Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any hair styles you just cannot get right matter how much you try?

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Are there any hair styles you just cannot get right matter how much you try?

Quote Originally Posted by AutobotsAttack View Post
    Cornrows. Sometimes I feel weird since it’s a cultural thing that almost anyone of my ethnicity knows how to do, and for years I still can’t understand how it works. Oh well.
    I can’t cornrow either, and I look like I should be able to do so. But I don’t think they look good on me, so it’s not an issue.

I can’t do the orchid bun either, which is far more irritating because I like the way it looks on others. I tried it again after seeing this thread, following along with Sarahlabyrinth’s youtube tutorial, and managed to do it but it looked pathetic. But I think with a little more practice and length it will look better. I hope so, anyway.
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Are there any hair styles you just cannot get right matter how much you try?

So, so many... I'm quite updo-challenged

Some failures of distinction (despite repeated attempts):
    • French braid - sectioning the cobweb hair leaves me crying by the 3rd pass
    • French twist - it either looks drunk or looks like I was drunk when I did my hair
    • Bee butt bun - just depressing
    • Any kind of split bun - even more depressing
    • Fishtail braid - 5 times the work of a regular braid for a result that looks like an incompetant regular braid
    • Cinnabun - explodey...yeah, I can't even cinnabun, hehehe
    Last edited by school of fish; October 9th, 2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Typo
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Lazy-wrap buns! I just can't get them! I also don't do any style that requires you to weave one strand of hair between two braids (faux five/six/seven strand braids etc). It would cause massive tangles and breakage.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I can't do Gibson tucks or French twists, I think that my hair is just way too thick because it just sticks out in a very sloppy-looking way. I'm quite sad about not being able to do these two styles, they look so effortlessly elegant when they're done well.

I can do a decent-looking crown braid but it usually takes me a few attempts, and even if I do get it more or less right my scalp starts to hurt after wearing it for a few hours I think because my hair is being parted in a direction that it's not used to. I persevere though because I love the look of crown braids, and maybe one day I'll find a way to make them work for me.

I can't do French braids at the moment either because of my growing in undercut - the shorter bits of my hair at my nape stick out and it looks a bit ridiculous, a few more months should hopefully remedy that though. I can at least do a Dutch braid if I use a couple of bobby pins, and I can do double Dutch and French braids

Length
    3 inc/62 “/74”
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Yes!!!!!!!

The Nautilus bun. My Nemesis.......

Hair tutorials do NOT help.....
    Lady Shannon
    Dragon Longhaired Knights
    Cairehre Mountains

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Any bun outside of a cinnamon bun until it gets to at least WL if not longer. I have never been able to fishtail braid, it's too complex for me.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(20")~BSL(24")~WL(27")~HL(30")~TBL(34")

Length
    3 inc/62 “/74”
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    Any bun outside of a cinnamon bun until it gets to at least WL if not longer. I have never been able to fishtail braid, it's too complex for me.
    Isn't it funny how we can do styles that one groups thinks 'too intricate' easily and be totally inept at what another group thinks of as basic styling
    Lady Shannon
    Dragon Longhaired Knights
    Cairehre Mountains

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

The Cinnabun. Oh I can do it, up until the point of getting it to hold with hair sticks then it starts to go down hill fast. My Cinnabuns end up looking like cat bums.
    ​You Zarkin Frood

Length
    24/24/30
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I can never get a French Twist right, and I'm not sure why XD But I guess I'll keep trying!

Length
    SL/KL/MTL
    Type
    2b/C/iii

A significant number of buns but that's due to length vs thickness issues.

Gibson tucks and fans are horrible for me, not 100% sure why, and unfortunately, I think they look lovely
    I have a feeling it's when I have to do the second topsy tail?

With plaits/braids, on the other hand, I haven't yet found a hairdo I couldn't do taken enough time and practice.
    Loose: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL
    Braided: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL