Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should you use shampoo or conditioner that is over a year old?

Default Should you use shampoo or conditioner that is over a year old?

Do you think it is safe to use shampoo and conditioner that is over a year old and what are your opinions on using it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Should you use shampoo or conditioner that is over a year old?

Last year I used Nivea shampoo that was 10+ years old. If the consistency is fine, and the smell is fine, it is OK to use, provided you aren't allergic to anything, so patch test inside your wrist if you're worried.

I had no issues. I constantly this year am using things that are at least 5 year old, without problems.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    40/42/45
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Unless it smells off or has changed texture, I think it's fine to use. I have some conditoner from 2005 that is still good and I still use it when my hair needs something extra heavy. In my experience when products go bad it is very obvious; they develop a rancid smell and if it's conditioner it may have separated. Even if you never smelled the product when it was new, I think it is still easy to recognize the bad, almost metallic smell.
    { tailbone classic fingertip knee ankle }

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Yeah, a year is nothing for most products. "Natural" stuff might be more in danger of going bad, but as lapushka and Doreen have said, it will smell funny or separate if it's bad.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    40/42/45
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Good point Zesty. The products I use are all very coney/synthetic. I doubt an all-natural product from 2005 would be anywhere near usable...
    { tailbone classic fingertip knee ankle }

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I had an Urtekram no perfume conditioner from 2008, I believe (best before 2008, so 10 years old), used it up - was still OK. It is "slightly" more natural than say Pantene or Herbal Essences, and it lasted the course. I discovered it in the back of my cupboard, poor lonesome bottle. LOL!

OTOH, I have had shampoo go bad before its "due date" (turned to a snot-like consistency), which was the Lavera shampoo. Never again bought that brand. That was totally unacceptable to me.

Length
    12,5/35,4/37
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'd say you could give it a try if it still looks good and smells ok / normal. I have lots of older stuff since I tend to buy more than I can use up in time and most things stay good much longer than it's said on the label.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, definitely give it a go. You'd be surprised at how long things like this keep.

And if it's iffy, then you can use it up in a handsoap container. That's what I do with shampoos that I can't use up for any odd reason. I always try to use them up, though!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I should hope over a year old is okay to use, otherwise my stash is pointless

In my experience, even most of the products that claim to be 'natural' are far from it, especially larger/more widely distributed brands, and have stabilisers/preservatives that derive from plant sources so they can legitimately claim to be 'plant-based'. On the other hand, actually fairly natural products from smaller producers, especially the handmade ones, do have a shelf-life of the length of time they say (usually ~6 months) because they don't have long-lasting preservatives. You can usually trust your senses re: smell and consistency if you know your ingredients enough to see that a list doesn't include preservatives, that also helps you know whether you need to use it up at the time you buy it or if you can keep it for later.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I should hope over a year old is okay to use, otherwise my stash is pointless

In my experience, even most of the products that claim to be 'natural' are far from it, especially larger/more widely distributed brands, and have stabilisers/preservatives that derive from plant sources so they can legitimately claim to be 'plant-based'. On the other hand, actually fairly natural products from smaller producers, especially the handmade ones, do have a shelf-life of the length of time they say (usually ~6 months) because they don't have long-lasting preservatives. You can usually trust your senses re: smell and consistency if you know your ingredients enough to see that a list doesn't include preservatives, that also helps you know whether you need to use it up at the time you buy it or if you can keep it for later.
    Couldn't agree more.

If you have a slight stash, I recommend you putting the oldest bottles (most recently purchased) to the back of the cupboard, so you use it up in some form or order. I mostly have my stash organized like that. Sometimes there's a bottle that gets lost in there, but for the most part, it's fine.