Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2015: Helix Bun

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default January 2015: Helix Bun

The Helix Bun is one we haven't done before. Apologies to the shorter or thicker haired who can't do this one. Is a half-up possible? Can you find a way of modifying it?

Discussion and tutorials can be found here.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    <3in/Chin?/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: January 2015: Helix Bun

Hmm, I said.
    I bet with some sectioning, I could make something that is a bit like that, I said.

Whatever that thing is, it's actually really comfortable and holds like a rock!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    31ish/54/Term
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I am sure I tried this previously and couldn't do it at all, but I tried last night and it worked (on the third attempt)! I'm wearing my hair in a Helix bun today, and I'll put up a picture tonight when I get home.

The video I watched, by Gossamer, said that her hair (at ankle) was too long for it to work properly, but I have to say I found my (much thinner) hair is a bit too long at just past classic, so it does seem to be one that depends a lot on thickness as well as length how easy it is to do.

two_wheels, my first attempt looked much worse, and I wasn't trying anything clever with sectioning. Glad it was comfy and secure anyway

Sarahlabyrinth, yours looks a bit different to the versions I've seen, but very pretty!
    Last edited by ashke50; January 5th, 2015 at 07:43 AM.

~There is no spoon~

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I tried this and my hair at hip is WAY too short. I'm going to need 6-8 inches more hair.
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ashke50 View Post
    I am sure I tried this previously and couldn't do it at all, but I tried last night and it worked (on the third attempt)! I'm wearing my hair in a Helix bun today, and I'll put up a picture tonight when I get home.

The video I watched, by Gossamer, said that her hair (at ankle) was too long for it to work properly, but I have to say I found my (much thinner) hair is a bit too long at just past classic, so it does seem to be one that depends a lot on thickness as well as length how easy it is to do.

two_wheels, my first attempt looked much worse, and I wasn't trying anything clever with sectioning. Glad it was comfy and secure anyway

Sarahlabyrinth, yours looks a bit different to the versions I've seen, but very pretty!
    That is the reverse side of it - the other side looks like the "normal" helix. Yes, I love the helix bun.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    31ish/54/Term
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Here's a picture of mine, taken at the end of the day so it is rather fluffy. You can see the tail, which I've wrapped round a couple of times, but it held all day and was really comfy!

ETA - my first attempt is decorating the Hairstyles Gone Rogue thread!
    Last edited by ashke50; January 5th, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

~There is no spoon~

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Wow, so pretty everyone! Ashke - that is thudworthy!

I think my official hair goal is probably going to be "long enough to achieve a beautiful helix bun".
    I'm not sure I can manage even twin helix buns, but I may give sectioning a go. In the meantime, I hope there will be more beautiful Helix Buns popping up!
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    13/31/Donno
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

DreamSheep, that is my official hair goal. It's just too long to put in the little space provided. My best guess is it will take TMI length, so that's my goal.
    ISO: Medium or Small leopard, border, or silky Logo ficcare
    Pixie to TBL. Cut back to waist, thinking of going shorter

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Yeah, HOTM is back!

Double yay, it's a style I can do!
    My hair's a bit long to look great with this, but most often I just care that whatever style holds it up comfortably, which it does, so meh.
    I'll do it and get a pick at some point this month.
    Knee+ length! Lady Gel˘s, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3