Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair type - no idea...

Length
    buzz/CL/BSL

Question Hair type - no idea...

I have been wondering about my hair type for a while since it has waves when I let it air dry but it quickly straightens out and gets flat.

I use gentle (children's) shampoo mostly and a cheapo hair mask from the beauty store. I don't blow dry and I haven't trimmed in a year.

Took pics without oiling my hair --- those are more accurate than what's below: 1 2

Most accurate pics of my hair (Click me!!) I accidentally over-oiled for those pics; I found some old Ikarov's hair stimulant and went crazy with it. Whoops.

I suppose the texture is 1b?? It's very soft and loses texture quite easily (e.g. when I put too much conditioner in it, lay down on it, it's windy outside) but curls right up when the air is humid.

The pics in the hairtyping guide are blurred and watermarked with the photobucket logo so I can't really check in with the that.

I have noooo idea. Please help me out?

I apologize in advance if this isn't the place to post about this; I found some threads about hairtyping help, so I posted here as well.

ETA: I stopped brushing my hair last month.
    Last edited by Eve-Jade-Day; January 6th, 2020 at 02:14 PM.
    No-trim 2019 complete!
    1 - 2 -3 -4 - 5 - 6

Length
    0"/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Hair type - no idea...

I think your hair might be more like a 2b or 2c but I'm not excellent at hair typing.
    We are all blind apes groping different parts of the same bewildered elephant.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Eve-Jade-Day View Post
    I have been wondering about my hair type for a while since it has waves when I let it air dry but it quickly straightens out and gets flat.

I use gentle (children's) shampoo mostly and a cheapo hair mask from the beauty store. I don't blow dry and I haven't trimmed in a year.

Most accurate pics of my hair (Click me!!) I accidentally over-oiled for those pics; I found some old Ikarov's hair stimulant and went crazy with it. Whoops.

I suppose the texture is 1b?? It's very soft and loses texture quite easily (e.g. when I put too much conditioner in it, lay down on it, it's windy outside) but curls right up when the air is humid.

The pics in the hairtyping guide are blurred and watermarked with the photobucket logo so I can't really check in with the that.

I have noooo idea. Please help me out?

I apologize in advance if this isn't the place to post about this; I found some threads about hairtyping help, so I posted here as well.
    If that picture's your hair with oil in it: you can't use it for hair typing.

There is a hairtyping guide on the forum on how to proceed. You just wash/condition, gently wring out, pat dry with a towel and let it dry without combing, brushing or otherwise touching it. No styling products either!!!

From the picture that's presented to me now I would say 1c, but I have seen pictures in your album that would rather say 2a.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    pixie/FTL+/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I agree with jane_marie from what we can see here. A true hair-typing picture has to be one with whatever your usual wash routine is, and only air drying without touching. Extra oiling may have affected your results.

Also, layered hair at this length often isn't enough yet for definitive hair-typing. But it certainly isn't in the 1s range.

Length
    buzz/CL/BSL

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    There is a hairtyping guide on the forum on how to proceed. You just wash/condition, gently wring out, pat dry with a towel and let it dry without combing, brushing or otherwise touching it. No styling products either!!!

From the picture that's presented to me now I would say 1c, but I have seen pictures in your album that would rather say 2a.
    Oh cool! Just washed my hair, going to update the album tonight and link the picture. The pics where it looks more like 2a may be the result of sleeping with my hair up (like my profile picture). My hair didn't look too different from what it does in the linked pictures before oiling; it just got more stringy and separated. The wave pattern remained the same.

Anyway... now I'm giddy about being "wavier than I thought" and am definitely going to take a new pic after I wash out my hair mask!
    No-trim 2019 complete!
    1 - 2 -3 -4 - 5 - 6

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Eve-Jade-Day View Post
    Oh cool! Just washed my hair, going to update the album tonight and link the picture. The pics where it looks more like 2a may be the result of sleeping with my hair up (like my profile picture). My hair didn't look too different from what it does in the linked pictures before oiling; it just got more stringy and separated. The wave pattern remained the same.

Anyway... now I'm giddy about being "wavier than I thought" and am definitely going to take a new pic after I wash out my hair mask!

Also, it may be a little "too soon" to hairtype. Typically when you are bordering the wavy spectrum, the longer it gets the more pronounced the waves get; so... Be prepared to do it again sometime.

Also use a light conditioner, not a heavy mask, but it just says wash/condition (is allowed), so I don't know where a mask fits in there.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/Tbl/Class
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I think it's definitely 2 something. Looks like there's little ringlet formation going on but your hair is maybe a bit too short. In the picture 2 of 31, I can see some baby ringlets there.
    Last edited by Panthera; January 6th, 2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Let it grow, let it grow, don't cut or fry it anymore,
    Let it grow, let it grow, turn away from silicones
    ...clogged drains never bothered me anyway.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Absolutely no way is it in the 1s! I'll wait for the accurate hairtyping pics but 1 hair doesn't do any of that even with styling (scrunching / products I mean).

Don't worry about having used a hair mask, considering many of us use them as regular conditioner anyway. The really important thing is not doing anything to it afterwards while it's drying - no finger combing, scrunching, fluffing, etc.

Edit: and yes, whatever the result, it will be worth redoing with more length as well

Edit 2: I find myself saying this quite often now, but for hairtyping what matters is how it dries by itself. What happens beyond 'freshly washed' doesn't matter - even some people with 3a/F hair end up with it looking only slightly wavy the next day after the texture falls out, but that doesn't change how their hair naturally dries, and therefore doesn't affect their hair type.
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; January 6th, 2020 at 11:52 AM.
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    APL/APL/HL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

You're in the 2s and I love your curls and layers right now. Looks awesome.

From the pictures, I'm going to say 2a. The coils almost made me want to say 2c/3a at first but it's hard to tell.
    ~BraidedBunch

Length
    buzz/CL/BSL

Updated original post with non-oiled pics. Sorry for the lightning, hope it's good enough... It's 10 PM
    No-trim 2019 complete!
    1 - 2 -3 -4 - 5 - 6