)