Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should you use shampoo or conditioner that is over a year old?

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Should you use shampoo or conditioner that is over a year old?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Update: every conventional hair/toiletry product I've checked so far does have a symbol for shelf-life once opened, and batch/lot numbers, but no expiration dates on things like cleansers and hair products. Toothpaste and floss do have expiration dates though. Just in case anybody cared enough to want to know
    I guess different countries have different policies on expiration dates. Every single product I own has one, even nail polishes, and nail polishes are proven to be basically immortal. Things that don't expire, like cotton buds or toothbrushes, have either date of manufacturing or something like "unlimited shelf life" written on the packaging.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL

Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Update: every conventional hair/toiletry product I've checked so far does have a symbol for shelf-life once opened, and batch/lot numbers, but no expiration dates on things like cleansers and hair products. Toothpaste and floss do have expiration dates though. Just in case anybody cared enough to want to know
    You don't want to know how old my stockpile of toothpaste is - and I still use it. I read somewhere it can keep for up to 2 years after the expiry date.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/LTL/Knee+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    You don't want to know how old my stockpile of toothpaste is - and I still use it. I read somewhere it can keep for up to 2 years after the expiry date.
    Here we have 'Best before' dates and 'expiry/use by' dates; both are based on scientific analysis but the difference is one of safety. The best before dates are recommendations, and usually a kind of guarantee that the product will taste/function as intended up until that point. E.g. biscuits, after the best before date might be stale or whatever. Expiry dates are an indication of how long the product will be safe. Sometimes they're very conservative - e.g. I've always found yoghurt to be absolutely fine for some months after the date; other times they should be followed e.g. how long the nitrogen in the packaging for meat will inhibit bacterial growth. (Tbh I don't know enough about the science behind the dates on toothpaste/floss/etc to make an informed decision about that though. I have found in the past that older toothpaste has become a lot thicker in consistency and was difficult to use, so since then I've not kept too much of a stash anyway ) I guess hair products and similar toiletries are designed to be stable until they're opened and oxygen enters the container, which is where the shelf-life comes in.
    Nearly-Knee by 'Nineteen / A Year-and-a-half to Calf?
    A girl can dream!

Length
    20/20/30
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

a year doesn't sound old to me. If it looks, smells and feels good I would!