Page 51 of 529 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I recently tried my Mellie's Mix again because my hair was getting really dark from multiple full-length hennas. So, after I did just a roots-only Dark Brown Rainbow henna to cover my gray roots, I immediately followed that up with my Mellie's Mix for approx. 1 hour (no lemon per Ktani!). Here's my before and after:

Before:

After:

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

mellie

Thank you for posting your new pictures.

Mellie's Mix does not have a honey booster in it. The mullein and Roman chamomile may contribute to the lightening but neither one has a peroxide value.

Yet, with its 4 to 1 liquid to honey dilution, the mix can still lighten multiple layers of henna and whatever other plant colours are in Rainbow Dark Brown Henna, because IMO, you got the maximum alfalfa honey peroxide value, in the 1 hour.

Your results this time are not as startling as your previous results - you did not have as many henna layers though, on your hair previously.

That does make a difference.

I can definitely see that your hair is lighter - on the areas where you did not do a fresh henna application - your length and ends.
    Last edited by ktani; May 6th, 2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: adjust text

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I´ve been in this last month or month and a half making honey treatments. I took a while to understand about the dilution but anyway it also took a while to see some real difference. I was also making the mistake of giving a apple vinegar rinse and that was giving me brassiness and so it seamed that my hair was dark and brassy (it was inicially a bit but not as much).
    My natural colour is a medium blonde that can go really light in the summer.
    Right now i have about 4 inches of virgin hair (growing since October 2007) and the rest of it is chemically dyed with a semi permanent colour.
    My goal was to take away as much of the brassy colour (the semi-permanent was a lot golden by itself) as well as make my roots combining better with the lenght
    Ktani is the one that has been helping me, we all now that.
    I have to thank her and also the LHC to make me believe that my colour would get better and that the best thing was to wait instead of running to the hairdresser
    This is the last results...
    My hair was washed from the day before and had a lemon rinse (that was a bit drying and with that i dont know if it helped the honey to get inside the hair cuticle).
    This was my mix:
    1 soap spoon of Honey
    5 soap spoon of VO5 Conditioner
    1 full desert spoon cinnamon or half soap spoon ?
    1 egg yolk

Left it in my hair for two hours and then washed my hair REALLY well, three times shampoo (Aubrey Organics) and a deep conditioning. I could see instantly the difference in my colour and brassiness after it started to dry (it was night already but i could see it) and today i confirmed it. My roots were more simillar to the rest of it and my hair was a bit lighter.
    Today i went to the beach so the second picture is after and i havent washed my hair yet so im sorry...messy messy hair.

Before:

After:

(i couldnt do any better picture than this last one because i had no batery)
    Last edited by brok3nwings; May 6th, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Default Honey thread

brokenwings

Thank you so much for posting your recipe and pictures.

Your hair is a lot lighter. That is what the 4 to 1 liquid to honey dilution + a honey booster like cinnamon can do - even on previously chemically dyed hair.

Your results are consistant with firebird's. Her hair was chemically lightened before she started honey lightening too - and you both used cinnamon in your latest mixes.

I had not realized that you had a golden semi-permanent colour on your hair as well as getting darker tones from the apple cider vinegar at one point.

The lemon juice rinse, used before the honey lightening treatment and rinsed out, I do not think had an effect on the honey and the hair cuticles but it would have made the conditioner go deeper into your hair to condition it, which is a good thing.

You can continue to do honey lightening as often as you wish.

I suggest that you do not continue doing the lemon rinses though. I do not think that you need them.

Your hair looks beautiful!

How is the condition of your hair now?
    Last edited by ktani; May 6th, 2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added text

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Ktani,
    thank you so much!
    Well yes i had a semi-permanent put in my hair in October, or should i call it an intensive toner? I could see a very diferent colour tone comparing to my natural colour (in my pictures). My natural colour is a golden one but not GOLD as it was with that semi...
    About the cider vinegar its not about having it darker but when the hair goes brassy it seams darker to me because its not "clean" (sorry again about the bad explanation)

Ktani i think that its not about the lemon itself but the fact that dry hair is more ansious for conditioning and it absorves everything you put in your hair, am i right or is this my imagination? But i only did the lemon rinse that time to try it out ehe

im missing so badly my jojoba oil! I went to Madeira and left it on Lisbon and i really can see the difference at my ends without it. I think that my hair goes dryer with the shampoo rotine (that i have to make with these treatments), i usually would use shampoo just about twice a week and i´ve been using it more and so i can feel a bit of dryness for that. But with the honey treatment i could feel i needed some oil but the conditioning was really good (for me two different things...oiling and conditioning)

Length
    20/29/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

brok3nwings, your hair looks much lighter! If you feel that your hair is dry after the honey and needs some oil, you could try adding a little oil to the honey mixture next time you do a treatment. EVOO is great as it also lightens When I do not use EVOO in my mixture, I often have to oil the ends, but when I do add it, I don't. Maybe this would help you next time?

Default Honey thread

Quote Originally Posted by brok3nwings View Post
    Ktani,
    thank you so much!
    Well yes i had a semi-permanent put in my hair in October, or should i call it an intensive toner? I could see a very diferent colour tone comparing to my natural colour (in my pictures). My natural colour is a golden one but not GOLD as it was with that semi...
    About the cider vinegar its not about having it darker but when the hair goes brassy it seams darker to me because its not "clean" (sorry again about the bad explanation)

Ktani i think that its not about the lemon itself but the fact that dry hair is more ansious for conditioning and it absorves everything you put in your hair, am i right or is this my imagination? But i only did the lemon rinse that time to try it out ehe

im missing so badly my jojoba oil! I went to Madeira and left it on Lisbon and i really can see the difference at my ends without it. I think that my hair goes dryer with the shampoo rotine (that i have to make with these treatments), i usually would use shampoo just about twice a week and i´ve been using it more and so i can feel a bit of dryness for that. But with the honey treatment i could feel i needed some oil but the conditioning was really good (for me two different things...oiling and conditioning)
    You are most welcome.

I am glad the the condition of your hair is good following the honey lightening.

You can try to do just a weak white vinegar rinse following the treatment - you do not have to do both a shampoo and a vinegar rinse afterward.

As to the lemon rinse result - the dryness can make the hair more porous - it depends on the hair.

If you want - you could do a separate lemon juice treatment -1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 3 tablespoons of conditioner - leave that on you hair for a while and just rinse it out. Do not add honey to that for lightening.

Honey and lemon juice do not play well together for lightening hair color.

I understand what you mean about oiling your ends.

I hope that you can get some jojoba oil soon.
    Last edited by ktani; May 6th, 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Honey thread

firebird

I did not see your post.

You are right - it is an excellent idea to add EVOO to brok3nwings's honey lightening recipe.

Doing that not only adds an extra booster, with cinnamon already in the mix but extra conditioning to the recipe as well.
    Last edited by ktani; May 6th, 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: adjust text

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

ktani but isnt it true that in the beginning of this thread it wasnt a good thing to use conditioners that contained too much oils? If that continues to be true why dont EVO interfer negatively to the lightening?

Default Honey thread

brok3nwings

That was and is true - it very much depends though on what oils.

Some conditioners have oil derivatives, extra silicone oils that are heavy and thickeners - including hydrogenated oils - oils that are in more of a solid form.

I know that extra oils along with extra waxy ingredients and film formers can interfere with honey lightening but it is difficult to pinpoint which oils and forms of oil specifically that can do that.

Recently, castor oil, often found in hair conditioners, has been reported elsewhere and suspected here, to darken hair colour.

In order for it to do that in a conditioner, there would have to be a lot of it present.

I think that it is much better to use a light conditioner and be in control of the amount of oil and the kind of oil that you want to add to the recipe. The less processed the oil the better, IMO.

EVOO and coconut oil are recommended because of their peroxide values - EVOO having the highest peroxide value among vegetable oils.

Both oils have the added bonus of being excellent conditioning oils and have been reported to work very well in honey lightening recipes with no problems.

EVOO has been recommended from the beginning of this thread.

Coconut oil is now recommended to replace coconut cream - it works just as well and is easier to find.

In both cases, I recommend not using too much oil.

It can be difficult to wash oil out of the hair, when you do that.
    Last edited by ktani; May 6th, 2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: clarification.