Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should you use shampoo or conditioner that is over a year old?

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Should you use shampoo or conditioner that is over a year old?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Update: every conventional hair/toiletry product I've checked so far does have a symbol for shelf-life once opened, and batch/lot numbers, but no expiration dates on things like cleansers and hair products. Toothpaste and floss do have expiration dates though. Just in case anybody cared enough to want to know
    I guess different countries have different policies on expiration dates. Every single product I own has one, even nail polishes, and nail polishes are proven to be basically immortal. Things that don't expire, like cotton buds or toothbrushes, have either date of manufacturing or something like "unlimited shelf life" written on the packaging.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    Chin/FTL+/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Update: every conventional hair/toiletry product I've checked so far does have a symbol for shelf-life once opened, and batch/lot numbers, but no expiration dates on things like cleansers and hair products. Toothpaste and floss do have expiration dates though. Just in case anybody cared enough to want to know
    You don't want to know how old my stockpile of toothpaste is - and I still use it. I read somewhere it can keep for up to 2 years after the expiry date.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee/Calf+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    You don't want to know how old my stockpile of toothpaste is - and I still use it. I read somewhere it can keep for up to 2 years after the expiry date.
    Here we have 'Best before' dates and 'expiry/use by' dates; both are based on scientific analysis but the difference is one of safety. The best before dates are recommendations, and usually a kind of guarantee that the product will taste/function as intended up until that point. E.g. biscuits, after the best before date might be stale or whatever. Expiry dates are an indication of how long the product will be safe. Sometimes they're very conservative - e.g. I've always found yoghurt to be absolutely fine for some months after the date; other times they should be followed e.g. how long the nitrogen in the packaging for meat will inhibit bacterial growth. (Tbh I don't know enough about the science behind the dates on toothpaste/floss/etc to make an informed decision about that though. I have found in the past that older toothpaste has become a lot thicker in consistency and was difficult to use, so since then I've not kept too much of a stash anyway ) I guess hair products and similar toiletries are designed to be stable until they're opened and oxygen enters the container, which is where the shelf-life comes in.
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Tiny trim and now onto Calf!
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair - phew

Length
    20/23/30
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

a year doesn't sound old to me. If it looks, smells and feels good I would!

Length
    Chin/FTL+/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Here we have 'Best before' dates and 'expiry/use by' dates; both are based on scientific analysis but the difference is one of safety. The best before dates are recommendations, and usually a kind of guarantee that the product will taste/function as intended up until that point. E.g. biscuits, after the best before date might be stale or whatever. Expiry dates are an indication of how long the product will be safe. Sometimes they're very conservative - e.g. I've always found yoghurt to be absolutely fine for some months after the date; other times they should be followed e.g. how long the nitrogen in the packaging for meat will inhibit bacterial growth. (Tbh I don't know enough about the science behind the dates on toothpaste/floss/etc to make an informed decision about that though. I have found in the past that older toothpaste has become a lot thicker in consistency and was difficult to use, so since then I've not kept too much of a stash anyway ) I guess hair products and similar toiletries are designed to be stable until they're opened and oxygen enters the container, which is where the shelf-life comes in.
    My toothpaste is sealed, and that helps keep it "fresh", it hasn't changed consistency at all. As opposed to toothpaste whose tubes weren't sealed off in the past.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

It would never have occurred to me that floss expires, which means mine probably has, since I bought it, then started using a different kind, and am now back on the old. I definitely use my contact lenses longer than the "2 weeks" I'm supposed to...like WAY longer...I don't throw out a contact lens until it tears! So expired hair products are no big deal to me...though I don't stock up, I just buy one thing at a time, so my stuff doesn't usually expire before I'm through with it. (Unlike my contacts...)

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I've used shampoo and conditioner that's long expired and it was okay

5.7 inches // 14.4 cm thickness :: APL length
    Going to Classic and beyond ^^

Length
    Chin/FTL+/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It takes a darn while for shampoo or conditioner to go bad. Not talking about the newer stuff without parabens or so, but the older stuff, boy, that holds on like no other!

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

If it smells fine and not changed in constituency then am sure its safe,i have a conditioner that's 25 yrs old it looks and smells fine but am yet to be brave enough to use it but i am going to give it a try sometime soon,my mum used a shampoo that is 15 years old a few months back she was fine,her hair turned out very nice i was quite impressed!

i have many old shampoos only once did one change to a watery runny goo with an odd colour,one out a huge stash in not bad really,so one over a year old is fine i would have no problem of using it,in my mind a year old shampoo is seen as new...

Length
    Chin/30/TBL+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Honestly I think it has a lot to do with exposure to air.
    If a product really hasn’t been opened I always feel that the expire date on the back (12 months) (24 months) etc
    Is based on after opening.. I mean there’s no actual date date. So how can anyone really know?
    That bottle of shampoo could have been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months before being put out on the sales floor.. we don’t know. And at that point it’s almost 1/4 the way there to it’s doom.
    As long as it sits and doesn’t get opened, isn’t exposed to air or water, then it’s shelf life is very much extended.
    Keeping things in a dark, cool, dry place keeps stuff nice and good. Even better if it’s got a seal.
    But that’s how I see it - I’ve used products older than 2 years old no problems.
    I always check the smell, consistency and color though because you never know!
    I would not dare touch something 10 years old though.. I don’t think I would ever use a product so little that it could get that old though lol

----Pixie---Shoulder---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---CL---->
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.