My hair has been changing a lot lately. Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's hormones, but it is a lot smoother and sleeker (hooray) and straighter (hmmm) with ends that don't look good, at ALL. This new smoothness has been enabling me to try new updos (though they are still not as nice looking as most on here, due to severe scalp cleavage), but it isn't permitting me to wear my hair down anymore. Also, most of my length is flat and smooth, with the ends sort of bumpy, instead of the nice spiral waves I used to have.

This could, in part, be the result of more brushing and oiling. Apart from my ends, my hair does seem to LIKE brushing and oiling, as long as I wash very, very thoroughly (shampoo and no conditioner) the next day.

Added to this, I have a lot of baby hairs coming in - a LOT. If my hair is clean, I look like the wolf woman! So I'm a solid ii at the crown, tapering down to less than i at the ends. I love my new growth, especially the silvers, but am a bit at a loss as to what to do with my hair, as it's even more unruly now.

Since coming to LHC I've been trimming, and trimming, and trimming, and have gone from shoulder to BSL in the two plus years I've been here. I really, really want blunt ends. I'm thinking if i cut ALL the taper off, I'd be at chin-to-shoulder length - a terrible and unflattering length on me. But if I keep trimming as I have been, it will take forever before I have a blunt hemline, and - if I understand hair genetics right - I may never have blunt, thick ends.

Should I cut? Should I go buy a heavy duty sulfate shampoo (I don't have any SLS or SAS shampoos in my entire collection; I checked) and just wash the heck out of my hair so it stops being flat-then-greasy? My non SLS shampoos aren't cutting it anymore. Should I go to a salon? Just suck it up and wear pinned up braids or ponytails or French twists for the next while? I still can't manage many updos, because of hairtype, cowlick, and lack of skill.

I'm feeling a bit dumpy because of my pregnant belly and greasy hair and don't want to have even WORSE hair when I go through the inevitable (is it inevitable?) postpartum hair loss. So maybe cutting it as blunt as I can get it would mean I start from a better starting point when I try to grow my hair back? Going from the assumption here that having a baby means I will shed even more, even though I'm shedding fairly normally now.

I'm washing more but still oiling and using conditioner, and my virgin hair feels great, but the ends are really quite nasty after day 2. Tomorrow I'll go swimming again and have to wash and blowdry, so maybe I'll then have hair I am happy with and can wear down...

or should I just surrender to the scissors and cut off the worst 3-4 inches?

help?