Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Length for braided buns?

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Length for braided buns?

My favorite hair style of all times are braided buns. I can’t stress enough how much I love any kind of braid put into a bun, it’s just so elegant and magical at the same time.

The thing is: I can’t really do one with my hair. Once I braid it, I can only form one “loop” at most, and tucking the ends underneath is almost impossible, let alone holding it with a stick or fork.

So my question is, can you do a braided bun? at which length were you able to do a decent one? How do you secure it?

At my length (MBL) the only option I can think of are bobby pins, but it doesn’t look neat at all and they destroy my fine hair so it is not an option I’m afraid. I haven’t tried spin pins but my hair is quite fine, so the little loop I can make with a braid is very flat and as I said the ends can’t really be tucked in properly as I do with a regular bun.

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Length for braided buns?

I could do one around waist or hip, I'm not sure which. It depends a lot on your pony circumference (mine is 3.25"). You might try spin pins anyway, my hair is not especially thick and they don't show. I use a combination of short spin pins and Amish pins. At this length I can also do different braided buns with sticks/forks, like a braided LWB.

Just keep in mind that braiding effectively shortens the length you can work with, so you'll need to grow more before you're able to do the same styles braided that you can do unbraided. You might just need to wait for more length.

[Judging you in Spanish] Milady_DeWinter's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I'm starting to be able to do this style (braided LWB) at past Hip. I secure it with a fork or a flexi But I'm still not too comfy with it, I think I need way more lenght. But I've got very thick hair (5 1/8" of ponytail last time I measured it), so it's nornal I guess.

BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCLTBLWristClassic!FTL
    Thickness: 5 1/2" - 14cm | Length: 42" - 106,5cm
    My little braid thread

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I would say around waist or hip is when I was able to. I don't have much success with bobby pins these days so my preferred braided bun is a nautilus with a stick. It definitely has to do with your length-to-thickness ratio.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Aaah seems like I still have a long way ahead haha, thank you everyone I have a 3” circunference but as you said the length that is lost once hair is braided makes it impossible.

Length
    APL/APL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Im around waist, almost hip and i still cant do one. i expect when i hit TBL i will be able to.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    Im around waist, almost hip and i still cant do one. i expect when i hit TBL i will be able to.
    I think it depends on the person yes. I hope I can do one when I'm past hip as well, hope my taper isn't too bad by then though.

Length
    Class/waist/Class
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

At a shorter length, this braided bun looks really elaborate and holds up nicely with or without pins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnEBuIk9GuI

Length
    Pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    3b/C/iii

I think mine was TBL before I could do a braided bun. It's possible to do a half-up braided bun at shorter lengths, though, because the braid is thinner.

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Five of Five View Post
    At a shorter length, this braided bun looks really elaborate and holds up nicely with or without pins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnEBuIk9GuI
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibran View Post
    I think mine was TBL before I could do a braided bun. It's possible to do a half-up braided bun at shorter lengths, though, because the braid is thinner.
    Guys those are awesome ideas thank you!!! I'll definitely be trying them this week