The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Mct vs Coconut oil?

That's what I found via a quick google search:

What Is MCT Oil?
    MCT stands for medium chain triglycerides or medium chain fatty acids. They’re types of fat most often derived from coconut oil but sometimes made from palm oil.

MCT oil is colorless, odorless, and stays liquid at room temperature, making it the perfect fat to add to food, smoothies, and coffee for extra energy and brain-boosting benefits.

But before we jump into the benefits of MCTs, let’s talk about how MCTs work in your body.

How do MCTs work?
    There are several types of fatty acids in coconut oil, but only four strains of MCTs:

Caproic acid (C6)
    Caprylic Acid (C8 )
    Capric Acid (C10)
    Lauric Acid (C12)
    MCTs are known for providing you with quick energy and a sharper brain. They’re absorbed more quickly than other fats and easily converted into energy. Or at least three of them are.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL

Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Looks like I might not want that in my hair, though... Maybe that's me. Thank you, Joules. My Google-fu must have let me down.

I prefer oils like sweet almond, macadamia, jojoba and such. I am now using a neem blend by Dr. Hauschka and it is a lovely oil.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

lapushka, well, if you think about it, all oils are basically a mix of various fatty acids with a couple of vitamins thrown in, all diluted in fat. MCT sounds like a concentrated version of coconut oil. Idk, if it was readily available in any supermarket, I'd probably try it, but it's not, so I'll pass
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL

Length
    CBL/CL/FTL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    lapushka, well, if you think about it, all oils are basically a mix of various fatty acids with a couple of vitamins thrown in, all diluted in fat. MCT sounds like a concentrated version of coconut oil. Idk, if it was readily available in any supermarket, I'd probably try it, but it's not, so I'll pass
    I found multiple brands in the pharmacy section at our local health food store just now while hunting for a new oil to try. I don't think I would have even noticed it except for this thread! But my thought would be, if it's like coconut oil and coconut oil didn't work for OP, maybe a different route would be more fruitful.
    {just a little longer I promise}
    Please be advised that LHC-itis can become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    Chin/FTL/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    I found multiple brands in the pharmacy section at our local health food store just now while hunting for a new oil to try. I don't think I would have even noticed it except for this thread! But my thought would be, if it's like coconut oil and coconut oil didn't work for OP, maybe a different route would be more fruitful.
    My thoughts exactly.

I would also go an entirely different direction.

There's plenty of other oils still out there to try, olive, sweet almond, macadamia, jojoba, neem, castor, mineral/baby, etc.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/CL/FTL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I would also go an entirely different direction.

There's plenty of other oils still out there to try, olive, sweet almond, macadamia, jojoba, neem, castor, mineral/baby, etc.
    Olive oil especially would be cheap to try, and is supposed to have decent penetration. Not that penetration is necessary for an oil to work well, but if that's what you're going for.
    {just a little longer I promise}
    Please be advised that LHC-itis can become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    Pixie/15"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Looks like I might not want that in my hair, though... Maybe that's me. Thank you, Joules. My Google-fu must have let me down.

I prefer oils like sweet almond, macadamia, jojoba and such. I am now using a neem blend by Dr. Hauschka and it is a lovely oil.
    All it really is, is fractionated coconut oil thats been purified so its edible. If you ever see liquid coconut oil in the cooking oil section, its pretty much the same thing. Of course there will be a bit of difference but not enough to justify paying extra for the name MCT.
    Stay calm and waffle on

Length
    5/5/30
    Type
    4c/F/i/ii

I might skip mct then