Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

  1. #1

    Default Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Hey

    I posted on here about five months ago asking about my scalp irritation thinking it was SD and Shorty89 asked if it was possible that it was eczema and I later found out from a doctor that it was. I did get prescribed a medicated shampoo, and when that did not help too much I got a medicated oil.... also not really helpful, in fact I hate oil, anytime I have tried to do oiling my scalp feels disgusting and irritated. The medicated shampoo isn't useless like the oil is, when my scalp is really irritated, sore, itchy... it helps make that less severe but I still have irritation and scabbing(?). I am not supposed to use the medicated shampoo every day and I hate using it since it is so stripping and I die inside everytime I have to put my hair through that. I try to avoid it and use my cowash, but I am still searching for my perfect product.

    In the process of finding products though, I did learn that argan oil helps soothe my scalp. I use an argan oil cowash but it has hydrolized keratin in it and I want something with no protein I would love recommendations of something more natural minus the protein, and I have not tried anything with jojoba oil yet but have always wanted to so recommendations with jojoba oil would be great too. So far I have found that tea tree oil, coconut oil, olive oil, peppermint oil, and almond oil all irritate my scalp. Argan oil has been the first one I have found that helps and does not make things worse. I have not tried any other oil outside the one's I listed.

    TL;DR I need cowash/conditioner recommendations that are protein free and have either argan oil or jojoba oil in them. I also would love if anyone has recommendations on dealing with scalp eczema. Thank you!
    Last edited by kmmkatey; December 6th, 2018 at 05:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Member lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    44,707
    Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    I don't know if it fits the bill, you'd have to check the ingredients out for yourself, but from the top of my head, "they say" the As-I-Am co-washes are really nice. I think they do 2 different ones by now.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Pantene has a cowash that has argan oil in it. Don't know if it's available where you are. I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot.

    Aussie conditioners have jojoba oil in them. No protein either.
    Last edited by chiapommama; December 6th, 2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added recommendation.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Quote Originally Posted by chiapommama View Post
    Pantene has a cowash that has argan oil in it. Don't know if it's available where you are. I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot.

    Aussie conditioners have jojoba oil in them. No protein either.
    Thank you! I looked up the Aussie conditioners and it seems they all have coconut oil combined with the jojoba and coconut oil doesn't really work well for me. The pantene cowash looks really good though, I think I will try that

  5. #5

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I don't know if it fits the bill, you'd have to check the ingredients out for yourself, but from the top of my head, "they say" the As-I-Am co-washes are really nice. I think they do 2 different ones by now.
    They look good but both cowashes seem to have oils that react badly on my scalp By the way, do you know how jojoba is compared to other oils? If you could pick an oil that it is most similar to

  6. #6
    Prairie Pintsize Shorty89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,077
    Length
    29"/TB/CLSC
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Do I get a prize for being right I've been suffering a bad flare so my scalp is super tender. I actually tried something new. I was having an oatmeal bath to soothe my skin and decide to soak my scalp in it too. It made my hair a bit gross but it really helped soothe my scalp. maybe do that (I'd keep the length out of the water. It made mine tacky). I use AVC dabbed or spritzed on the irritated areas. If things are really dry, I try to put some coconut oil on the flaking bits. It makes my hair look greasier but it helps. I think an oil on the scalp could be helpful or CO. It's mostly about moisture with eczema. Have you tried pimicrolimus cream? That's what I have for my skin when things get really bad. It's hard to apply on the scalp though. Maybe use the oil (medicated or otherwise) 24 to 48 hours before a CO wash? That should give it enough time to help before you remove it. I don't know if I have any conditioner recommendations. I use Down Under Naturals which is a Canadian brand.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

  7. #7
    Member Alibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Spain
    Age
    45
    Posts
    481
    Length
    Pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    3b/C/iii

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    I don't have any specific recommendations either, but you could find a conditioner and/or cowash that you like without argan oil, and add a couple of drops of argan oil (or more, if needed) when it's in your hand.

    Another idea would be to find a company that supplies ingredients for natural hair care products and make your own gentle shampoo and conditioner from a 'base'. That gives you the option to eliminate or add ingredients to suit your scalp. (I've only suffered from scalp eczema once, and thankfully, it cleared up quickly on its own, but I have suffered from eczema on other parts of my body on and off over the years, and I've always found gentle cleansing products and light moisturising products are best.)

  8. #8
    Member lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    44,707
    Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Quote Originally Posted by kmmkatey View Post
    They look good but both cowashes seem to have oils that react badly on my scalp By the way, do you know how jojoba is compared to other oils? If you could pick an oil that it is most similar to
    Here's more info on oils:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...coat-hair.html
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    Do I get a prize for being right I've been suffering a bad flare so my scalp is super tender. I actually tried something new. I was having an oatmeal bath to soothe my skin and decide to soak my scalp in it too. It made my hair a bit gross but it really helped soothe my scalp. maybe do that (I'd keep the length out of the water. It made mine tacky). I use AVC dabbed or spritzed on the irritated areas. If things are really dry, I try to put some coconut oil on the flaking bits. It makes my hair look greasier but it helps. I think an oil on the scalp could be helpful or CO. It's mostly about moisture with eczema. Have you tried pimicrolimus cream? That's what I have for my skin when things get really bad. It's hard to apply on the scalp though. Maybe use the oil (medicated or otherwise) 24 to 48 hours before a CO wash? That should give it enough time to help before you remove it. I don't know if I have any conditioner recommendations. I use Down Under Naturals which is a Canadian brand.
    Haha, will you accept a high-five? I have been suffering pretty bad too the last few months. I wish I could use coconut oil but it just makes my scalp so much worse. I currently have the medicated oil soaking on my scalp again but the last two times I used it there was not really any benefit... my scalp just felt grimey :/ I haven't tried pimicrolimus cream, the creams I have used are ciclopirox alamine and salicylic acid. My medicated shampoo is ketoconazole and my medicated oil is fluocinolone acetonide... Nothing really helps, the shampoo does help if I have scratched my scalp a lot and it hurts. I am too afraid to ever use shampoo again because no matter what shampoo I tried I had such bad reactions so that is another problem with oiling... I don't know how to get it all out. I refuse to use a shampoo other than my medicated shampoo and it doesn't help remove the oil too effectively. After I use that I use my cowash but my hair still feels disgusting. Do you know any way I can remove the oil without shampoo?

  10. #10
    Member lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    44,707
    Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Protein free cowash/conditioner recommendations? (argan or jojoba oil preferred)

    Quote Originally Posted by kmmkatey View Post
    Haha, will you accept a high-five? I have been suffering pretty bad too the last few months. I wish I could use coconut oil but it just makes my scalp so much worse. I currently have the medicated oil soaking on my scalp again but the last two times I used it there was not really any benefit... my scalp just felt grimey :/ I haven't tried pimicrolimus cream, the creams I have used are ciclopirox alamine and salicylic acid. My medicated shampoo is ketoconazole and my medicated oil is fluocinolone acetonide... Nothing really helps, the shampoo does help if I have scratched my scalp a lot and it hurts. I am too afraid to ever use shampoo again because no matter what shampoo I tried I had such bad reactions so that is another problem with oiling... I don't know how to get it all out. I refuse to use a shampoo other than my medicated shampoo and it doesn't help remove the oil too effectively. After I use that I use my cowash but my hair still feels disgusting. Do you know any way I can remove the oil without shampoo?
    If you have a condition that requires the use of ketaconazole (fungus), I would stop oiling the scalp. Oil is what fungus thrives on, be it your own oil or oil you add.

    I have SD, and use Nizoral 2% (ketoconazole) shampoo when I have strong bouts of it, and I never ever use oil on my scalp!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •