Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a double standard for how long is "Long" on others/yourself?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Do you have a double standard for how long is "Long" on others/yourself?

In other words, at what length do you perceive other people's hair as being "Long" and how different is that from what feels "Long" on yourself? And how much do you think your perception of "how long is Long" has changed since you joined LHC?

I did some measurements the other day and it seems I'm about 3-4 inches from waist: 3 inches to just touching waist, and 4-4.5 inches to "solid" waist. 6 inches or so to hip. Short. Whenever I see waist-or-longer hair on others I see it as being quite long, so it seems like I should feel like my own hair is getting pretty long too, but for some reason I don't feel like it's anywhere close. Even before I ever joined LHC, I've never felt like my hair was long, even though it's been hip+ once or twice, so I don't think this is purely LHC-itis. I find this interesting, and wonder if anyone else has this sort of "double standard" like I do.

Length
    15/29.5/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Do you have a double standard for how long is "Long" on others/yourself?

:raises hand: me!! I always do this - I can look at someone with shorter hair than mine and go "Gosh that's long!" and not feel like mine is long - maybe that's just the 'wishing' part of us that is waiting for longer hair? It's because of the goal?

Shoulder~APL~BSL
    ~Waist - Onward to Hip?!

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Do you have a double standard for how long is "Long" on others/yourself?

I look at people who are around APL and think their hair is long. I'm only a couple inches from APL now, but when I last straightened my hair I thought it was soo short that it made me sad. I don't know if that couple inches would change my mind. Now I think maybe around BSL I will think my hair is long? I'm not sure.

My standard for YouTubers is different, though. A long hair YouTuber should have at least TBL hair, or their hair isn't long enough for me to listen to what they have to say
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I don't consider anything shorter than Classic (ok, maybe tailbone) as "long long".

There is the "longish long but still average" kinda thing, and that's what I perceive differently. Like, on other people waist looks "longish long", but on myself I didn't feel "longish" until I got to buttcrack. Even hip doesn't feel long, it feels like waist, and waist felt like bra strap.

blackgothicdoll, I feel the same way about youtubers! Just the other day a video popped up in my recommended tab, it was a girl with mid-back length telling everyone how she managed to grow her hair so fabulously long and healthy. I tried my hardest to not leave a sarcastic comment
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    bsl/tbl/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Yup, i see hair that's apl on others and think that's long, yet my almost tailbone length hair is still really short to me i wonder if it will ever actually feel long.

This is definitely something that I do. I would consider bra strap or middle back length as long hair but for myself I would say classic length.

Length
    20.5"/22"/32"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

My hair is just a couple inches past APL, but it feels so short to me. Also, I have a long torso, so inches wise, what looks like it should hit the next goal length numbers-wise is always longer than I think it should be. But I guess my definition of long is probably at least mid back to waist length with both me and others.

When it comes to Youtubers, if their "how to grow long hair" or "tip" video doesn't talk about at least one other source of information than their own hair, I have a really hard time taking them seriously no matter how long their hair is. There is a ton of information easily accessible on the internet about how to grow your hair out, so in my opinion, if you aren't willing to take some time to do some research on the topic, you probably shouldn't be talking like you are an expert on the topic.

Length
    APL/Waist/?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii

I'll be reaching waist lenght soon, my hair hasn't been this long for over 20 years, so I should be able to see it as long hair, but the definition of long hair has definitely changed for me after joining LHC.

APL --- BSL --- MBL --- Waist --- Hip --> ?

Length
    BSL/WL+/HL-TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

Long - More than BSL (for other people)
    For me I will start considering it long at middle back length or waist. Before LHC (or before I really wanted my hair long) I would think that APL was long
    REALLY long won't be until hip length.
    * BSL* MBL* WL* HL* TLB *

Length
    27/36/45+
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I'm guilty of a double-standard, yes.

Anyone other than me with waist length hair I consider long, though I don't consider it REALLY long until it gets in and around classic length.

For me, I have hip length hair, and I've absentmindedly told others (on numerous occasions no less) that my hair was terribly short. It FEELS short to me. I look at it in mirrors and pictures and feel disappointed with how short it is. I'm wondering how long I'll have to grow it before it feels 'long'.