Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

Default I wrecked my scalp

I had a protective style done recently (posted pictures on the Kinky 4s thread). However, it seems that the stylist had put too much tension on the style. I ended up lasting 2 days in the style and removed it. The problem is my scalp constantly hurts now, it seems like I was starting to develop scalp sores from the excessive tension and nothing I do seems to help. I have done scalp massages using grapeseed oil, and a shea butter mix containing grapeseed and castor oil but nothing seems to help. My scalp hurts so much I can barely comb my hair to keep it contained for work. What else can I do to soothe it? I have plenty of time over the weekend to dedicate to my hair.
    fade -> EL->NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL (stretched goals)

Cut off locs and restarting hair journey

Default Re: I wrecked my scalp

Have you tried to ice your scalp?

The amount of tension you're describing is damaging and can cause traction alopecia. The stylist should be ashamed. Nothing protective about damaging peoples hair follicles. Good think you removed it, may very well have saved your follicles.

I hope you feel better soon. Maybe use another stylist known for being more gentle if you decide to go for it again?
    Hair thickness:6.2 cm (2.4'') Longest: TBL + Current length: APL (maintaining) Goal length: Waist

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Nothing is "protective" about these tension "do's" at all. Wish you would have removed it straight away, or had gone back to her to get your money back. But... oh well, the good thing is: you took it out!

I would give it a wash. Nice warm water, a little massaging action takes care of whatever aches I have on my scalp; it might not ease it all, but it might help alleviate the issue somewhat.

Good luck to you!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I second lapushka's advice, give it a nice wash. I have sensitive hair follicles, and whenever something starts to hurt because of a tight style, I have to either wash or spray some water on ,y scalp. For some reason it's the water that works for me, massages aren't as effective. I've never dealt with such an extreme case of follicle pain though, but it's the best thing I can suggest. Good luck!
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yep, the warm water does it a world of good (not hot, just nice and cozy warm).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

I agree with a nice wash. When I had tension like that in the past, I wouldn't put anything thick like castor oil or shea butter on my scalp. I'm not very sciencey, but I felt anything thick would clog my follicles, and any part of your skin needs oxygen to breathe when healing. I liked to take a spray bottle of water, put in a few drops of tea tree or peppermint, and spray that on my scalp. It kept it clean and was very soothing. Just make sure you have a high watereppermint/tea tree ratio, too much of an essential oil could make things worse.

Try not to touch it too much after washing gently and using a spritz. I know it's irritating, but the more time and air you give it, the better it will heal.

This is part of the reason I stopped going to hair braiders. They don't care about the health of your hair, just want the style to look good and last long. When prioritizing these things, they definitely won't prioritize hair and scalp health.

ETA: Just remembered, what I did above was what I did when I had braids done. They say not to wash your hair after braids, but I would immediately go home and put a warm wet rag against my scalp to clean it, then the thing with water/peppermint or I'd water/diluted conditioner with peppermint such as trader joe's tea tree tingle, but in your case I'd suggest just water, maybe a little bit of oil in that too. In hindsight I should have also removed them since they could have caused damage, so I'm glad you did!
    Last edited by blackgothicdoll; November 16th, 2018 at 08:28 AM.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I would try putting some nice warm water on it and some very gentle massage, and see how that works for you. That stylist should have known way, way better that that! Does she want bald clients?
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I am another who recommends a warm wash, perhaps a relaxing bath and a wash after that if you have a bathtub.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    MBL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Look at this girl and a tension damage. She had extensions but tension is tension. These stylist need to be so careful

Save your hair vitamin money and put into a retirement fund. That's growth.

Don't Stall On Me Now!
    Length
    Pixie/Hip/Clssc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by *Wednesday* View Post
    Look at this girl and a tension damage. She had extensions but tension is tension. These stylist need to be so careful

Oh my... that poor girl! I'm so glad that she hasn't let that bad experience define who she is. She's gorgeous.