Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another hair typing post ft. short hair being weird as.

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Question Another hair typing post ft. short hair being weird as.

I've always considered my hair fully straight, it may have bent a bit with layers or some such but basically, straight 1a assumed. Hair typing confuses me so help would be appreciated!

Recently, as my hair has been growing out it's been acting, weird I guess?. I took some hair typing pics to see if letting my hair dry naturally without brushing (surprisingly hard) would answer my q's:
    First pic is probably the most accurate? Sorry for the selfie camera pics.

then brushed it out to show what I'd be working with if I ever let my hair air dry. I usually blow dry and it ends up pretty much entirely straight. But like, look how straight and non-frizzy the top of that is, I have veeeery straight hair normally.

Assuming my hair isn't too short to type does this mean I'm like a 1b or something? Or is it only waving there because it's so layered (through growing from one length all over) and that's where my neck is? Actually the more I look the more certain I am that that's the reason.

Either way, it's interesting how length can effect what one's hair does.
    So if anyone's read this far, what hair type is this really? Does it even matter? Love to hear your thoughts!
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Another hair typing post ft. short hair being weird as.

Looks like 1b, maybe 1c judging from the 3rd picture (such a lovely picture). Maybe mark it 1b/c, just to be on the safe side.

It is a little short, with loose waves especially you need about APL to start to properly tell.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

It's too short. My waves didn't properly show up until almost BSL. You're probably 2a since your waves start high up. But at this length it appears 1b.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Your hair is lovely! I would say 1c at the moment and reassess when it’s longer.

It’s common for hair in the 1s to be straight at the top, mine is the same, makes having a fringe less problematic!

I used to think I had 1a hair too and that it misbehaved, it got bent where it touched my neck, but then I realised the difference. 1a hair is strikingly straight, it doesn’t curl under or up at the ends, it looks like it’s been straightened. Very striking and beautiful.

1b hair, according to the hair typing system, looks straight but has body. In my opinion, it looks more like it’s been blow dried straight rather than flat ironed. The difference is noticeable if you compare to a 1a, it has more volume.

1c is more like a river winding a course through the landscape The hair moves together rather than individual waves that you get in the 2s.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

There's so much movement going on there I'd agree with 1c. If you were 1a your hair would probably naturally dry like your brushed-out pic but definitely retype again when it's longer too!

Lady Stardust I LOVE those descriptions!!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Looks like 1b, maybe 1c judging from the 3rd picture (such a lovely picture). Maybe mark it 1b/c, just to be on the safe side.

It is a little short, with loose waves especially you need about APL to start to properly tell.
    Thank you! I'll probably come back to this thread when I get to that length then and re-type.

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    It's too short. My waves didn't properly show up until almost BSL. You're probably 2a since your waves start high up. But at this length it appears 1b.
    Noted! Will definitely come and re-type when I get to be actually long. Though I used to have markedly straight hair at that length so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Your hair is lovely! I would say 1c at the moment and reassess when it’s longer.

It’s common for hair in the 1s to be straight at the top, mine is the same, makes having a fringe less problematic!

I used to think I had 1a hair too and that it misbehaved, it got bent where it touched my neck, but then I realised the difference. 1a hair is strikingly straight, it doesn’t curl under or up at the ends, it looks like it’s been straightened. Very striking and beautiful.

1b hair, according to the hair typing system, looks straight but has body. In my opinion, it looks more like it’s been blow dried straight rather than flat ironed. The difference is noticeable if you compare to a 1a, it has more volume.

1c is more like a river winding a course through the landscape The hair moves together rather than individual waves that you get in the 2s.
    Those are really lovely descriptions and very helpful, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    There's so much movement going on there I'd agree with 1c. If you were 1a your hair would probably naturally dry like your brushed-out pic but definitely retype again when it's longer too!

Lady Stardust I LOVE those descriptions!!
    Thank you! Looks like I'm changing at least temporarily to 1b/1c.

It's very surprising though, as people used to ask if I'd straightened my hair in its natural state, but my grandma seems adamant that my hair used to be wavy so what is the truth haha.
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm going with 1C. It's amazing how much length can change your hair type. I get spirals that don't really form until around APL. At chin length my hair is pretty much straight but bushy, very bushy.

Length
    APL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I'm going to guess 1c. Your hair appears to behave a lot like mine, and I've always considered it straight. But I get the weird bends that aren't proper waves too. But it looks totally straight if I so much as brush it out wet, or blow dry.

APL ~
    BSL~ Waist~ Hip ~BCL~ TBL
    Hennahead~Type 1c/M/ii/iii

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Feel free to ignore this update, it's only been like 3-4 months and I'm not at APL for accurate hair typing, but nonetheless thought I'd try this again to see if it had straightened out, guess not so much. I feel like my life has been a lie I thought my hair was bone straight guess 1b/c it is!

But if I brush it out it smooths down as normal, heres untouched vs shaking it out vigorously vs brushing just for comparison
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

You have great body wave! Beautiful shine too