Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Week of Hair Shed.

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default One Week of Hair Shed.

The amount of "normal" shed hairs is always a big discussion here. I have seem many fresh members and even some regulars that become concerned about the amount of hair they lose daily or during wash day. Some times the worry is justified, but usually we seem to become aware of those sheds and it freaks us out a bit even though it is a normal amount.

I decided to track my sheds for one week which is my usual cycle since I only wash my hair every seven days. Now of course this is not thee normal amount everyone should shed. This is just my usual week. We also need to take genetics, length, cycle time ( how many times you wash your hair), etc into consideration because all of these will drastically change the visual appearance of the amount of sheds seen.

For one week, I brushed my hair once a day, collected those hairs into a ball and snapped a pic. The first photo is of days 1 and 2 post wash since I needed to keep my wave pattern for the first day. The last day was wash day, it is the result of prewash brushing, washing, detangling with conditioner, and combing again after getting out of the shower.

It may seem like a lot but this is very normal for me, some weeks it is less and others it is a little more but my circumference has always remained the same. Hopefully this will ease some minds to those that think they are losing too much.

Feel free to share your own results.
    ​You Zarkin Frood

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: One Week of Hair Shed.

OMG that is nothing. I shed 3x a palm full of hair on wash day alone, pre-wash detangling, during the wash, and after the wash. Comes out to about 3x a palm full. And then I shed Tuesday through Saturdays as well. Monday I don't lose hair (except maybe a few strands), due to it all having come out the Sunday/wash day.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

That looks like so little!

When I wash my hair I just shed probably half of that and sometimes double that. It used to be way, way more but after I began my diet for a condition I have my hair also improved..yay I guess! I don't brush my hair either as I am a wavy..and brushing leaves me like a poof ball

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Those are baby balls LOOOOOOOOOOL

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    17"/28/68"

This does make me feel better. I myself tend to forget everyone sheds. When I was on maintenance I always swept up at least one four foot strand of hair every night in the same area.

Length
    2"/BCL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I've noticed that my sheds seem to be so much bigger, but when I really look it's about the same as always just with longer hairs! That always makes me feel better

SL~~~CBL~~~APL~~~BSL~~~WL~~~Hip~~~BCL~~~TBL~~~Classic~~~FTL
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    I've noticed that my sheds seem to be so much bigger, but when I really look it's about the same as always just with longer hairs! That always makes me feel better
    The minor panic when I see the bundle of hair and then realise how much is one strand tangling onto itself.
    ​So...knee?

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Wow I get bigger ones and I’m just at MBL you are so lucky!

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

That doesn't look like much. My regular shed is similar. My major shed could have been compacted into about the size of a jumbo egg, maybe more...every day for ten weeks. It left my ponytail a half inch smaller in circumference. Now I am eating a paleo diet (high in healthy oils) for 5 months. I have lost 34 pounds and no hair loss, yippee! I am really thinking the oil is good for my hair. My hair does not grow the fastest but I feel so much better when it doesn't fall out like that.
    While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. ~~~ 30" 01/01/18~~~34" 01/01/2019~~~37" 01/01/2020

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think that is about my shed pattern, for the week, when I finger detangle, *but* I lose hair on wash day too and that is like 3 palms full of hair on top of the weekly shed because I can't get all the sheds out with fingers, it all comes out with the brush on Sunday during pre-wash detangling. Then there's the manipulation of a wash (again a tiny palm full) and then after the wash (more than a palm full), so it evens out to 3 palms full of hair.

At least my circumference stays the same, so I'm not worried; I think that is always the main thing. Shedding can be so different for different people, again YMMV.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)