Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody notice basically no difference cone-free?

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Anybody notice basically no difference cone-free?

So for the last few weeks (can't remember the exact date, but it's in my journal somewhere) I've been following a cone-free regime.

I clarified at the beginning of my experiment with baking powder (or bicarb or whatever it is you're supposed to use; I did check at the time but I've since forgotten) and a vinegar rinse. I noticed almost no difference in my hair.

Since then, I've used lush's rehab (the only cone-free shampoo I have) or no shampoo, and a variety of cone-free conditioners.

I honestly don't think this has made any difference to my hair for better OR worse...but I can't help thinking that's a little unusual.

I'm thinking of going back to cones just so that I can worry less about what's in my products and also use up some of the other shampoos/conditioners I have.

Has anyone else noticed pretty much no difference without cones? Am I doing something wrong?

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Length
    short/short/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Default Re: Anybody notice basically no difference cone-free?

I hear ya! The only difference I notice with cones is that its slightly easier to
    comb out after washing. I have coarse hair and its pretty tough. I use both
    cone and no cone. Its all good.

Deb

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I don't notice a huge difference, but my hair is definitely has less tangles with cones. I also get a little more wave without.

My hair gets ALOT more tangles without cones. Some people are better off using cones. I think it is a personal preference.

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I've tried both. Although I've never gone more than a week or two cone free I didn't notice any difference.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've been cone-free for quite a while, but I don't recall much difference from when I was using cones. I mostly do this because I find the results of shampooing so fluffy that I want to have to do it minimally, and I assume that not using cones means that I'll have less buildup from CO washing to shampoo out.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I've been cone-free for about five months? I'm not sure - my hair looks a LOT better, but that could be because of all the other stuff I've been doing here!!

I have thought about trying cones again, but then again, why would I? Cone-free conditioners are SOOOOOOOO much cheaper, and my hair is looking great. I have also been wondering about how much cones there are in leave-in conditioner, because the rich formula cone-free leave-in conditioner I bought (which is great) cost an absolute FORTUNE (Over £25....shhhh!).

These are the things that I think about - I'm glad I have this board to share it with, because no one in my real life cares about cones in conditioners, lol.

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I went cone free for a good 10 months and did see an improvement but then it was like my hair got used to that routine so I tried cones and it liked them. Nowadays I use which ever conditioner is available and my hair is just as suited.
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Very little difference for me either.

I think the biggest difference for me was how long I could go between cleanings.
    "If we amplify everything, we hear nothing"

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

My hair gets yucky if I use cones regularly. But I have fine hair. i have a hypothesis that people with fine hair are the ones who seem to do best with no cones, but....I wonder if there has ever been a poll.

I do remember that it did take several months for everything to settle down and i had to clarify a couple of times before it was really degunked.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+