Thread: Dollar Store Treasures and Horrors

Length
    15/32/55
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Default Dollar Store Treasures and Horrors

Please everyone, tell me all of your experiences with cheap hair products from the dollar stores around the universe, I want to know!

Being a bargain shopper I tend to hit the dollar stores for certain items. I recently got SOOOO excited when I found hair sticks, clips, ect. for sale at a Dollar King. But this is by no means the first thing I've gotten... I've accumulated a lot of hair stuff from dollar stores over the years. I even actively use leave in conditioner and other products from the dollar tree.

I will proceed, over time, to take pictures of different items I've gotten and write about how good (or bad) the item was, and I invite you to write about your experiences, too! ^-^

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee!/Knee+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Dollar Store Treasures and Horrors

Almost my entire stash of conditioners is from cheapie shops - Poundland, Poundworld, Savers. (The rest of the conditioners, blacked out, are drugstore own-brands but still only 1 or less!)

Conditioners

I haven't bought any hair accessories from these places though; their offerings extend to colourful elastics or clips, neither of which I use.

Oh, conditioner experiences: generally great! The top left-hand conditioner in the black bottle is my current HG. These are all protein-free, and all but 2 are silicone-free (my HG has PEG-?-dimethicone, and one has amodimethicone which my hair didn't really like).
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! A tiny trim in January, then onto Calf!
    A girl can dream

Length
    CBL/WL+/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I got some hair elastics from there that were pretty awful. I honestly should have known better haha. Dollar General has a few Shea Moisture products, in small sizes, so I like to go there if I want to try a certain product.
    CBL → APL → BSL→ MBL → WL+
    ⋆Natural blonette growing to virgin hip⋆

Length
    baby/bcl/dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Dollar Tree elastics are indeed lame; I'm lucky if I can get two uses out of them before they break. And I only use them for braid ends, it seems they should hold out longer than that...

I found spin pins at Dollar Tree, it was so exciting! Unfortunately I only got three pairs, thinking "if I like these, I'll get some more"... so now my only regret is that I didn't buy them all. I've never seen them there since .

My sister and I each had one of those folding hairbrushes with a mirror in it. Mine broke the first or second time I used it, my sister's broke just recently.

My mom got me some foam rollers from there; I haven't gotten them to work (well, once they worked on one side), but I think that's just because if I dampen my hair and roll it up, it will never dry, so the curls will never set.

The hand-held mirror I got there worked great until one of the kids broke it, so I got another one and have no complaints; it's great for seeing if my bun is centered .
    Lady Kulisa, Speaker of the Mystic Tongues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    ~ Make your own bead-topped hair sticks! ~

Length
    Pixie/15"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I got a tangle tease knock off a couple years back. Liked it so much I went back and bought them all. They last about 6 months before the bristles start to give out.
    My mom and dd use them and its the only brush my dog will allow me to use on him.

I've since switched to a wet brush but I still have a few of the cheapies floating around.
    Stay calm and waffle on

Length
    13/32/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've found some decent scrunchies in Dollar Tree. They are lighter than the more expensive ones, but that makes them good for stashing in purse or pocket. I don't even look at their plastic hair stuff, even though my hair is not thick they would not hold a thing. I once bought a hairband that's metal, but it was so rough textured it was pulling my hair all the time. I tossed it after suffering it for a week (I was on vacation and didn't have a lot of choice.).

Oh I just remembered their shower caps are pretty good, too. At least not any worse than those free ones at hotels.

Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I got a tangle tease knock off a couple years back. Liked it so much I went back and bought them all. They last about 6 months before the bristles start to give out.
    My mom and dd use them and its the only brush my dog will allow me to use on him.

I've since switched to a wet brush but I still have a few of the cheapies floating around.
    I got my knock-offs at Aldi & Lidl. I think I paid 3.99 for them.

And my wet brush knock-off is a sure winner, at Action discount store for 1.49 euro and it is an *awesome* brush! Wish I had gotten more!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/WST/W-H
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Sometimes I see the boxes of hair color there and just shudder, lol.

I don't really buy hair stuff there. They have V05 but it's actually cheaper at Walmart or the grocery store (like $0.80). I've bought bobby pins and conditioner there in the past, but haven't in a long time.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Yes! I love cheap dollar store scrunchies

Length
    MBL/Bcl/Class
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet_Heart View Post
    Sometimes I see the boxes of hair color there and just shudder, lol.

I don't really buy hair stuff there. They have V05 but it's actually cheaper at Walmart or the grocery store (like $0.80). I've bought bobby pins and conditioner there in the past, but haven't in a long time.
    Yep, our dollar store definitely charges more for hair products than Walmart.