Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's your hair story?

Length
    15.5/16.5/30
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: What's your hair story?

Welcome Esinklee, I'm brand new here as well.

The longest my hair has ever been was to my waist as a kid until I turned 9, then got the old Dorothy Hamill haircut. I had really nice dark hair, fine hair but LOTS of hair which made it look thicker. In HS, my friend stayed over while my parents went to Canada and we decided it would be neat to cut each others hair. At that point, my hair was about BSL. At the end of her stay my hair was the shortest it had been with a punk rock hair style. I was sick and my mom came back and let me have it because I let her do that to my nice hair. Never did that again until about 7 or 8 years ago, got a pixie cut due to bad damage. Grew it back out, which seemed like forever, to MBL.

The first time I ever had any kind of color or anything else on my hair was when I was 28, from there on out I kept doing more and more and getting more and more blonde. A couple times I went back to my normal hair color but then once grays started showing up I went back to blonde to help conceal them. All was well until I hit the age 53 and went through a menopausal emotional upset and decided it was time to go back to natural color but I went to dark brown instead of my natural med. brown and it was a huge shock, so much so that I said I have to get my blonde back.

2 MAJOR hair disasters last year and now have the WORST hair condition I've ever had, period! It was very difficult to have finally gotten my hair from pixie cut to MBL and then to have to chop it all off again and start over. But now I'm through with the bleach thing, forever! And will not get any color or anything but deep treatments until at least June. So it's just hats for me all the time. Half my hair is gone and little short broken hairs all over top. It's bad and very sad. But I intend to stick to this very difficult regimen of doing nothing with it. It's hard wearing hats all the time.

My mother forced me to cut my hair very short until the age of 11, afterwards I've quite decided against it because I've always wanted very long hair. From age of 11 or so, I've let my hair grow and now it's my mid back and aiming for waist length. ;-)

Length
    15/37/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've always had hair shoulder length or shorter hair. When I was a kid, my mother kept it short because it was thick, tangly, and I was sick very often. When I started dealing with my own hair cuts, I kept it shoulder length or so because I was given the old tired line of how "short hair looks better on round/chubby/fat faces". I also dyed it often because I do not like my natural black hair colour.

I am very wary of hair dressers due to an incident in childhood where I got a super short cut; I was not expecting it, and I was not happy about it. After that, I required someone else be around whenever I got my hair cut. I had one hair dresser whom I trusted. So when I moved to the US, I didn't have a hair dresser.

Add laziness to distrust of hair dressers, and my partner convincing me to grow it out, and I ended up close to waist length. It was the longest my hair had ever been. I had also picked up some better hair care habits along the way - how to condition properly, not washing too often, and combing/brushing from the ends up. I also wore my hair up most of the time as I dislike wearing it down, especially since I live in a very windy place.

I joined the LHC, learnt more about hair care, and hair toys, and started to care for my hair more. Due to my innate curiosity, I am now growing to terminal length.

My hair is no longer thick, and I am sick much less often, but it is still very tangly. I still dye it, though I plan to stop by the end of this year. I'm still figuring out what works for my hair, and my ends are full of little white dots from years of bad habits, and dyeing. But my hair is probably the healthiest it has been in quite awhile, and at least I am learning good habits

And, in another two inches, I'll be at the longest I have ever been

☮ 60's Flower Child ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/H~TB/H~TB
    Type
    2c/F/ii

My hair story has its' ups and downs ~

Mother had the say re: my hair length/style until I was a teenager; I endured bowl cuts and home perms, along with bobby pin curls that caused migraines and a scalp sensitivity that persists to this day (thanks Ma )

I kept my hair short @chin and sleek during most of High School in the 60's....side part and one side tucked behind my ear....the other hanging over my eye

Junior year I started growing it out and kept it @ WL until my first child was born in the early 70's, then I did a SL Bob.

The following decade brought me various lengths, highlights, a perm, then a pixie and eventually grew back out to waist again....until my friend/stylist fried it green :

Another salon spent the day with me trying to recover my natural color and had to cut a foot off, but I saw my true color at age 50 and was overjoyed

Family and friends thought the blonde I wore was mine because I was light as a child but I did darken to a light brown, so it was years before they believed me....especially as the silver was coming in.

As the silver came in so did the curls and it was wild...especially in humid weather; I had a hard time styling it and decided to grow it out.

I was 61 and found LHC who became my sole support and inspiration....family and friends were the naysayers

I grew out to TBL by the time I hit 65....am mostly silver now and it is all one length.

There is never a bad hair day and I love switching up styles and hair toys as I am inspired to each day.

There are no plans to cut my hair short again.....unless my health care needs necessitates it in the future

Welcome to the forum; I hope you enjoy your journey as much as I did ~ Happy growing
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; February 14th, 2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Enjoy each stage of YOUR journey

Here's my story. I always has longish hair (midback range)growing up until I went through a phase where I wanted it shoulder length and layered...my go to was a pony tail. My grandmother had always taken me to get my hair cut and then for some reason we forgot about it. So then my hair kept getting longer to my delight. I started to get compliments on my pretty long hair and I enjoyed having something to be proud of.
    My mom always wanted to play with my hair when I was younger and I wouldn't let her. She even had ordered the hair origami set with the VHS and sadly I only let her use it a couple of times. This drove my mother crazy that I wouldn't do anything special with my hair because a braid is not special enough for her. What she would like me to wear is those 1960's elaborate hairstyles with a ton of hairspray which that takes forever to do and remove.
    Once my hair got to classical then I started trying new things with my hair(also we got internet at this time). A major turning point is when my mom found jjjlonghair's page and I was like oh wow I think I can do this(becoming a long hair community lurker).
    Now it's been 10 years-ish and I have reached calf-length never colored hair with a couple of major trims with the goal to reach ankle length. This past year I started a thing where I try a new hairstyle once a week thanks to youtubers' with classical or beyond length then post a picture to my Instagram. So far I'm enjoying it.

I'm new here and I'm so glad to have support!
    When I was born I was bald as an onion, but eventually my hair grew out and by the time I was 5 it was almost waist length. But I was jealous of my little sister's red hair and the attention she got for it, (hers was almost as long) so I cut her hair, then knowing I would be in a lot of trouble I cut my hair.(mom was really, really mad!!) By the time I was 13 my hair was just past my knees, however the water that came from our well was so full of iron and chemicals (from the cash crop fields nearby) it ruined my hair so when I was 14 (after we moved) it was cut just longer than shoulder length. As my hair grew in you could see where my new hair ended and my old hair began (sorry no pictures) so my remains old hair was cut and now I'm for as long as I can stand. My hair is very heavy (large hair shafts and thick). My hair is currently about waist length now.
    I contemplated cutting it for a while because I found it was getting more and more complicated, but my friends and family told me not to and I've learned to love my gorgeous shining brown hair again and want to grow it at least as long as I've had it in the past.

Length
    MTL/61/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by monkeelover15 View Post
    Here's my story. I always has longish hair (midback range)growing up until I went through a phase where I wanted it shoulder length and layered...my go to was a pony tail. My grandmother had always taken me to get my hair cut and then for some reason we forgot about it. So then my hair kept getting longer to my delight. I started to get compliments on my pretty long hair and I enjoyed having something to be proud of.
    My mom always wanted to play with my hair when I was younger and I wouldn't let her. She even had ordered the hair origami set with the VHS and sadly I only let her use it a couple of times. This drove my mother crazy that I wouldn't do anything special with my hair because a braid is not special enough for her. What she would like me to wear is those 1960's elaborate hairstyles with a ton of hairspray which that takes forever to do and remove.
    Once my hair got to classical then I started trying new things with my hair(also we got internet at this time). A major turning point is when my mom found jjjlonghair's page and I was like oh wow I think I can do this(becoming a long hair community lurker).
    Now it's been 10 years-ish and I have reached calf-length never colored hair with a couple of major trims with the goal to reach ankle length. This past year I started a thing where I try a new hairstyle once a week thanks to youtubers' with classical or beyond length then post a picture to my Instagram. So far I'm enjoying it.
    JJJ is addicting. You should join us at the knee and beyond thread! We are both heading towards ankle btw.