Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Nightmare~Salon~Trip Stories Here!!!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Share Your Nightmare~Salon~Trip Stories Here!!!

I went into a salon impulsively and asked for a haircut that someone had described to me as being particularly suitable for my features. I had no pictures. The stylist was at least 8 months pregnant and looked exhausted. She gave me one of the worst haircuts that I have ever seen. I felt the only way I could fix it was to get an even shorter haircut - a pixie - several days later from a different stylist at a different salon.

Most of my hairstylists have been very good. Maybe I'm scary; no one has ever cut off more hair than I asked for without making the suggestion and getting my agreement.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I went into a salon impulsively and asked for a haircut that someone had described to me as being particularly suitable for my features. I had no pictures. The stylist was at least 8 months pregnant and looked exhausted. She gave me one of the worst haircuts that I have ever seen. I felt the only way I could fix it was to get an even shorter haircut - a pixie - several days later from a different stylist at a different salon.

Most of my hairstylists have been very good. Maybe I'm scary; no one has ever cut off more hair than I asked for without making the suggestion and getting my agreement.
    Wow! If someone gave me a terrible haircut, to the point where I had to get a pixie cut to fix it, I would be devastated! While I adore pixie cuts on some women, it just doesn’t suit me at all. I would feel like a total stranger.

You’re lucky you have only one bad experience to share. I could write a book!

Another time, I went to get my hair permed...a spiral perm at a hair school to save some bucks. This was many years back when I was a teenager. I came out looking like I had hair up to my ears when it was down to the lower part of my back before I went in. Fortunately the curls loosened up over time but I really hated it at first. The curls were way too tight and not the ramen noodle waves I was expecting.

Furthermore, nobody gave me a towel to cover my face and eyes while they applied the chemicals and I nearly passed out from the fumes. The supervisor finally came back and gave me a towel to cover my face. It was pretty intense.

Length
    40/42/45
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie Locks View Post
    By the way Doreen, I see from your avatar that you have gorgeous hair. Nobody should be saying anything but wonderful things about it.
    Thanks so much Blondie Locks! I love that photo in your signature. Your bun looks so perfect and sleek!
    { tailbone classic fingertip knee ankle }

a spiral perm at a hair school to save some bucks.
    My experience is precisely opposite yours. I mentioned barber bouncing. I went to a barber college as well. When I asked for a flattop the excitement in the room spiked.

A flattop is the ultimate expression of the barbering art. And it is not a style currently taught at barber college, though given their reactions I'm not sure why.

I had the instructor administer the cut while I sat surrounded by a dozen students taking detailed notes. The experience was surreal. But I also got THE best cut I'd ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    My experience is precisely opposite yours. I mentioned barber bouncing. I went to a barber college as well. When I asked for a flattop the excitement in the room spiked.

A flattop is the ultimate expression of the barbering art. And it is not a style currently taught at barber college, though given their reactions I'm not sure why.

I had the instructor administer the cut while I sat surrounded by a dozen students taking detailed notes. The experience was surreal. But I also got THE best cut I'd ever had.
    I’m not surprised. I’ve heard about a lot of great experiences people have had at hair schools.

Hey, it could have been far worse for me. My friend once got a perm at a salon and her hair fell out!

In less than 2 months the curls loosened up and I ended up loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
    Thanks so much Blondie Locks! I love that photo in your signature. Your bun looks so perfect and sleek!
    Oh you’re so welcome, Doreen! It looks very thick too. Whoever would make fun of long beautiful thick hair like that, needs their head read!

Thank you about my bun!!!
    Last edited by Blondie Locks; September 23rd, 2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

No real horror stories. Some of them need to think about what they say. It's still in my mind from when I was about 15, a stylist talking down to me, being truly rude, and I was powerless to do anything because I was a kid and my mom had brought me there. Now, as an adult, I would just walk out.

The last stylist I went to for a major cut. And she did exactly as I asked and was super careful to cut only as much as I wanted. But she seemed to have a need to put down my hair as it was before so she could favorably compare to the way she cut it. She said it had been too long and so much better now, and ends were uneven before (by which she meant somewhat fairy-tailed and not blunt). She actually said that she was "shocked" by how long it was when I took it down from my bun and she didn't mean it in a good way. And my hair was only TBL... Lady, I'm glad for the haircut, but I also liked the way my hair was before! There's no need to put it down.
    Last edited by Alex Lou; September 23rd, 2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lou View Post
    No real horror stories. Some of them need to think about what they say. It's still in my mind from when I was about 15, a stylist talking down to me, being truly rude, and I was powerless to do anything because I was a kid and my mom had brought me there. Now, as an adult, I would just walk out.

The last stylist I went to for a major cut. And she did exactly as I asked and was super careful to cut only as much as I wanted. But she seemed to have a need to put down my hair as it was before so she could favorably compare to the way she cut it. She said it had been too long and so much better now, and ends were uneven before (by which she meant somewhat fairy-tailed and not blunt). Lady, I'm glad for the haircut, but I also liked the way my hair was before! There's no need to put it down.
    Yeah, like what’s up with that! They think because you’re sitting in their chair, that they now have the right to say whatever they want about your hair, as though it somehow belonged to them.

Has anyone noticed too...of course their are exceptions...that many hair stylists have terrible hair? I’m talking fried, frazzled and badly over-processed? I mean they are hairdressers. Shouldn’t they have the most gorgeous hair of all? Makes no sense to me. Their hair kind of advertises them as stylists and what does it say when you’re meeting them for the first time and their hair looks worse than a bad Halloween wig?
    Last edited by Blondie Locks; September 23rd, 2018 at 10:09 PM.

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Yeah, like what’s up with that! They think because you’re sitting in their chair, that they now have the right to say whatever they want about your hair, as though it somehow belonged to them.

Has anyone noticed too...of course their are exceptions...that many hair stylists have terrible hair? I’m talking fried, frazzled and badly over-processed? I mean they are hairdressers. Shouldn’t they have the most gorgeous hair of all? Makes no sense to me. Their hair kind of advertises them as stylists and what does it say when you’re meeting them for the first time and their hair looks worse than a bad Halloween wig?
    I think it's an occupational hazard. They have access to other stylists, all the bleach, tools, chemicals. They seem to get their hair styled, cut, and dyed frequently. Another comment I get is what good condition my hair is in. Yes, in comparison to the stylists and people who frequent salons, my hair is in very good condition. Even when my hair was in the worst condition of my life, I got that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lou View Post
    I think it's an occupational hazard. They have access to other stylists, all the bleach, tools, chemicals. They seem to get their hair styled, cut, and dyed frequently. Another comment I get is what good condition my hair is in. Yes, in comparison to the stylists and people who frequent salons, my hair is in very good condition. Even when my hair was in the worst condition of my life, I got that comment.
    Yup, I’ve heard that occupational hazard excuse from them before....but then why do they go on and on, preaching about taking better care of your hair, coming in for regular trims and not using too much heat....when their own hair is completely fried! Talking about how people’s ends are damaged and they need to cut off 5 inches...when they’re standing there with hair that looks like a broom!