Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm new and I have a question about HONEY LIGHTENING! :)

Default Re: I'm new and I have a question about HONEY LIGHTENING! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    This explains my huge confusion I was like "I'm pretty sure Lady Stardust has been here?" but then the join date was November...
    It’s even confusing me, I was pretty sure that I hadn’t started a thread about honey Great minds...

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Here we are I pull together a lot of research from various honey lightening sources when I wrote this:

Hydrogen Peroxide
    Since hair is protein-based, hydrogen peroxide attacks melanin and the structure of hair in equal measures. Hydrogen peroxide also can damage lipids on the surface of the hair,
    resulting in dryness. A 6% peroxide solution is often required, but lower amounts of 3% will produce lightening effects over time. Even lower percentages of naturally occurring
    peroxide, such as those found in cinnamon, honey, or olive oil, can lighten hair in very small increments given enough applications. These small amounts, however, may not
    impact very dark or very resistant hair at all.

Peroxide solutions must be activated by increasing the pH because peroxide is not very reactive below a pH of 4. Typically in salon treatments, peroxide is mixed with ammonia
    because it has a very high pH. What this means is that acidic compounds (with low pH), such as lemon juice and pH balanced hair conditioners should not be used with any
    natural peroxide treatment as it actually works in counter to the pH needed for the peroxide to be most effective. By that same measure, minerals in tap or filtered water
    can alter the pH of the water potential lightening properties. When creating lightening recipes that employ peroxide, always used distilled water.

Last edited by Nightshade; November 28th, 2018 at 09:51 PM.

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Wow, thanks for the replies, everyone!

And thank you, Nightshade, for posting that excerpt. I realize now that I was doing it a little bit wrong (all the while thinking I was doing it perfectly... Ain't that just the way?). I'll keep experimenting with lightening and glossing and see what happens.

Oh, also, has anyone ever tried doing a balayage using honey and cinnamon? I love that look but it's always felt off-limits due to the damage factor. Since honey lightening doesn't damage, I'm suddenly hopeful...

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Be careful with the cinnamon. some people find it burns.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I was just going to mention- it can be pretty painful if it gets your scalp. It caused some serious discomfort for me when I've done honey lightening before, lol.
    If I remember right, another herb that can be used is cardamom. It smells nice.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I do remember another member here reporting significant damage from honey lightening.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I do remember another member here reporting significant damage from honey lightening.
    That was Phal. And it's very possible, it is peroxide, after all, just lower concentrations than commercial products use.

Length
    20/32/45
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I've always wondered if honey and cinnamon worked for lightening. Might have to try this myself! And welcome.