Thread: Hair Trimming Video

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Hair Trimming Video

Hello!

I could find anywhere that this had been previously shared, but I've found this to be an interesting and informative video as I've journeyed away from having damaged hair to starting to bring it back to its full thickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ixwCfku3fY

The man in the video demonstrates how it can be beneficial to trim in many many sections of really small quantities of hair rather than only a few big ones. I think it can be really helpful for people who may be coming from a history of damage, or anyone really, because he shows how you can get a bit more thickness back into hair by trimming hairs on the head that often neglect to be cut, and that therefore consistently break and remain at less than their full potential of length.

I've personally enjoyed doing this to help hair around the nape of my neck grow in a bit thicker (i.e. by blunting up the hemline) and I think its a fairly novel idea. I definitely don't think its something you'd need to do often but could be something to incorporate into trims nonetheless.

I also really quite like this video too, I've found this almost as informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFelggOv948

Length
    birth/Knee/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Hair Trimming Video

I could never cut my hair like this,I wish.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    0.5/6.5/WL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Jeepers, I had to pause in disbelief after he said he sections the hair about 42 times, I'd rather have damaged hair haha. But that's just as someone with 0 patience, idk anyone who would have the patience to do this to my hair either. Very interesting!
    No trim dreams '18 shattered, I've been bested by my mullet; No dye until 2020.

Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Doesn't look like something you can do easily at home.

I prefer my layered cut (compact cut) with the ponytail on the forehead. One snip and you're done.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Funny, I actually thought of this subject myself just a few days ago, and I'm going to request something like this (not 42 sections though!) from my hairdresser on my next appointment. I think this could be beneficial for me maybe twice a year.
    Never kneel down to the holy cross
    Never bow down to their lord.
    New goal: Classic by Yule/Christmas 2020

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    43/??/24
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's interesting that he refers to the cut hairs as "sealed" because there's also an opinion floating around out there that cutting a hair makes it vulnerable to damage because it exposes the inner layers. Theoretically, an uncut hair is stronger.

I remember giving my sister-in-law a trim years ago, and her bottom-most layer was much shorter and much more damaged than the hair over it.

Atop a big island, just a kangaroo's mighty leap south of the equator.
    Length
    24/42/~47
    Type
    2c/F/iii

**I'm coming at this as someone who's been cutting other people's hair for many decades, so feel free to ignore me**

Going by the first video, I think he's referring to taking the hair back to where the strand is at its most uniform/thickest (compared to splits, breaks and all) as "sealed", but really, they're not sealed (unless he's meaning the flat/blunt scissor angle, compared to angling against the strand that creates a longer "wound"). He is indeed opening up the cortex to damage (until it heals, which I'm guessing doesn't take too long?), but at the same time he's removing what contributes to weakness and breakage. Blunt cutting a strand will always create less damage to that strand than angling.

As for this method, he's still using his initial cut as his guideline, so I'm kinda scratching my head as to the value of bringing the rest of the hair down in such small amounts where they're still being trimmed to his (underlying) guideline (and really, the amount that's sectioned, or re-sectioned often depends on how dense the hair is anyway--sectioning suggestions here). For blending, you usually trim the sides like that (or what can be), so again...??? Honestly, if you cut back to the healthiest spots of the most damaged length of any one section, you may/will loose a lot of hair and end up much shorter than you envisioned when you go to blend it all.

**yeah, see, I rambled through my thought process while saying and contributing nothing**

Ignore me!!

Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~Onwards and downwards, through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~
    APL ** BSL** MBL ** WL ** HL ** BCL ** TBL * WRIST * PALM CL ** FTL...

Length
    28MBL/36BCL/Term
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think I’m going to send this to my stylist to see what she thinks of it. I also have a drastically shorter layer of hair on the very bottom. I always chalked this up to being intermediate hairs with shorter terminal length than the rest of my hair, but maybe it’s not just that. Very interesting video.
    Lady Arimed, Battle-Healer of the Well of Sláine in the Order of the Long Haired Knights