Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much oil do you put in your hair?

Default How much oil do you put in your hair?

The first few times that I oiled my hair I pretty much drowned my entire length in coconut oil, but I had to use so much shampoo to wash it out that it did not improve my hair very much. The last two weeks I've been putting around 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in my hair from my ears down and my hair just soakes it up in around 2 hours, I don't have to shampoo more than usually to clean my hair and it is so soft! I'm curious about your experiences

Default Re: How much oil do you put in your hair?

I was planning to do a poll with this but I can't figure out how to do that xD

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I don't know... Like maybe 5 or 6 drops? A couple times a week, maybe.

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

For a pre-poo I drown my hair in oil. I use around 40-50 ml of oil, pour it in a shot glass, put it in a bowl of hot water to warm it up and thoroughly saturate my hair. Yes, I bought a cheap shot glass specifically for oil treatments, lol. I do need more shampoo to wash it out, but it doesn't mean I lose the benefits of oil treatment. I shampoo only my roots and gently spread the suds down my lengths, and by the time I'm done with shampooing my hair my ends are still oily to touch (even when I use harsher shampoos), so everything is nicely nourished and protected from drying effects of sulfates.

After washing I use just a few drops of oil on my ends.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I haven't done it in a while then last week I tried again.
    Did an overnight oil treatment, then washed and conditioned like I normally would. It was an overkill for me. My hair dried limp, flat, and felt over conditioned.

I think my regular conditioner and leave-in are more than enough these days.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I rub it in my hands until they look noticeably oily then I spread it onto my hair. So probably like 5 drops of almond oil or a half teaspoon of coconut oil? I use them both. If I'm putting it on my scalp as well then I use more, of course, but it's the same ratio of oil to amount of hair.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yep I don't get the oversoaking in oil and then 3x washing it out. It's an operation that cancels each other out. You have to use oil just a bit so that it is still a little softer when you wash it out, but it will wash out. Then it serves its purpose.

And for rinse-out oil you also don't need a lot. When you are type 4 that can be a tad different, but for 1,2,3 types less is truly more.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I rarely do anything other than ROO (rinse out) but when I do pre-poo or a heavy oiling I'll use up to maybe a teaspoonful if it's a solid oil, or 2-3 if it's liquid.
    For an ordinary dry oiling that I want to soak in, I'll use enough for my palms to look shiny - not quite oily, but more than a sheen.
    For ROO I use a medium palmful, which usually leaves a slight ... I don't know how to describe it. The ends will slightly sort of slick together but it doesn't feel oily, and within a day or two just looks and feels like ordinary hair again but that keeps the ends happy and moisturised for at least a week, and the slight oiliness at the ends didn't bother me because my hair's always bunned anyway.
    If I want to oil just the ends (say, the tassel of a braid) I'll use a fingertip of oil and repeat if necessary until it stops rapidly soaking in.

Edit: if I do a really heavy pre-poo I'll usually use conditioner to get excess out (CWC) or if it's just an ordinarily heavy pre-poo I'll squidge the shampoo suds down the length and, if it's still feeling quite oily, let the shampoo sit for a few minutes before rinsing.
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; November 2nd, 2018 at 11:28 AM.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

I overly oil my hair for a pre poo treatment. I cap it and sleep with it that way (usually if not I let it soak in for at least 3 or 4 hours) then CWC it out. Conditioning then washing gets out all the excess oil and leaves my hair super soft and moisturized. For a leave in treatment, about 4 to 5 drops. I usually just rub my hands together so they are shiny and start at the underside in the back of my hair and then work towards the front so most of the oil has already been worked into my hair by the time I reach my bangs and such. If I am just applying to my ends, then I usually use one drop at a time.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I use about a quarter-sized amount of olive oil for my pre-wash oiling twice a week and use one drop of argan oil on my "length" (aha my hair is super short) after a wash.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert