Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sodium + citric acid = carcinogen?

Length
    Neck/CBL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Sodium + citric acid = carcinogen?

Thanks guys for your replies!

I guess that I should stop being so paranoid about chemicals in hair products, after all, we humans are made up of chemicals I'll use up this bottle and probably buy another one if my hair likes it
    Last edited by guska; November 11th, 2018 at 05:18 AM.
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32426&d=1529747049
    In a constant battle with my hair Hair loss sufferer
    Neck --- SL --- CBL --- APL --- BSL --- MBL --- WL --- HL --- TBL

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Each person genetics are determined if he is gonna get cancer or not. In simple words, this 'determine', becomes 'programmed'. Absolutely no matter if we use everyday products either for food, hair products, body products(which actually our skin absorb the cream into the blood, which i cant say its good), which all these products may be carcinogens, doesnt mean you'll get cancer. Your body/blood will <<decide>> if the cancer will occure. To be honest, by saying 'carcinogens' means that they MAY increase the POSSIBILITY to get cancer, but IT DOESNT MEAN IT WILL. Thats why there are healthy smokers who live up to 80-90. Its beacause of the genetics. For example of a chemical, Ammonia is contained within hair dyes, right? Its a chemical, it may be even in cigarettes. Its wise to be aware of the ingredients when you shop for body products or hair products, having in your mind that you should shop in high/good quality shops if you're really a person who feels safe using products from actually good shops.
    within my own wisdom

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    That goes for a lot of products though, and if there are still people not developing cancer from "supposed" carcinogens, is the link proven? I think you either get cancer or you don't. I mean what about little babies and children that develop cancer, and they've hardly been exposed to bad things. That is my whole issue with these types of discussions.

But I don't want to derail the thread.
    Absolutely right!
    within my own wisdom

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/LTL/Knee+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Whenever I hear someone panic about ingredients in hair care being carcinogens, I remember the joke I heard a few years back:

100% of those who drank water died. Water kills people!

Your conditioner won't cause premature death unless you eat a bottle of it every day, but in this case death won't be caused by cancer. Said supposed carcinogen is contained there in miniscule amounts, and whatever manges to get through our skin into the bloodstream (if that's even possible) isn't gonna matter at all. You can get more carcinogens into your system by just walking outside on a busy day and breathing in exhaust gases from cars.
    Very well said! (The whole post, not just the part in bold )

This website is a perfect example of how language can be used to imply correlation and make harmless things sound terrifying: http://www.dhmo.org
    (Just for anyone who's not entirely sure, the key to understanding the website is that Dihydrogen Monoxide = H2O = water.)
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; November 11th, 2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Nearly-Knee by 'Nineteen / A Year-and-a-half to Calf?
    A girl can dream!

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I live in CA and Prop 65 ensures that almost everything even potentially dangerous is labeled "WARNING: This product (or area) contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." This warning is on all Chinese medicine from my acupuncturist. The signs are on gas stations, and parking garages. My gym even has this sign on its wall because of the old building it's in. I cannot go anywhere or buy anything without seeing that label on something.

I've read about the citric acid & sodium thing but I thought it was only dangerous if ingested. But also, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I did, I would never be able to leave my house here in CA!
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert